παίζουμε τις κουμπάρες = a game of make-believe, (a game of) dress-up | kidding each other; playing (silly) games

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
...Secondly, just a suggestion, I feel that the expression "playing (silly, stupid) games" belongs in the title.

As the expression "playing silly games" does belong in the title, so does this tune along with its lyrics and the video belong in this thread:

Thank you for the tip, Cougr! Και γερμανιστί, Spiel ohne Grenzen στα μεταφρ-άσματα.

Andre has a red flag, Chiang Ching's is blue
They all have hills to fly them on except for Lin Tai Yu
Dressing up in costumes, playing silly games
Hiding out in tree-tops shouting out rude names
Whistling tunes we hide in the dunes by the seaside
Whistling tunes we piss on the goons in the jungle
It's a knockout
If looks could kill, they probably will
In games without frontiers-war without tears

Hans plays with Lotte, Lotte plays with Jane
Jane plays with Willi, Willi is happy again
Suki plays with Leo, Sacha plays with Britt
Adolf builts a bonfire, Enrico plays with it
Whistling tunes we hid in the dunes by the seaside
Whistling tunes we're kissing baboons in the jungle
It's a knockout
If looks could kill, they probably will
In games without frontiers-war without tears

Jeux sans frontieres

Change the names as you see fit. :whistle:

pontios

At the risk of flogging a dead horse ... :)

playing (silly) games, I agree with - and "silliness" should be "front and centre" here - but I think it stops a little short of what Tsipras was implying, which is closer to "playing childish games" (IMHO).

"Childish" connotes not only "silliness" ("silliness" is always there, of course), but also immaturity, selfishness - acting like a child - not taking a mature approach, not taking things seriously, throwing tantrums and pouting when you don't get your way, peevishness (irritability), puerility etc...

That's the way I see it, anyway. I'm sorry for labouring the point. :(

childish
ADJECTIVE

1Of, like, or appropriate to a child.
‘childish enthusiasm’
More example sentencesSynonyms
1.1 Silly and immature.
‘a childish outburst’

I think ..
What Tsipras was saying, in a roundabout way is -- let's not treat the (upcoming) meeting as if it were a play ground and let's see to it that it doesn't become one.

A preemptive shot across the bow, perhaps - a warning to come to the meeting with the right attitude (bring your mature and adult selves to it). Selfish "children" are not only being silly, they don't cooperate - leave your toys behind when you come to the meeting. Δεν είναι παίξε γέλασε.

pontios

I wish I had seen this before opening my trap ... I didn't realise it had to do with (as Tsipras sees it) the continual shifting of the goalposts and more absurd/unrealistic last-minute demands by creditors - this is not a game of make-believe (that we played as kids), it affects the future of a nation. Now I've got the context. I'm on the computer all day (weekdays) and I come to this site for a break and a diversion - to think about something else/give my mind a rest - when I should be going outside for some fresh air, instead (obviously).

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Επειδή κάποιος φίλος παραπονέθηκε που δεν βάλαμε κι αυτή την εκδοχή για το «δεν παίζουμε τις κουμπάρες», να τη βάλουμε:

not a parlour game

Έχουμε, βέβαια, πάει πια στο χώρο τού «δεν είναι παίξε-γέλασε».

pontios

Επειδή κάποιος φίλος παραπονέθηκε που δεν βάλαμε κι αυτή την εκδοχή για το «δεν παίζουμε τις κουμπάρες», να τη βάλουμε:

not a parlour game

As long as the genre of the game (parlour game, party game, etc..) is "fantasy", of course.

We're not (kids) playing a/some fantasy (or virtual reality or simulation or computer?) game, the future of a nation is being decided.
This is not some fantasy game we played as kids ...
("Computer game" would make it less traditional, of course).

We're not role-playing/play-acting on an imaginary stage (in "la la land"), the future of a nation is at stake.

I was also thinking of sideshow/diversion ...
We're not in some sideshow, we're not play-acting in some sideshow (this is not a sideshow)... with meaning 2, below.

Definition of sideshow
: a minor show offered in addition to a main exhibition (as of a circus)
: an incidental diversion or spectacle

Earion

Staff member
Κρατώ ως θετικό ότι η Τουρκία εκφράζει τη βούληση να ξεκινήσει η διαδικασία. Όμως ίσως έχει έρθει η ώρα να σταματήσουμε να παίζουμε τις κουμπάρες και να βρούμε μια ημερομηνία και να ξεκινήσουμε ουσιαστικά τις επαφές.
(Κυρ. Μητσοτάκης, Λισαβόνα, 11.1.2021)

Αναρωτιέμαι πώς θα ακούστηκε (μεταφράστηκε) στα τουρκικά.

Και δινω μια απάντηση στη δική μου (και οχι μόνο) απορία. Φαίνεται πως μεταφράστηκε κατά λέξη, όπως βλέπω εδώ με τη βοήθεια του Γκουγκλ Τρανζλέιτ (στο τελος παραπομπή σε δικό μου άρθρο, που παραπέμπει στη Λεξιλογία):