metafrasi banner

To work in carpentry

cosmasad

Hello,

What would be the most "poetic" way to say that someone "wants to work in carpentry" -- in other words, with their hands, with wood, building furniture, windows, doors etc? «Ξυλουργός, μαραγκός, να δουλέψει με ξύλο» are the only expressions that come to mind but am wondering if there's anything else?
«Να δουλέψει με ξυλουργία» where «Ξυλουργία» would translate for “carpentry” but it doesn’t quite sound right to my ear. Does any one have a better suggestion?

Thank you.

Thank you.

cosmasad

Ο Γιάννης είναι Μάστορας με ξύλο

Α Γιάννης ενδιαφέρεται να μάθει την ξυλουργεία.

cosmasad

Are these correct?

Ο Γιάννης είναι Μάστορας με ξύλο

O Michael ενδιαφέρεται να μάθει την ξυλουργεία.

O Michael θέλει/ φιλοδοξεί να γίνει μάστορας της ξυλουργίας.

Θέλει να δουλέψει με μάστορα της ξυλουργίας.

"Ο Γιάννης θέλει να ασχοληθεί με [την] ξυλουργική".
also
"Ο Γιάννης θέλει να καταπιαστεί με [την] ξυλουργική".
or simply
"Ο Γιάννης θέλει να μάθει ξυλουργική".

I don't think there is such a word as ξυλουργία, and ξυλουργεία would be the plural of ξυλουργείο.
If you say "είναι μάστορας" you mean he already is skilled and it would be "είναι μάστορας με το ξύλο" (you probably wouldn't use that, though).

cosmasad

Oh, wow. Thank you! How's this, then?

O Michael ενδιαφέρεται να μάθει ξυλουργική.

O Michael θέλει να γίνει μάστορας της ξυλουργικής.

O Michael θέλει να δουλέψει με μάστορα της ξυλουργικής.

Ο Michael θέλει να ασχοληθεί με την ξυλουργική.

All are correct, each with a different meaning, of course.
Back translations (more or less) would be:

Michael is interested in learning carpentry.
Michael wants to become skilled in carpentry [or: a skilled carpenter].
Michael wants to work with a skilled carpenter.
Michael wants to get into carpentry.

m_a_a_

I'll chime in here and expand a bit on the thorough suggestions already offered.

Since you're looking for a somewhat "poetic" way of putting it, you might consider adding the word "τέχνη" somewhere in there:
Ο Μάικλ ενδιαφέρεται να μάθει την τέχνη της ξυλουργικής.
Or simply: Ο Μάικλ ενδιαφέρεται για την τέχνη της ξυλουργικής.
It's still perfectly colloquial, but sounds a bit more... I don't know... beautified(?)

Verb-wise, though, I prefer Aorati Melani's καταπιάνομαι (note the examples).
So: Ο Μάικλ θέλει να καταπιαστεί με την τέχνη της ξυλουργικής.

As for "building furniture", there's also "επιπλοποιός" - a profession.
One who makes windows and doors is often called "κουφωματατζής", but that's a lower register.
Plus they mostly work with aluminum and polymer nowadays, though they haven't abandoned wood altogether...

Ίσως μια εναλλακτική θα ήταν και το «θέλει να μάθει πώς να δουλεύει το ξύλο».

SBE

¥
And to make it all more complex, there is λεπτοξυλουργική( joinery) and χονδροξυλουργική (carpentry), but these are trade terms, in general speech I think you hear of ξυλουργός, επιπλοποιός, μαραγκός, ταλιαδόρος (joiner, if I am not mistaken), ξυλογλύπτης. I don't think any of these words is less "poetic" than others, although μαραγκός which covers almost everything except artistic woodcarving, is at the same time more common and more low register.

cosmasad

Okay, then, continuing on this thread is there a difference between ξυλουργός and μαραγκός? Is one more of a carpenter and the other someone who logs in forests, or are they completely interchangeable?

Zazula

Administrator
Staff member
Someone who logs in forests is called ξυλοκόπος and υλοτόμος.

cougr

¥
Okay, then, continuing on this thread is there a difference between ξυλουργός and μαραγκός?
Yes. Although they are considered as synonyms they are not absolute synonyms.

I think it would be fair to say that
ξυλουργός = woodworker and μαραγκός = carpenter.
The terms, both in Greek and English are interchangeable to a certain extent but not in all cases.

On the basis that woodworking encompasses carpentry, carpenters (μαραγκοί) can, as happens occasionally, be referred to as woodworkers (ξυλουργοί). However, the term ξυλουργός doesn't equate to μαραγκός in an absolute sense as it is broader in terms of its meanings and connotations and can refer to any number of other types of tradespersons or craftspersons involved in working with wood.

Last edited: