The purrrfect thread. Because nobody's purrrfect, unless they're a cat.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Εμένα πάντοτε αυτή την εντύπωση μου έδιναν οι γάτες:
View attachment 3776
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this. 220px-Bastet.svg.png
~ Terry Pratchett

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven.
~ Robert A. Heinlein, The Cat Who Walks Through Walls

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat.
~ Robert A. Heinlein, Id.

All cats can see futures, and see echoes of the past. We can watch the passage of creatures from the infinity of now, from all the worlds like ours, only fractionally different. And we follow them with our eyes, ghost things, and the humans see nothing.
~ Neil Gaiman, Sandman #18: "A Dream of a Thousand Cats"

Little one, I would like to see anyone — prophet, king or God — persuade a thousand cats to do anything at the same time.
~ Neil Gaiman, Sandman #18: "A Dream of a Thousand Cats"

If cats looked like frogs, we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.
~ Terry Pratchett - Lords and Ladies

Terry Pratchett's THE UNADULTERATED CAT

DEDICATION: All right, all right. Time to come clean. Despite the fact that this book clearly states that cats should have short names you don't mind yelling to the neighbourhood at midnight, The Unadulterated Cat is dedicated to: Oedipuss. They don't come much realer.

A Campaign for Real Cats

Far too many people these days have grown used to boring, mass-produced cats, which may bounce with health and nourishing vitamins but aren't a patch on the good old cats you used to get. The Campaign for Real Cats wants to change all that by helping people recognise Real Cats when they see them. Hence this book.

The Campaign for Real Cats is against fizzy keg cats.

All right, How can I recognise a Real cat?

Simple. Nature has done a lot of the work for you. Many Real cats are instantly recognisable. For example, all cats with faces that look as though they had been put in a vice and hit repeatedly by a hammer with a sock round it are Real cats. Cats with ears that look as though they have been trimmed with pinking shears are Real cats. Almost every non-pedigree unneutered tom is not only Real, but as it hangs around the house it gets Realer and Realer until one of you is left in absolutely no doubt as to its Realness.

Fluffy cats are not necessarily unReal, but if they persist in putting on expressions of affronted dignity for the camera while advertising anything with the word “purr-fect” in the associated copy they are definitely bringing their Realness into question.

Ah. So cats in adverts aren't Real?

Actually being in adverts doesn't make a cat unReal —it can't help it if someone plonks it down in some weird pyramid made of carpet and takes pictures of it peeping anxiously out of the hole— but its demeanour once there counts for a lot.

For example, if you put an unReal cat down in front of a row of bowls of catfood it will obediently choose the one made by the sponsors of the ad even if all the others haven't got sump oil on them. A Real cat, on the other hand, will head for the most expensive regardless, pull it out onto the studio floor, eat it with great pleasure, try some of the others, trip up the cameraman and then get stuck behind the newsreaders' podium. Where it will be sick. And then, when its owners buy several large tins of the wretched stuff, it'll refuse to touch it again.

Real cats never wear bows (but sometimes they do wear bow-ties; see “Cartoon Cats”).

Or appear on Christmas cards.

Or chase anything with a bell on it.

Real cats don't wear collars. But Real cats often do wear dolls' clothes, and sit there also wearing an expression of furry imbecility while their brains do a complex radar scan of their surroundings and then they take a special kind of leap that gets them out of the mob cap, dress, apron and doll's pram all in one move.

Real cats are not simply self-possessed. Nor are they simply neurotic. They are both, at the same time, just like real people.

Real cats do eat quiche. And giblets. And butter. And anything else left on the table, if they think they can get away with it. Real cats can hear a fridge door opening two rooms away.

There is some dispute about this, but some of the hardliners in the CRC say that Real cats don't go to catteries when their owners go on holiday, but are fed by a simple arrangement of bowls and neighbours. It is also held that Real cats don't go anywhere in neat wicker Nissen huts with dinky little bars on the front. Now look. Schism and debate are of course the lifeblood of democracy, but I would just like to remind some of our more enthusiastic members of the great damage to the Campaign caused by the Flea Collar Discussion (1985), the Proprietary Cat Litter Row (1986) and what became rather disgracefully reported as the Great Bowl With Your Name On It Fracas (1987). As I said at the time, while of course the ideal Real cat eats its meals off an elderly saucer with remnants of the last meal still crusting the edge or, more typically, eats it off the floor just beside it, a Real cat is what you are, not what is done to you. Some of us may very well feel happier carting our cats around in a cardboard box with the name of a breakfast food on the side, but Real cats have an inbuilt distrust of white coats, can tell instantly when the vet is in prospect, and can erupt from even the stoutest cardboard box like a ICBM. This generally happens in dense traffic or crowded waiting rooms.

Despite the bad feeling caused by the Great Bowl With Your Name On It Fracas mentioned above, we should make it clear that Real cats do eat out of bowls with PUSSY written on the side. They'd eat out of them if they had the word ARSENIC written on the side. They eat out of anything.

Real cats catch things.

Real cats eat nearly all of everything they catch. A Real cat's aim is to get through life peacefully, with as little interference from human beings as possible. Very much like real humans, in fact.

Can I be pedigree and a Real cat too?

Of course you can't. You're a human.

The cat, I mean.

Ah. A thorny one, this. Logically, simply knowing your great-granddad's name should not be a bar to enjoying the full rich life, but some of the Campaign's more committed members believe that a true Real cat should be in some doubt as to its own existence, let alone that of its parents.

We feel that this is an extreme view. It is true that many of us feel the quintessential Real cat looks like the survivor of a bad mincer accident, but if people are really going to go around judging a cat's Realness by looks and fur colour alone, then they must see that what they are working towards is a Breed in its own right (“And this Year's Supreme Champion is Sooty, by ‘Thatdamngreythingfromnextdoorsonthebirdtableagain’ out of ‘We just Call Her Puss’ of Bedwellty”).

Our garden was debated territory between five local cats, and we'd heard that the best way to keep other cats out of the garden was to have one yourself. A moment's rational thought here will spot the slight flaw in this reasoning

It's an interesting fact that fewer than 17% of Real cats end their lives with the same name they started with. Much family effort goes into selecting one at the start (“She looks like a Winifred to me”), and then as the years roll by it suddenly finds itself being called Meepo or Ratbag.

Which brings us to the most important consideration in the naming of cats: never give a cat a name you wouldn't mind shouting out in a strained, worried voice around midnight while banging a tin bowl with a spoon. Stick to something short.

That being said, most common names for Real Cats are quite long and on the lines of Yaargeroffoutofityarbarstard, Mumthere'ssomethingORRIBLEunderthebed, and Wellyoushouldn'tofbinstandingthere. Real Cats don't have names like Vincent Mountjoy Froufrou Poundstretcher IV, at least for long.

The chosen name should also be selected for maximum carrying power across a busy kitchen when, eg, a bag full of prime steak starts moving stealthily towards the edge of the table. You need a word with a cutting edge. Zut! is pretty good. The Egyptians had a catheaded goddess called Bast. Now you know why.

The Cat in History

The books will tell you that cats evolved from civet ancestors about 45 million years ago, which was definitely a good start. Get as much distance between yourself and the civets as possible, that was the motto of the early cats. The civet cat has been a very nervous animal ever since it discovered that you can, er, derive civetone[SUP]1[/SUP] from it and use it in scent. Exactly how this is done I don't know and do not wish to research. It's probably dreadful. Oh, all right, I'll have a look.

It is. [SUP]2[/SUP]

So, the story goes, the cat family pushed on with the evolving as fast as possible, going in for size, speed and ferocity. There's nothing like the fear that you might be mistaken for a civet for giving jets to your genes, especially when you know it's only a matter of millennia before your actual proto-hominids start wandering around the Holocenic landscape with a bottle, a knife and a speculative look in their eyes. They also spread out a bit but missed Australia, which had just gone past on the Continental Drift; this explains why the rats grew so big. Some got stripes, some tried spots. One well known early variety developed its very own do-it-yourself can opener a hundred thousand years before cat food came in tins, and died of being too early to take advantage of this.

And then, suddenly, small versions started to turn up and go mee-owp, mee-owp at people.

Consider the situation. There you are, forehead like a set of balconies, worrying about the long-term effects of all this new “fire” stuff on the environment, you're being chased and eaten by most of the planet's large animals, and suddenly tiny versions of one of the worst ofthem wanders into the cave and starts to purr.

More amazing yet, it didn't get et.

The future of the Real cat

Real cats are survivalists. They've got it down to a fine art. What other animal gets fed, not because it's useful, or guards the house, or sings, but because when it does get fed it looks pleased? And purrs. The purr is very important. It's the purr that does it every time. It's the purr that makes up for the Things Under the Bed, the occasional pungency, the 4 a.m. yowl.

Other creatures went in for big teeth, long legs or over-active brains, while cats just settled for a noise that tells the world they're feeling happy. The purr ought to have been a pair of concrete running shoes in the great race of evolution; instead, it gave cats a rather better deal than most animals can expect, given Mankind's fairly unhappy record in his dealings with his fellow creatures. Cats learned to evolve in a world designed initially by nature but in practice by humans, and have got damn good at it. The purr means “make me happy and I'll make you happy”. The advertising industry took centuries to cotton on to that beguiling truth, but when it did, it sold an awful lot of Cabbage Patch dolls.

You've got to hand it to Real cats.

If you don't, they wait until your back is turned and take it anyway.

It's nice to think, though, that if the future turns out to be not as bad as people forecast, ie, if it actually even exists, then among the domes and tubes of some orbiting colony, hundreds of years from now, dynamic people with sturdy chins, people who know all about mining asteroids and stuff like that, will still be standing outside their biomodule banging a plastic plate with a spoon.

And yelling “Zut!” or “Wip!”, if they've got any sense.

1. A 17-member ring ketone, according to my dictionary, as opposed to the mere 15-membered muscone from the musk deer. Does the civet feel any better for knowing this? Probably not.

2. Who invents these scents, anyway? There's a guy walking along the beach, hey, here's some whale vomit, I bet we can make scent out of this. Exactly how likely do you think this is?

Attachments

• i1.jpg
    i1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 225
  • i2.jpg
    i2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 237
  • 51voKwPW3rL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg
    51voKwPW3rL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 240
  • i8.jpg
    i8.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 240

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Παρότι το νήμα είναι στο A funny thing happened on the way, επιτρέπεται να βάλω ένα λίνκι για μεταφραστικό νήμα, έτσι;

wildcat strike

bernardina

Παρότι το νήμα είναι στο A funny thing happened on the way, επιτρέπεται να βάλω ένα λίνκι για μεταφραστικό νήμα, έτσι;

wildcat strike

Καλέ, έξις και ξερός δευτέρα φύσις, τι λες τώρα. Ρίξε πράμα, λέμε... :wub:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Καλέ, έξις και ξερός δευτέρα φύσις, τι λες τώρα. Ρίξε πράμα, λέμε... :wub:

- Νήμα της έξης, του έξι, του εξ και του σεξ δεν έχουμε, έχουμε; Ή περιμένουμε τον Ιούνιο τον Λουμπαρδιάρη Λιμπιντιάρη;
- Μη με ενοχλείς, εργάζομαι. * :p

*Από ποια ελληνική ταινία είναι αυτή η ατάκα, μήπως θυμάται κανείς; Εγώ δεν θυμάμαι: μπούκωσε η ΡΑΜ, τιγκάρανε οι δίσκοι.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Παράξενο να μην το έχουμε βάλει κιόλας, αλλά με ένα ψαξιματάκι δεν το βρήκα:

Ηλεκαλημερούδια!
Whatever we can do, we do do, even Cat Man Do ;) :

Και να το (από σχόλιο του επισκέπτη Dralion στο 40κειο):

Αν με ξυπνούσε έτσι, θα το 'πνιγα χωρίς πολλά-πολλά ηλέ, μέχρι να πεις ηλέ, με τον παραδοσιακό τρόπο, όχι με ηλεπνίξιμο. :D

Να μην ξεχάσω την αφορμή: τα ηλεγατάκια εδώ κι εκεί.

Ηλέ, ηλέ, ζαμέ σαβαχθανί. Πάνε άλλα δυο, νιεχ, νιεχ. Κι ένα με το «καλημέρα», τρίτωσαν. :whistle:

bernardina

Α, ρε, Δαεμάνε, πόσο καιρό είχα να δω το χρηστώνυμο του Δρακολέοντα... :s Τι να κάνει αυτή η ψυχή, άραγε; :huh:

ΥΓ. Πρέπει να μεταφέρουμε εδώ γατάκι γατάκι κομμάτι κομμάτι όλη τη σειρά της Σιμωνόγατας. :p

Α, ρε, Δαεμάνε, πόσο καιρό είχα να δω το χρηστώνυμο του Δρακολέοντα... :s Τι να κάνει αυτή η ψυχή, άραγε; :huh:
άμα μάθεις, πες το και σε μένα. Αναρωτιέμαι πότε-πότε.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
You know what you said about me, don't you, woman?
Well, you ain't nothing but a
Bear Cat - Rufus Thomas

You ain't nothing but a bear cat
scratchin' at my door
You can purr, pretty kitty
but I ain't gonna rub you no more

Bear cat, γιατί bearcat μπορεί να σημαίνει πολλά και διάφορα.

Μια που έπιασα τον Ρούφους Τόμας ("The World's Oldest Teenager"), επονομαζόμενο και "Bear Cat" Rufus και "Hound Dog" Rufus επειδή το Bear Cat, το πρώτο μεγάλο σουξέ του, ήταν μια απάντηση στο Hound Dog που πρωτοτραγούδησε η Μπιγκ Μάμα Θόρντον - το οποίο Bear Cat αποτέλεσε την πρώτη μεγάλη επιτυχία της Sun Records, όμως λόγω της δικαστικής διαμάχης για τα δικαιώματα του τραγουδιού παραλίγο να χρεοκοπήσει ο Σαμ Φίλιπς - ορίστε κι άλλο ένα δικό του σχετικό με το νήμα:

Tiger Man

I'll go walk the dog now, and then I'll do the funky chicken. :whistle:

Earion

Staff member
γάτα κοιμόταν·
ξύπνησε, τεντώθηκε
και ξεπόρτισε

Ίσα (1762-1826)​

πάει ο γρύλος,
τον έφαγε η γάτα…
κλαίγεται η χήρα!

Κικάκου (1661-1707)​

Από το βιβλίο: 132 γιαπωνέζικα χαϊκού. Εισαγωγή, μετάφραση και σχόλια Ρούμπη Θεοφανοπούλου. Αθήνα: Πρόσπερος, 1986.​