metafrasi banner

YOLO = μια ζωή την έχουμε

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Πληροφορούμαι ότι το διαδικτυακό ODE φιλοξενεί πλέον και το ακρωνύμιο YOLO. Να τι ακριβώς λέει η εγγραφή:

YOLO
Pronunciation: /ˈjəʊləʊ/
abbreviation
informal

You only live once (expressing the view that one should make the most of the present moment without worrying about the future, and often used as a rationale for impulsive or reckless behaviour):
I just ordered £40 worth of Chinese food. But YOLO, right?
the YOLO mentality has swept young adult generations

[Origin: 1980s acronym]

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/YOLO?q=yolo

Το Random House έχει προσθέσει και ρήμα:

YOLO
[yoh-loh]
interjection
You only live once! (used especially to rationalize impulsive or reckless behavior):
I bought those expensive shoes I've been eying—YOLO!
verb (used without object)
to engage in impulsive or reckless behavior with this sort of rationalization:
We’ve been YOLOing all night.
Origin
1995-2000; but popularized by the Canadian rapper Drake in his song “The Motto”

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/YOLO?r=66

Είδα την είδηση στον in.gr, όπου λέει:

Μία ακόμα λέξη βρήκε τη θέση της στην on line μορφή του λεξικού της Οξφόρδης. Πρόκειται για τα αρχικά YOLO-You Only Live Once (ζεις μονάχα μια φορά).
http://news.in.gr/perierga/article/?aid=1231340898

Η δική μας έκφραση είναι: Μια ζωή την έχουμε.

Τα έχουμε ξαναπεί αυτά, σε άλλα νήματα.

ΜΖΤΕ, κι αν δεν τη γλεντήσουμε, τι θα καταλάβουμε, τι θα καζαντίσουμε;
Στου διαβόλου τα 'γραψα όλα το κατάστιχο, και γλεντώ τα νιάτα μου, πριν με πιάσει λάστιχο
Μες στον ψεύτικο ντουνιά, παίξτε μου διπλοπενιά, και ο μήνας έχει εννιά

Ωραίο είναι κι εκείνο το άλλο το λατινικό, των χαμένων ποιητών ντε, το καρπεντίεμ, ή, όπως γράφει σε μια λίστα λατινικών φράσεων «carpe diem = άδραξε την ημέρα· απόλαυσε την σημερινή ημέρα· εκμεταλλεύσου το παρόν».

Άτιμη επικαιρότητα... :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YOLO_(song)

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
YOLO - The Lonely Island featuring Adam Levine & Kendrick Lamar

YOLO, say no no
Isolate yourself
and just roll solo
Be care-folo
You oughta look out
also stands for YOLO

Just take our advice and hide
and scream YOLO to the sky

:whistle:

crystal

Να προσθέσουμε εδώ και το συνεπακόλουθο Yoyo: You only yolo once.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member

E unum pluribus [sic]. :whistle:

E PLURIBUS UNUM: A LATIN QUIZ

Recently The Economist, in the course of an editorial arguing that the EC is too diverse a collection of nations to be politically unified, used a waggish subhead created by switching around the USA's motto E pluribus unum ("out of many, one"). The switched-around version said E unum pluribus. If that's grammatical at all in Latin, it has the same meaning as the original; it doesn't mean "out of one, many", though it was intended to suggest that thought to the English-speaking reader.

Several pedantic readers wrote in to say "Gotcha!" in various rather pompous terms ("As one of the few remaining undergraduates studying Latin, I fell compelled..."; "It might be a good idea forThe Economist to stick to English..." "Didn't anybody in your office do classics?"). But the funny thing was that the four snooty classics experts whose letters were published all proposed different corrections! A couple of weeks later another reader wrote in to correct all of them with a fifth version. All of which makes for a nice little naturally-occurring Latin quiz. Here are twelve possible translations of "out of one, many" into Latin. Six use e for "from or out of", and six choose the variant form ex. Five of these twelve were suggested in the published letters; the other seven are just decoys. At least one is correct (possibly two are).

1. e unibus plura | 7. ex unibus plura
2. e unibus plures | 8. ex unibus plures
3. e unibus pluria | 9. ex unibus pluria
4. e uno plura | 10. ex uno plura
5. e uno plures | 11. ex uno plures
6. e uno pluria | 12. ex uno pluria

So which is correct? I was going to have a prize for the first correct entry received on a postcard at Language Log Plaza: first prize, a Dan Brown novel; second prize, two Dan Brown novels... But I dropped the idea when I read that the percentage of Americans who cheated at least once in high school has now reached 75% and is fast rising. I'm pretty sure lots of people would cheat (not you, of course, but other less scrupulous people): they would look up The Economist or fetch out a Latin grammar or seek out a classics librarian or get a medium to channel a dead Roman or something. So no prizes. The only reward is the satisfaction of an intellectual accomplishment.

Earion

Staff member
Για να μη μένει τίποτα αναπάντητο και μας κατηγορήσουν, :D να πούμε ότι η σωστή απάντηση είναι: ex uno plures ή ex uno plura.