metafrasi banner

comfort foods = φαγητά που (σου) φτιάχνουν τη διάθεση

pontios

a comforting drink is a soothing drink that you'd have to relax/wind down ... that's about it (there are no other connotations).
Anyway, are there comfort drinks (alongside comfort foods)? ... and I'm not referring to Southern Comfort the fruit-flavoured liqueur ;-)

I think the one that nickel referred to (ευφραντικό ποτό) is a pick me up (a drink taken to raise one's spirits/ to cheer a person up or give them more energy).

Last edited:

cougr

¥
I'd argue that there are definitely more connotations to it. One could, for instance, have a comforting drink to assuage their grumpiness or sadness and to cheer themselves up.
In the long list of synonyms to the term "comforting" you'll find words such as cheering, gladdening, inspiriting, heartening etc. all of which, it could be argued, relate to "ευφραντικό". So I think that at least in some instances, it could work.
As for the term "comfort drinks", it's not all that uncommon. It usually refers to hot beverages but definitely not exclusively so.

Last edited:

pontios

The thing is with comfort foods (unlike "comfort drinks") you don't need to argue anything - we know what they are (it has been established in English).
They are foods that can bring you cheer/joy/cheer you up/lift your mood when it's down, but that is one aspect only, of course.
There are many more sides to it (when it comes to comfort foods).

A comforting drink to me is one that relaxes ... you could be happy already (and not need any cheering up) and just enjoying a drink to unwind after a busy day where everything has gone right for you. That is how I see it.
And the same is true with comfort foods ... you don't always need to be cheered up, they might be foods that have cheered you up/comforted you in the past, that you go back to whenever you just want to enjoy them (just for the sake of enjoying them).
They are "tried and true" foods that have an emotional value for you for whatever reason.

Last edited:

pontios

Just adding: ... (both are established terms, although informal).
I know they differ from "comfort" or "comforting," but may be worth noting, in any case.

pick me up drinks (re-energising or feel-good drinks that can lift your mood or make you feel better).
pick me up foods (re-energising or feel-good foods that can lift your mood or make you feel better).

pick-me-up (informal)
noun [ C ]
something, often food or drink, that gives you more energy or makes you feel better:
I need a little pick-me-up in the middle of the afternoon. (Cambridge Dictionary)

Last edited:

cougr

¥
In reference to #43

As with comfort foods there are more facets to a comforting drink.

A few examples from a cursory search:

"a hot, comforting drink that will cheer even the grumpiest non- morning person"

".... is a comforting drink that invites conviviality rather than reflection"

"To warm and cheer them with a comforting drink" . etc. etc.

pontios

It can be interpreted that way, I suppose, cougr. :-)
A relaxing/soothing drink can cheer you up by making you feel better (even if you already felt good prior to the drinking/imbibing) ... it's always nice to feel relaxed.

I think the comforting "makes you feel better," in all cases -- whether that's by relaxing you/making you more tranquil or cheering you up/making you happier. You are getting what you need (emotionally) from this "comforting."
There are a few pathways ... but, by being comforted you're always made to "feel better" at the end.
That's what I'm taking out of it.
The end (of all this comforting, which is "feeling better" in all cases) justifies the circuitous means.

Last edited:

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Λοιπόν, στο προχθεσινό επεισόδιο του Master Chef οι σεφ έδωσαν συγχαρητήρια σε έναν παίκτη, λέγοντάς του ότι το φαγητό του είναι στην κατηγορία κόμφορτ (Όπως είπα, δεν έχουμε ελπίδα) ή σπιτικού φαγητού. Φαίνεται να χρησιμοποιείται στις κουζίνες με αυτήν τη χρήση, κι εμένα μου αρέσει ως εναλλακτική.

Zazula

Administrator
Staff member
Λοιπόν, στο προχθεσινό επεισόδιο του Master Chef οι σεφ έδωσαν συγχαρητήρια σε έναν παίκτη, λέγοντάς του ότι το φαγητό του είναι στην κατηγορία κόμφορτ (Όπως είπα, δεν έχουμε ελπίδα) ή σπιτικού φαγητού. Φαίνεται να χρησιμοποιείται στις κουζίνες με αυτήν τη χρήση, κι εμένα μου αρέσει ως εναλλακτική.
Έχει για σένα τόσο μεγάλη διαφορά το σπιτικό φαγητό από το μαμαδίστικο (που δεν το θες);

pontios

... φαγητά που σε «παρηγορούν»/ φαγητά που σε κάνουν να νιώθεις καλύτερα :unsure: :-)

Last edited:
Πραγματικά, η αίσθηση της αγκαλιάς είναι αυτή που συσχετίζω περισσότερο με την έννοια «comfort food»... Στη διατύπωση κολλάω.

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Φαγητά της θαλπωρής.
Εάριε, είπαμε, έχω καιρό να εμφανιστώ συστηματικά, αλλά δώσε μου και λίγη σημασία :p

Θα μου άρεσε αν η «θαλπωρή» είχε επίθετο, γιατί αυτό ακριβώς ψάχνουμε. Θα μπορούσαμε ίσως να πούμε «φαγητό της θαλπωρής» αλλά και πάλι, δεν έχω ελπίδα ότι μια γαστρονομική στήλη θα το περιέγραφε ποτέ έτσι.

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Ααααααααααααα, αποφασίζουμε και διατάζουμε, εντάξει, συμφωνώ με την απόδοση, δε με νοιάζει :p

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Παλάβρα, κάπως πρέπει να κλείσει το νήμα! 😃
Θα κλείσει με σούμα του κυρίου που το άνοιξε. Προσεγγίζει το θέμα με όλη τη σοβαρότητα που του αρμόζει.

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Θα κλείσει με σούμα του κυρίου που το άνοιξε. Προσεγγίζει το θέμα με όλη τη σοβαρότητα που του αρμόζει.
Έχει φτιάξει και τρώει τίποτα γιουβαρλάκια που πάνε και με το χιόνι;

pontios

re: my deleted post ....
Sorry if I offended anyone (it wasn't my intention). It is just some silly theory/law afaic. :(

Last edited: