παίζουμε τις κουμπάρες = a game of make-believe, (a game of) dress-up | kidding each other; playing (silly) games

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Μια και η έκφραση ήρθε στην επικαιρότητα:

παίζουμε τις κουμπάρες
1. (στην παιδική γλώσσα) παιχνίδι χωρίς ειδικούς κανόνες, στο οποίο τα παιδιά παριστάνουν τις νοικοκυρές.
2. (ειρωνικά) κοροϊδευόμαστε, αντιμετωπίζουμε ένα θέμα επιπόλαια.

https://el.wiktionary.org/wiki/παίζουμε_τις_κουμπάρες

(Έκανα μια μικρή αλλαγή στη 2η σημασία.)

Για το παιχνίδι:

Dress-up is a game played mainly by children. It involves dressing up, usually to impersonate someone or something, like an animal or character in a fairy tale. The type of clothes they dress up in often resembles who they are trying to be, either adults' clothing or special play clothes designed specifically for dress-up like feather boas and jewelry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dress-up

Ίσως στην αγγλική κουλτούρα η μεταμφίεση παίζει μεγαλύτερο ρόλο από την υποκριτική. Στα δικά μας φτωχικά μέσα ταιριάζει περισσότερο το game of make-believe.

Όσο για τη μεταφορική σημασία, let's stop kidding each other. Ας σταματήσουμε να παίζουμε τις κουμπάρες.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Ανήκει και στα Best Music Legends... (Ούτε που το θυμόμουν!)

Μήπως ξέρει κανείς πώς το μετέφρασε ο διερμηνέας του Τουσκ;

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Μήπως ξέρει κανείς πώς το μετέφρασε ο διερμηνέας του Τουσκ;

Όχι, αλλά υποθέτω ότι σε αυτή την έκφραση αναφέρεται η παρακάτω παράγραφος από την αγγλική Καθημερινή:

“We will not tolerate games being played at the expense of the Greek people for much longer,” he said, adding that failure to arrive at an agreement in Malta on Friday would necessitate an attempt to reach a deal at a higher level, possibly an emergency summit of EU leaders.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/217466/...pras-suggests-eu-summit-as-bailout-talks-drag

pontios

Δεν ξέρω αν ταιριάζουν εδώ και τα ακόλουθα. ....pantomime, masquerade, travesty;
Pantomime might be the closest (as it especially refers to children - but it might be too theatrical?).

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Στα Παραπολιτικά βρήκα μια περιγραφή τού πώς παίζονταν οι κουμπάρες, ίσως πριν κι από τα δικά μου χρόνια:

Τα κορίτσια έπαιρναν τα ρούχα των μαμάδων τους (κρυφά συνήθως) και ντύνονταν «μεγαλίστικα». Παρίσταναν τις «κυρίες», με τα ψηλοτάκουνα της μαμάς. Πολλές φορές, για να φτιάξουν ψηλά τακούνια, έπαιρναν καρούλια και τα έδεναν κάτω από τα παπούτσια τους.
Μάζευαν κομμάτια από σπασμένα πιάτα, προτιμώντας εκείνα με τα σχέδια και τα στόλιζαν πάνω σε σανίδες. Μαγείρευαν με τα αυτοσχέδια κουζινικά τους, κουτσομπόλευαν, τάιζαν τα… «μωρά τους», δηλαδή τις πάνινες κούκλες τους, έκαναν επισκέψεις η μια στην άλλη. «Καλημέρα, κυρά-κουμπάρα, τι νέα;» «Καλά, κυρα-κουμπάρα».
Όλα αυτά τα έπαιζαν σε «σπιτάκια» που διαμόρφωναν κατάλληλα με ξύλα, πέτρες και … μπόλικη φαντασία, στη μικρή αυλή του σπιτιού τους ή έξω στο δρόμο της γειτονιάς, που μοσχοβολούσε βασιλικό κι ασβέστη.

Πηγή: http://www.parapolitika.gr/article/etsi-pezonte-ikoumpares-pouepistratefse-tsipras

Στα χρόνια που θυμάμαι εγώ τα κοριτσάκια έπαιρναν κανένα σερβίτσιο του τσαγιού που τους είχαν κάνει δώρο και προσπαθούσαν να μιμηθούν τον τρόπο που οι μαμάδες και οι φιλενάδες των μαμάδων τους μαζεύονταν και λέγανε τα οικογενειακά τους και τα κουτσομπολιά τους. Τόσο αιμοβόρικα πράγματα...

Ίσως το pantomime στη μη θεατρική του σημασία να ταίριαζε λίγο. Όσο για το travesty, θα ταίριαζε στην πολιτική συζήτηση: a travesty of negotiations.

The commonest phrases heard at least in the UK are "playing mummies and daddies". Here a concerned mother asks a question:

Hi! I have got a four year old girl and she has been playing mummies and daddies with another boy her age and has tried to breastfeed him! His mum has got a bit upset about this because he doesn't play those games with anyone else and she wants him to play cars etc. with the boys. Is this sort of behaviour normal? What should I be saying to my girl about trying to breastfeed the boy? - Help!.

Or, second, "playing grown-ups".http://www.holidayswithkids.com.au/FSK/__data/page/8587/1402913_648152228557048_955538111_o.jpg

And, having had time to think, in the political sphere I think I might say "playing a game of political charades" or "political posturing" perhaps. :(

Όχι, αλλά υποθέτω ότι σε αυτή την έκφραση αναφέρεται η παρακάτω παράγραφος από την αγγλική Καθημερινή:

“We will not tolerate games being played at the expense of the Greek people for much longer,” he said, adding that failure to arrive at an agreement in Malta on Friday would necessitate an attempt to reach a deal at a higher level, possibly an emergency summit of EU leaders.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/217466/...pras-suggests-eu-summit-as-bailout-talks-drag

Μάλιστα, το λογικό και ασφαλές. Ευχαριστώ!

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
The commonest phrases heard at least in the UK are "playing mummies and daddies". Here a concerned mother asks a question:

Hi! I have got a four year old girl and she has been playing mummies and daddies with another boy her age and has tried to breastfeed him! His mum has got a bit upset about this because he doesn't play those games with anyone else and she wants him to play cars etc. with the boys. Is this sort of behaviour normal? What should I be saying to my girl about trying to breastfeed the boy? - Help!.

Or, second, "playing grown-ups".http://www.holidayswithkids.com.au/FSK/__data/page/8587/1402913_648152228557048_955538111_o.jpg

No, Theseus, this is παίζουν το γιατρό in Greek (play doctor).

'Playing doctors & nurses' is the phrase we use for παίζουν το γιατρό. 'Playing mummies & daddies/grown-ups' has a wider application. Of course, when used by 'adults' it has colloquially a sexual meaning but to children it may mean any pretend game that is a serious attempt to imitate what children observe their parents doing, including 'lying, evading, boozing, shouting in anger and falling apart' [a Guardian sub-headline].

pontios

There's "play acting" too - we might not need to specify what exactly it is that we're engaging in?

We won't tolerate any more tomfoolery/antics/games/posturing/play-acting/faking/acting fake/make-believe/ farcical behaviour/clowning around/kidding around... it's time to get real/it's time for a reality check/it's time to grow up and start taking things seriously.

pontios

There's "play acting" too - we might not need to specify what exactly it is that we're engaging in?

We won't tolerate any more tomfoolery/antics/games/posturing/play-acting/faking/acting fake/make-believe/ farcical behaviour/clowning around/kidding around... it's time to get real/it's time for a reality check/it's time to grow up and start taking things seriously.

I could have thrown "childish or puerile" in there too ...... childish antics, childish games, puerile behaviour, juvenile/infantile behaviour etc...

Also...
"Party games" are for kids ... We will not tolerate party games being played at the expense of .....?

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
"Playing mummies and daddies" for the Greek version of "κουμπάρες" is probably inappropriate because boys do not usually participate in the game. This is strictly little girls pretending to be their mummies and their female friends.

pontios

There's another interpretation of the phrase I'm aware of and described here ( slang.gr).

I didn't know this about the Greek phrase specifically, but ...
There would be several layers and varying degrees of deception and fooling around/clowning around/pretence/ hoodwinking in all this (play-acting/make-believe, etc..) .. so I'm not surprised to see it extending to shenanigans/sexual dalliances?

I mean there are party games and then there are sex party games - which is just "fooling/clowning around" of a different variety (or horseplay of a different colour).

... and I just saw nickel's post, above.

I too am aware of the slang meaning, cougr, but in this context what does μου την έχει δώσει mean in this context:-
- Η Μαρία πήγε στη Ρώμη με το αφεντικό της για «δουλειές». Μου την έχει δώσει!
- Μήπως είσαι παράξενος;
- Στο ίδιο δωμάτιο μένουν ρε μαλάκα, τι λες εσύ, το βράδυ να παίζουν τις κουμπάρες;
Does the phrase in bold mean 'she has got on my nerves?' or has it another meaning?:confused:

cougr

¥
Nickel, two things: Firstly, thanks for answering Theseus's query on my behalf:upz: otherwise he would've been waiting until now.
Secondly, just a suggestion, I feel that the expression "playing (silly, stupid) games" belongs in the title.