metafrasi banner

phone it in = ξεπετάω κάτι

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Ιδιωματισμός που κυκλοφορεί μερικές δεκαετίες αλλά δεν είναι τόσο διαδεδομένος και τα περισσότερα λεξικά δεν τον έχουν τακτοποιήσει ακόμα. Αρχικά περιέγραφε πώς ξεμπερδεύουμε με κάποια τυπική διαδικασία παίρνοντας τηλέφωνο, αντί να κάνουμε τον κόπο να στείλουμε μια γραπτή ευχαριστία, ένα γραπτό μήνυμα για περαστικά, να κάνουμε έναν κόπο παραπάνω σύμφωνα με το (παλιοκαιρισμένο) σαβουάρ βιβρ. Από εκεί πέρασε στη διεκπεραίωση υποθέσεων με τον ελάχιστο κόπο, σαν να πρόκειται για υπόθεση ρουτίνας. Αραδιάζω παραδείγματα χρήσης και μπορείτε να προτείνετε κι άλλες αποδόσεις εκτός από το ξεπετάω.

phone it in informal Work or perform without much effort, interest, or enthusiasm:
  • She sang the National Anthem, but she was just phoning it in as far as I could tell.
  • I think of my playing as committed—I can’t remember ever phoning it in at any performance
  • Because Bill Barol and his beloved Blather Blog has returned after a months-long hiatus, including a few weeks there when he was obviously just sort of phoning it in, not that we don't all do that on occasion, of course.
  • Well, I guess I'd be phoning it in too if I knew that after my scene wrapped I could go back to partying on my yacht with my movie star friends on Lake Como.
  • I know that thirty years of this kind of stuff has got to have to taken its toll on you, Cece, but let's not just phone it in anymore. (1982?)
  • But here was someone who could have been paid regally for just phoning it in for another year or two willing instead to throw that all away (1998)
  • his new show with Julia Child -- "Julia and Jacques Cooking At Home" on WMPT Channel 22 -- is a clever marketing stroke, but at times both of these veteran teachers seem to be phoning it in. (2000)
  • And I think our campaign put a lot more on the line, frankly, to try to solve that problem than Senator Obama, who tried to phone it in. (2008)
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/phone
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/phone_it_in

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Δεν είναι ίδιο το ρέτζιστερ, βέβαια, αλλά νομίζω ότι χρησιμοποιούμε γι' αυτή την περίπτωση και το διεκπεραιώνω, αλλά με σαφή (από το συγκείμενο) με μειωτική έννοια.

Στα παραδείγματα αυτά, φερ' ειπείν

She sang the National Anthem, but she was just phoning it in as far as I could tell.
I think of my playing as committed—I can’t remember ever phoning it in at any performance

νομίζω ότι θα χρησιμοποιούσαμε άνετα τα διεκπεραιώνω. διεκπεραιωτική ερμηνεία κλπ:

Τραγούδησε τον Εθνικό Ύμνο, αλλά από όσα κατάλαβα, η ερμηνεία της ήταν διεκπεραιωτική.
Θεωρώ ότι δίνω τα πάντα στην ερμηνεία μου και δεν θυμάμαι να έπαιξα ποτέ μου διεκπεραιωτικά.

CoastalFog

phone in: Κατεξοχήν βρετανισμός που σπάνια ακούγεται στις ΗΠΑ.

go through the motions: O αντίστοιχος και ευρύτατα χρησιμοποιούμενος όρος εδώ.
Στο λεξικό μου Translation Challenges σημειώνω τα εξής:

εφαρμόζω διαδικασίες/διεκπεραιώνω τυπικά τα καθήκοντά μου/τηρώ τους τύπους/τα προσχήματα μηχανικά (χωρίς όρεξη)·
εκτελώ/κάνω κτ/κινούμαι/λειτουργώ/συμμετέχω σε κτ μηχανικά/τυπικά· απλώς προσποιούμαι ότι, κάνω πως· κάνω κτ τσάτρα πάτρα, με μισή/βαριά/κρύα καρδιά, ανόρεχτα, βαριεστημένα, χωρίς διάθεση, απρόθυμα· (προχειροδουλειά)

Θα μετέφραζα όλα τα παραδείγματα του Νικέλ αλλά είναι περασμένα μεσάνυχτα, παίδες, και με δέρνει μια νύστα που δεν περιγ...:sleep:...

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Ωραίες οι αποδόσεις. Επιλέγω: διεκπεραιώνω τυπικά, κάνω κάτι μηχανικά / ανόρεχτα / με μισή καρδιά.

Αλλά όχι και βρετανισμός! Τα παραδείγματά μου είναι τα περισσότερα από αμερικάνικες πηγές. Το έναυσμα ήταν αμερικάνικο σίριαλ.

Τώρα οι λεξικογράφοι έχουν (και) τα σώματα κειμένων του διαδικτύου για την έρευνά τους. Για να περιορίσω τις αναζητήσεις έχω δυο συλλογές:

Για βρετανικές πηγές:
site:bbc.com OR site:theguardian.com OR site:independent.co.uk OR site:telegraph.co.uk OR site:thetimes.co.uk OR site:ft.com OR site:economist.com

Για αμερικάνικες πηγές:
site:huffingtonpost.com OR site:cnn.com OR site:nytimes.com OR site:washingtonpost.com OR site:wsj.com OR site:usatoday.com OR site:latimes.com

Κάνω αναζητήσεις για τις φράσεις:
"phones it in" OR "phoned it in" OR "phone it in"

Οι αναζητήσεις μού δίνουν (1) 823 βρετανικά και (2) 4.840 αμερικάνικα ευρήματα.
1. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q="...es.co.uk+OR+site:ft.com+OR+site:economist.com

2. https://www.google.com/search?q="ph....com+OR+site:usatoday.com+OR+site:latimes.com

Φυσικά, το κλασικό go through the motions είναι πολύ πιο γνωστό και διαδεδομένο και στις δύο όχθες του Ατλαντικού, αλλά μας αρέσει να φέρνουμε εδώ εκφράσεις που είτε είναι πολύ καινούργιες είτε είναι παλιές αλλά δεν βρήκαν ακόμα θέση στα λεξικά. Η συγκεκριμένη είναι μια απ' αυτές.

Ενώ το παρόμοιο dialled in σημαίνει σχεδόν το αντίθετο: Be or become so focused that one is able to perform to the best of one’s abilities:τέλεια ρυθμισμένος, προκειμένου για μηχανικά συστήματα). Νομίζω ότι έχει και στρατιωτική χρήση, στο πυροβολικό: We have the target dialled in.

CoastalFog

Οι αναζητήσεις μού δίνουν (1) 823 βρετανικά και (2) 4.840 αμερικάνικα ευρήματα.
I hear you, Nickel. But interpreting search results is a skill, and I do question quantified results for many reasons. To name but a few:

(a) Hit counts don't account for repeats i.e. one person says something, a million media broadcast it, so... it's an Americanism?

(b) Of the world media, 80% are US-based. I'll let you draw your own conclusions about how "American" those "ευρήματα" really are...

(c) Says Wikipedia: A raw hit count should never be relied upon to prove notability. More on that at Interpreting search results

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
The results of the second set in #4, dear CoastalFog, come from the specific web sites mentioned there (huffingtonpost.com, cnn.com, nytimes.com, washingtonpost.com, wsj.com, usatoday.com, latimes.com) and I doubt that they'd be littered with anglicisms. There are too many non-idiomatic uses to judge without reading some of those examples, so I urge you to have a look at those sites or at the examples in Google books (e.g. Ivanka Trump's “If they feel overqualified for the job they’re in, they adopt a going-through-the-motions attitude. But if you phone it in on Job One, you’ll never get the call for the job you actually want”), and tell me if you still think it's a British idiom.

1987 occurrence in a title of the Los Angeles Times, with an explanation:
http://articles.latimes.com/1987-08-05/sports/sp-742_1_eric-dickerson

CoastalFog

Few English speakers likely know this word says Dictionary.com

Maybe because the context of "phone it in" here is limited to the showbiz. It means
(a) you don't have to show up at the studio if your part is just one line. You literally "say your line over the phone."
OR
(b) as your last example explains:
Phoning it in? That's an expression used in the theater, big guy. It refers to an actor or actress who goes through the motions on stage, delivering a lifeless, soul-less, sub-par performance.

Even the example resorts to the American "go through the motions" to explain the British "phone it in" context.

Since you like numbers, try this: look up "phone it in" and "go through the motions." Compare both hit count and context variety count. What do you come up with?
I got more for the "motions" on both counts.

Another American cousin is "call in."
Want Domino's pizza for dinner? No need to drive there. Just call it in ;-)

cougr

¥
Given that in the main, I've tended to come across the expression in American publications and television shows, I've always had the impression it was an Americanism. This article at visualthesarus.com tends to support that impression.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
This article at visualthesarus.com tends to support that impression.

A most illuminating article, especially with all the information about the idiom's early beginnings. My limited research tells me it started becoming popular in the 1980s. One of the earliest examples I was able to find was this comment in a 1982 exchange of letters (#1):
I know that thirty years of this kind of stuff has got to have to taken its toll on you, Cece, but let's not just phone it in anymore.
‘Cece’ in this case is Cecil Adams of the Straight Dope.
Also the fact that in the 1987 article (#8) it was still considered necessary to explain its meaning.
Finally, CoastalFog's comment in #9 led me to the dictionary.com entry, which says:

phone it in
modifier
Lackadaisical and half-hearted in playing (1980s+ Sports)

The Dictionary of American Slang, Fourth Edition by Barbara Ann Kipfer, PhD. and Robert L. Chapman, Ph.D.
Copyright (C) 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/phone it in?s=t