metafrasi banner

Russell's teapot = η τσαγιέρα του Ράσελ

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Russell's teapot, sometimes called the celestial teapot, cosmic teapot or Bertrand's teapot, is an analogy first coined by the philosopher Bertrand Russell (1872–1970) to illustrate the idea that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon a person making scientifically unfalsifiable claims rather than shifting the burden of proof to others, specifically in the case of religion. Russell wrote that if he claimed that a teapot were orbiting the Sun somewhere in space between the Earth and Mars, it would be nonsensical for him to expect others not to doubt him on the grounds that they could not prove him wrong. Russell's teapot is still referred to in discussions concerning the existence of God and has drawn some criticism for comparing the unfalsifiablility of a teapot to God.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot

Στο άρθρο του Is There a God (commissioned -but not published- by Illustrated Magazine in 1952) γράφει:

If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.

Στη Βικιπαίδεια υπάρχει και μετάφραση:

Αν έλεγα ότι μεταξύ Γης και Άρη υπάρχει μια πορσελάνινη τσαγιέρα σε ελλειπτική τροχιά γύρω από τον ήλιο, κανείς δεν θα μπορούσε να διαψεύσει τον ισχυρισμό μου, αρκεί να πρόσθετα ότι η τσαγιέρα είναι τόσο μικρή που δεν θα μπορούσαν να την ανιχνεύσουν ούτε τα πιο ισχυρά τηλεσκόπιά μας.

Όμως, αν στη συνέχεια έλεγα ότι, αφού ο ισχυρισμός μου δεν μπορεί να διαψευστεί, θα ήταν ασυγχώρητη απρέπεια να τον αμφισβητούμε με την λογική μας, τότε οι περισσότεροι δικαίως θα θεωρούσαν ότι έλεγα ανοησίες.

Αν όμως η ύπαρξη μιας τέτοιας επουράνιας τσαγιέρας αναφερόταν σε πανάρχαια βιβλία, διδασκόταν ως ιερή αλήθεια κάθε Κυριακή και ενσταλαζόταν στα μυαλά μικρών παιδιών σε όλα τα σχολεία, τότε ακόμα και ο παραμικρός δισταγμός θα ήταν τέτοιο δείγμα εκκεντρικότητας, που σε φωτισμένους καιρούς θα απέφερε στον αμφισβητία το επίζηλο προνόμιο της ψυχιατρικής φροντίδας, ενώ σε πιο πρώιμη περίοδο την Ιερά Εξέταση.

Στη μετάφραση, οι λέξεις "επίζηλο προνόμιο" στο τέλος είναι μεταφραστική προσθήκη;

Βεβαίως και πιστεύουμε, και είστε βλάσφημοι αν υπαινίσσεστε ότι υπάρχει έστω και η παραμικρή περίπτωση να μην είναι αλήθεια! :-D

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Και μια και τους θυμήθηκε ο Κώστας, υπάρχουν και οι Πασταφαριανοί, που πιστεύουν στο Ιπτάμενο Μακαρονοτέρας.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

http://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ιπτάμενο_Μακαρονοτέρας

Flying Spaghetti Monster Statue Outside of Tennessee Courthouse

FSM+Courthouse+1+043.JPG

Members of the Crossville, Tennessee chapter of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster sought and received approval to install a statue of the Flying Spaghetti Monster outside the city's courthouse. (Credit: Ariel Safdie)

If you're a fan of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and the gospel of Pastafarianism, then you have to love what's going on in Crossville, Tenn.

There, as I discovered today
[στδ: 31-3-2008] on Laughing Squid, some members of the local chapter of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster have gotten city approval to erect a statue of "His Noodly Appendage" outside the local courthouse.

I talked briefly by phone Monday with Ariel Safdie, one of the local chapter members involved with building and installing the statue, and she said that for her and her fellow members, the issue involved in building the statue and seeking and acquiring approval to install it wasn't about religion, but about freedom of speech.

That seems perfectly appropriate to me, since the whole point of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is to make the point--via free speech--that if communities are going to give credence to one theory of the origins of life in their schools, then they also have to give credence to others.

Safdie and others applied for permission to install their statue, and it was granted by the city of Crossville.
[...]
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-9906870-52.html

Αλλά, 26 μέρες μετά:

Spaghetti Monster Retires from Courthouse Lawn to Begin Crossville Tour.