Την ίδια ώρα, στην Κίνα...

Why China Will Reclaim Siberia
(Frank Jacobs / NYT)
“A land without people for a people without land.” At the turn of the 20th century, that slogan promoted Jewish migration to Palestine. It could be recycled today, justifying a Chinese takeover of Siberia. Of course, Russia's Asian hinterland isn't really empty (and neither was Palestine). But Siberia is as resource-rich and people-poor as China is the opposite. The weight of that logic scares the Kremlin.

Moscow recently restored the Imperial Arch in the Far Eastern frontier town of Blagoveshchensk, declaring: “The earth along the Amur was, is and always will be Russian.” But Russia's title to all of the land is only about 150 years old. And the sprawl of highrises in Heihe, the Chinese boomtown on the south bank of the Amur, right across from Blagoveshchensk, casts doubt on the “always will be” part of the old czarist slogan.

Siberia – the Asian part of Russia, east of the Ural Mountains – is immense. It takes up three-quarters of Russia's land mass, the equivalent of the entire U.S. and India put together. It's hard to imagine such a vast area changing hands. But like love, a border is real only if both sides believe in it. And on both sides of the Sino-Russian border, that belief is wavering.

The border, all 2,738 miles of it, is the legacy of the Convention of Peking of 1860 and other unequal pacts between a strong, expanding Russia and a weakened China after the Second Opium War. (Other European powers similarly encroached upon China, but from the south. Hence the former British foothold in Hong Kong, for example.)

The 1.35 billion Chinese people south of the border outnumber Russia's 144 million almost 10 to 1. The discrepancy is even starker for Siberia on its own, home to barely 38 million people, and especially the border area, where only 6 million Russians face over 90 million Chinese. With intermarriage, trade and investment across that border, Siberians have realized that, for better or for worse, Beijing is a lot closer than Moscow.

The vast expanses of Siberia would provide not just room for China's huddled masses, now squeezed into the coastal half of their country by the mountains and deserts of western China. The land is already providing China, “the factory of the world,” with much of its raw materials, especially oil, gas and timber. Increasingly, Chinese-owned factories in Siberia churn out finished goods, as if the region already were a part of the Middle Kingdom's economy.

One day, China might want the globe to match the reality. In fact, Beijing could use Russia's own strategy: hand out passports to sympathizers in contested areas, then move in militarily to "protect its citizens." The Kremlin has tried that in Transnistria, Abkhazia, South Ossetia and most recently the Crimea, all formally part of other post-Soviet states, but controlled by Moscow. And if Beijing chose to take Siberia by force, the only way Moscow could stop would be using nuclear weapons.

There is another path: Under Vladimir Putin, Russia is increasingly looking east for its future – building a Eurasian Union even wider than the one inaugurated recently in Astana, the capital of Kazakhstan, a staunch Moscow ally. Perhaps two existing blocs – the Eurasian one encompassing Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan and the Shanghai Cooperation Organization – could unite China, Russia and most of the 'stans. Putin's critics fear that this economic integration would reduce Russia, especially Siberia, to a raw materials exporter beholden to Greater China. And as the Chinese learned from the humiliation of 1860, facts on the ground can become lines on the map.

"I never thought it strange when two men become a couple," Zhou says. "We are reading about two guys together exactly because we like boys." Ουφ! :D

Chinese women crave Tanbi lit
(by Sun Ye / China Daily)

Tanbi is a form of Japanese literature depicting love between men that its hardcore following of young, heterosexual women can't get enough of. Sun Ye reports on the growing phenomenon.

In the literary world of tanbi [danmei 耽美], a Japanese term meaning "the pursuit of beauty" and often used to refer to two good-looking men in a romantic relationship, there are answers to what a heterosexual woman wants in love and life.

At least, this is the case for Cici Zhou, a 25-year-old real estate agent who has devoured 1,200 tanbi books over the past 10 years, drawn to them by the strong characters and their fighting spirit.

Zhou's favorite, Tianxiadiyi (translated to English means "No 1 in the world"), is the story of two opposing majestic kings who are mutually attracted but have to fight against each other and their desire.

"You can't find these characters in normal chick-lit," she says. "They're both strong, outstanding men. There are dramatic ups and downs and greater obstacles to overcome."

There is no official tally, but there are an estimated one million readers of tanbi stories in China, according to Yang Ling, associate professor with Xiamen University who studies tanbi sub-culture.

The scene is dominated by work from Japan and China's Taiwan, but tanbi lovers are also putting out original stories in forums, podcasts, custom-made books and other items that target hardcore fans.

Jinjiang Literature, one of the more popular websites that features original tanbi stories, clocks two million log-ins a day. Ninety percent of its users are female, and 80 percent are in the 18 to 35 age group, according to a report the company provided to China Daily.

Tanbi borders on gay fiction, but the readership is predominantly heterosexual women.

"I never thought it strange when two men become a couple," Zhou says. "We are reading about two guys together exactly because we like boys."

"They're reading for the variety tanbi offers," Yang says.

The genre is broken down into a gamut of sub genres, that touch on a wide variety of themes from apocalyptic tales, star wars, martial arts, and fan fiction. The stories can be "clear-water" (platonic) or x-rated. Tanbi is written in so many styles that there are stories told in dialects from northeastern China to Cantonese.

"Whatever subject you like, you can find it there," Yang says. "It's like a small literary kingdom." And then there is the love story at the core.

"In tanbi, love and relationships have no set patterns like in Cinderella, where a hero rescues a beauty in danger," Yang says. "Both sides can be strong. Or they can take different roles in different circumstances. There are many more possibilities to explore."

That is perhaps one of the reasons why these readers are more open-minded when setting their own terms, and more understanding to others, Yang says, who has interviewed many tanbi fans in recent years.

"These are definitely positive influences. When they are open to different types of relationships, they are also open to other discussions, such as staying single for longer, or raising a child on their own," Yang says.

According to Ducky, another seasoned reader of 10 years, who will only reveal the name she uses online, "I'm an independent woman, I get to make my own decisions in work as well as in life." She says she prefers stories where both members of the couple are standing on their own two feet and fighting for what they want in love.

"However, we still like alpha males better," she says. "When there are two of them, there is the tension we want. Especially now that boys are becoming feminine and girls have somehow turned aggressive."

In the strong male characters, the female readers find their most desired kind of romance.

"I believe tanbi describes the purest kind of love," says Jodie Cheng, who first discovered tanbi when looking for news of her idols, the Korean pop group Super Junior, in 2010. In a fictional account, written by tanbi fans, band members become lovers.

"But as long as a story has a modicum of realism, two men together means trouble, and giving up everything for love," Cheng says. "That's rare in our real life, therefore, we look for it."

With the rise of Sina Weibo and Wechat, two major instant messaging platforms in China, tanbi is no longer the cult genre it was a decade ago. There has been a growing number of girls, or fojoshi (a Japanese term for girls who endorse male homosexual love), who have started to write fan fiction that moves tanbi into the world of mainstream literature.

A recent work pairs two X-men, Magneto and Professor X, powerful opponents who care about each other, at least in the Hollywood megahit X-Men: Days of Future Past.

"There are so many fojoshi that it's almost a selling point now," Yang, the researcher says.

"But whatever the girls are attracted to, they are after the true, good, beautiful human feelings that have always been at the center of literature."

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Τεράστια η συζήτηση για τη Σιβηρία (#1121). Το Χόλιγουντ θα έχει ψωμί για αρκετές ταινίες...

Με την ευκαιρία έκανα κι ένα φρεσκάρισμα της ιστορίας της Σιβηρίας:

The Russian conquest of Siberia has been considered genocidal towards the native Siberian peoples by some historians, with many native peoples subjected to massacres and extermination. The Russian colonization of Siberia and conquest of its indigenous peoples has been compared to European colonization in the United States and its natives, with similar negative impacts on the natives and the appropriation of their land. During the following few centuries, colonization and trade grew steadily, but the inflow of higher-educated or middle-class people remained relatively low, one instance from abroad being the expeditions of the German naturalist, physician and explorer Georg Wilhelm Steller and the Danish explorer Vitus Bering in the 1740s; both men were exploring on the orders of the crown. Another category of people being sent to Siberia consisted of prisoners exiled from Western Russia or territories held by Russia, like Poland (see katorga). Over the 19th century, around 1.2 million prisoners were sent to Siberia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberia

(Κάτι σαν αποικισμός της Αμερικής και της Αυστραλίας σε ένα.)

Η σκηνή όπου ο κατηγορούμενος τραγουδάει τη Διεθνή είναι σκέτος κλαυσίγελος, ή μάλλον γελωτοκλαυθμός...

Tale of abuse and revenge behind fall of China "tiger"
When Chinese official Zhou Jianhua refused to tell Communist Party investigators he had received massive bribes, he says they beat him and forced him to drink toilet water until he confessed.
(Channel News Asia)
BEIJING: When Chinese official Zhou Jianhua refused to tell Communist Party investigators he had received massive bribes, he says they beat him and forced him to drink toilet water until he confessed.

As a crackdown on corruption pushed by Chinese President Xi Jinping ensnares a growing list of senior officials, Zhou's account -- in a recording obtained by AFP -- offers a rare glimpse inside the ruling Party's opaque internal disciplinary system.

Lawyers say his case demonstrates how the faction-riven graft investigations can mask power struggles and are carried out with little respect for the law.

"They used my relatives as hostages, and tortured me unrelentingly until I accepted the fabricated charges," Zhou -- handed a suspended death sentence earlier this year -- told his lawyers in a recorded meeting.

The Party's internal justice system, known as "shuanggui", operates without oversight from judicial authorities and has been increasingly criticised by China's legal community.

At least 15 officials have reportedly died from abuses in "shuanggui" since 2007.

Xi has vowed to take down high-ranking "tigers" as well as low-level "flies" in an anti-corruption push introduced in response to widespread public anger over endemic graft.

Zhou's case was thrust into the spotlight last month when one such tiger -- the former top Communist official in Jiangxi province, Su Rong -- was placed under investigation.

Zhou says his own fall came swiftly after he accused Su's wife of corruption, and was payback from his party superior.

For years Zhou was a loyal Communist Party member and successful bureaucrat in Xinyu in Jiangxi, known for its enormous steel plant, where he rose to become head of the city People's Congress, the local legislature.

Like his colleagues, he earned little but amassed enough money -- sometimes through illicit means -- for his wife to travel to Britain and other countries.

But in 2011, Zhou began to suspect he might be targeted by an inquiry, and took the risky step of telling a Party anti-corruption team that Su's wife had been illegally profiting from land deals in Xinyu.

Weeks later, several of Zhou's associates were taken into police custody and he was informed that Su had ordered the same team to investigate him.

In January 2012, Communist officials detained Zhou and took him to a centre where he would be held for nearly six months without any access to a lawyer, normal practice under "shuanggui".

"He felt that because he reported Su Rong's wife, he was being targeted as revenge," said Zhou Ze, one of China's most outspoken human rights lawyers, who now represents the former bureaucrat.

Zhou told investigators that he had accepted around 600,000 yuan ($100,000) in bribes, saying this was customary among local officials, who each New Year exchange red envelopes bursting with cash.

"Everyone takes (red envelopes), so I took them too," Zhou admitted in a written account confirmed by Zhou Ze.

But when he refused to confess to larger bribes of around 10 million yuan, the physical abuse began.

"I was beaten, and finally they took me to a toilet, forced my head into a toilet bowl, and forced me to drink the water," he said in an interview recorded at a detention centre in March and made available online. Its veracity was confirmed by his lawyer.

"I knew that if I didn't confess, my wife would face prosecution, but if I did confess, I'd have stains on my reputation I could never wash off."

Meanwhile, several associates said they were also forced into providing evidence against Zhou.

"After days of mistreatment when I was at my wits' end, I confessed to giving Zhou's wife 140,000 yuan," Yang Peng, the owner of an upmarket hotel in Xinyu who was detained for three months, wrote in a statement posted online.

Zhou Jianhua says he gave in and offered a confession on Tomb Sweeping Day, when Chinese people commemorate family ties by sprucing up their relatives' graves.

"I cried because I knew that writing a confession would have serious repercussions," he said.

Zhou says Party officials warned him that his wife would be targeted if he renounced his confession, and he was found guilty at trial -- as are more than 99.9 per cent of criminal accused in China.

In January, the court announced a suspended death sentence -- usually commuted to life in prison.

But while in detention, Zhou had been chronicling details of Su Rong's alleged crimes on the back of empty cigarette boxes, smuggled out of a detention centre by his ex-wife and other visitors.

They in turn passed the accusations to Beijing officials, including members of the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection (CCDI), the body that runs the "shuanggui" system.

Last month, the CCDI announced Su was under investigation for "severe discipline violations", generally a euphemism for graft. Days later he was sacked from his central government post as vice-chairman of the CPPCC, a discussion body that is part of the Communist-controlled machinery of state.

At the time he was the highest-ranking official to fall in Xi's much-publicised anti-corruption drive, which has since claimed former top general Xu Caihou.

Earlier, Zhou's family asked Zhou Ze to lead the defence at his appeal in May, but officials denied him access to the court.

Instead he stood outside the building's white romanesque facade holding a sign reading "Jiangxi high court, I still have the right to defend my client."

Inside, a state-appointed lawyer spent just eight minutes presenting an appeal, while the court was packed with plain-clothes police, according to lawyer You Feizhu, who entered by posing as a relative.

The defendant howled with indignation and began to sing the Communist anthem the "Internationale", he added.

"The court violated my client's rights to a defence," Zhou Ze said.

The appeal decision has yet to be announced, but despite Su's fall the lawyer remained pessimistic.

"These cases are political," he said.

- AFP/nd

Ένα κινέζικο εγκληματάκι πολέμου;
Shadow of Brutal ’79 War Darkens Vietnam’s View of China Relations
(Jane Perlez / NYT)
(...)
The shadow of the 1979 war, ordered by the Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping to punish Vietnam for its invasion of Cambodia, endures in places along the border. The memories are strong not only because of the death toll but also because the Chinese pummeled towns and villages as they withdrew, destroying schools and hospitals, in what the Chinese military later called a “goodbye kiss.”
Lang Son has since been rebuilt, and modest high-rises emblazoned with neon give it the feel of a prosperous trading post. But people here still remember a river full of bodies, both Vietnamese and Chinese, and how long it took for the terrible smell to go away. The combined death toll has been estimated at least 50,000 troops, along with 10,000 Vietnamese civilians.
(...)
After China and Vietnam normalized relations in 1991, the government erased all official commemorations of the 1979 fighting, a contrast to the copious memorials to Vietnam’s wars against the French and the Americans in which the Chinese gave vital assistance. Relations between the fraternal Communist parties thawed, cross-border business flourished and memories were eclipsed. Those memories resurfaced two months ago with the arrival of the Chinese oil rig in waters claimed by both countries off Vietnam’s coast.
(...)

BEIJING, July 8 (Xinhua) -- China's press authority has issued rules to tighten management on information including state secrets received by journalists during their work.
Journalists are banned from illegal copying, recording, or storage of state secrets, according to the rules made public on Tuesday but released by the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television on June 30.
According to the administration, the rules cover various information, materials and news products that journalists may deal with during their work, including state secrets, commercial secrets and unpublicized information.
Under the rules, journalists should not violate non-disclosure agreements signed with their employers.
"Reporters, editors and anchormen should not disseminate state secrets in any form via any media and they should not mention such information in their private exchanges or letters," the rules stipulate.
The administration asked media institutions to standardize and step up management of job-related information and sign non-disclosure agreements with journalists in accordance with the law.

Και τώρα τους απαγόρεψαν επίσης να δουλεύουν για και να δίνουν άρθρα τους σε ξένα ΜΜΕ. (ΝΥΤ)

Στα πλαίσια της επίσκεψης του Γιαπωνέζου πρωθυπουργού στην Αυστραλία, όπου όλο το ζουμί ήταν στη συμμαχία εναντίον της ΛΔΚ στο πλευρό των ΗΠΑ, ο Αυστραλός πρωθυπουργός Τόνυ Άμποττ είπε για τους Γιαπωνέζους στρατιώτες του Β' ΠΠ πως η Αυστραλία ''admired the skill and the sense of honour that they brought to their task, although we disagreed with what they did''...

Tibetan Activist on Her Latest House Arrest
By EDWARD WONG / NYT

Πρόκειται για την Tsering Woeser. Ο άντρας της, ο (η συνέχεια στο παρακάτω απόσπασμα)...
“Wang Lixiong asked the Public Security University students [που είχαν στρογγυλοκαθίσει έξω από το διαμέρισμά τους] if they knew that what they were doing was illegal,” she wrote. “A student gave a very funny answer: ‘I have the right not to answer your question.’ It was as if he were being questioned at a trial.”

Την ίδια ώρα, στην Ελλάδα...

Συνεχίζεται η διδασκαλία κινεζικών στα πρότυπα πειραματικά σχολεία
Σε συνεργασία με την κινεζική πρεσβεία και το Ινστιτούτο Κομφούκιος

Κανονικά θα συνεχιστεί το πρόγραμμα διδασκαλίας της κινεζικής γλώσσας στα πρότυπα πειραματικά γυμνάσια σε συνεργασία με την κινεζική πρεσβεία στην Αθήνα και το Ινστιτούτο Κομφούκιος.

Την απόφαση αυτή πήρε το υπουργείο Παιδείας με στόχο τόσο τη σωστή διδασκαλία της κινεζικής γλώσσας σε ελληνικά σχολεία όσο και την ανταλλαγή πολιτιστικών στοιχείων ανάμεσα στις δυο χώρες, ώστε να καλλιεργηθεί μια σχέση αμοιβαίου σεβασμού και κατανόησης των δύο λαών.

Οι λεπτομέρειες του προγράμματος αυτού θα παρουσιαστούν την ερχόμενη εβδομάδα από τον υφυπουργό Παιδείας κ. Αλέξανδρο Δερμεντζόπουλο και αρμόδιο για θέματα πρωτοβάθμιας και δευτεροβάθμιας εκπαίδευσης, τον κ. Ζανγκ Ζαν εκ μέρους της κινεζικής πρεσβείας στην Αθήνα και την κυρία Γιανγκ Ξιουκουίν από το Ινστιτούτο Κομφούκιος.

Defining Taiwan’s Status Quo
Underlying the pithy term status quo is a hodgepodge of perceptions and different interpretations
(Timothy Rich / Thinking Taiwan)

This month, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) sent to the party’s Central Executive Committee several proposals related to the DPP charter. Arguably the most controversial includes a freeze on the party’s independence clause. While reforms to the charter are not unprecedented — eight since 1986 — this move comes at a time when the party is clearly positioning itself not only for this year’s mayoral and local elections but the 2016 presidential and legislative elections. Such a move attempts to position the party as moderate on one of Taiwan’s main electoral cleavages, the future status of Taiwan, in part to appeal to the proverbial median voter who supports the status quo. Yet appealing to the status quo itself largely sidesteps a broader issue: what does the status quo actually mean?

It is clear that a majority of Taiwanese identify with some version of the status quo and that appealing to this group therefore is in the DPP’s interest. Surveys from the Election Study Center (ESC) at National Chengchi University (NCCU) going back two decades find that roughly a third of respondents support maintaining the status quo and deciding later either on independence or unification, with another segment — roughly a fourth of the population — preferring the status quo indefinitely. In contrast, roughly a quarter support independence, either independence as soon as possible or at an unspecified later date. The ESC’s 2012 post-election survey find that while about 59% of independence supporters identify with the DPP (compared to roughly 16% identifying with the Chinese Nationalist Party, KMT), only a fraction (approximately one-fifth) of those preferring the status quo identified as supporting the DPP, compared to nearly 45% identifying with the KMT.

Yet this only tells part of the story. Underlying the pithy term status quo remains a hodgepodge of perceptions. For many the status quo is de facto independence, with formal diplomatic relations the key distinction. For others the status quo is just a game of wait and see, both in terms of what China may or may not do, but also as Taiwanese identity evolves. Still others may still be hesitant to admit their preferred outcome and risk appearing as extreme. Furthermore, support for the status quo, independence and unification may not be nearly as fixed as often presented. For example, survey work by Emerson Niou in 2004 finds that a supermajority (72%) would support independence if it did not lead to a military attack from China and nearly two-thirds (64.2%) would support unification if the political, economic, and social disparities between both sides were minimal.[1] A quarter (25.38%) would support either condition. Certainly hypothetical questions can be problematic in survey research, but these results and others like it suggest greater complexity on what is meant by both the status quo and alternatives in either direction.

The nebulously defined status quo provides challenges and opportunities. The term allows a diverse group of Taiwanese to self-identify as pragmatic moderates, but this ambiguity can also be easily used to make slippery slope arguments about their opponents. Similarly, the term risks playing into Chinese interests if defined as actions that do not provoke a negative response from China, which is rather disheartening, considering that one side of the equation is a democracy. While greater appeals in general to status quo identifiers benefit the DPP’s electoral chances, redefining the status quo — for example to focus on strengthening the quality of Taiwan’s democracy — may provide a better means to this end.

[1] Emerson Niou. 2004. “Understanding Taiwan Independence and Its Policy Implications.” Asian Survey 44(4): 555-567.

Timothy S. Rich is an assistant professor in political science at Western Kentucky University. His main research focuses on the impact of electoral reforms in Taiwan, South Korea, and Japan compared to similar legislative systems (e.g. Germany, New Zealand). His broader research interests include electoral politics, domestic and international politics of East Asia, and qualitative and quantitative methods.

Μέσω Sinocism:

At McDonald's Outlets in China, Patrons Ask Where's the Meat? (ΝΥΤ)
For vegetarians or pescatarians, the menu in many McDonald’s restaurants across China is suddenly looking very friendly. Gone are the fast-food chain’s signature Big Macs and Chicken McNuggets. Even the beef rice wraps, created specifically to cater to the tastes of the local clientele, are nowhere to be found. On Tuesday, meat shortages were being reported in many of the more than 2,000 McDonald’s outlets in China, including in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and the northeastern city of Jinan. The only sandwich left on offer in most restaurants? Filet-O-Fish.

Newspaper: Serving Expired Meat a Problem Throughout China’s Food Industry (The Nanfang)
China’s current food safety scandal involving expired meat products has focused on the Western fast food restaurants that were supplied with the tainted food, something that has led some people to directly accuse Western fast food restaurants of being the problem. However, allegations have surfaced from the Shandong-based Qilu Evening Report that alleged the use of expired meat is endemic throughout all of the Chinese food industry and is not limited to Western fast food restaurants. While there isn’t much conclusive evidence behind these allegations, they remain horrifying all the same.

Amid China Food Scandal, OSI Workers Allege Widespread Violations At Company's US Plant (International Business Times)
The American meat supplier at the center of a major food safety scandal in Asia engages in widespread food safety and labor violations at its massive processing plant in West Chicago, Illinois, former employees alleged Wednesday in exclusive conversations with International Business Times. OSI Group LLC, which posted more than $6 billion in sales last year, has been under fire since Sunday, when Chinese regulators shuttered OSI’s Shanghai Husi Food Co. Ltd. meat processing facility.

China Removes Crosses From Two More Churches in Crackdown (NYT)
In another sign of the authorities’ efforts to contain one of China’s fastest-growing religions, a government demolition campaign against public symbols of the Christian faith has toppled crosses at two more churches in the coastal province of Zhejiang, according to residents there.

In Chinese shadow, Hong Kong fights for its future (AP )
In the eyes of Chan and others, Beijing's influence has also hit the city's thriving private media. Most newspapers no longer run stories critical of the Chinese government, and even multinational banks HSBC and Standard Chartered recently raised suspicions by pulling advertising from the city's sole pro-democracy newspaper, the Apple Daily. HSBC said in a statement that the advertising decision was purely commercial, and Standard Chartered said it came after a review of their advertising strategy. In a report released this month, Hong Kong's journalists' association called the past 12 months "the darkest for press freedom for several decades," citing among other events a cleaver attack in February that left an outspoken former editor at the Ming Pao newspaper in critical condition. Last year, the French press watchdog group Reporters Without Borders ranked Hong Kong 61st in press freedom, a steep fall from No. 18 in 2002.

China Planning 'Higgs Boson Factory' With World's Biggest Super Collider (Yahoo News UK)
China is planning to build a "Higgs factory", creating a 52km super collider that will smash electrons and positrons together. Scientists at the Institute of High Energy Physics (IHEP) in Beijing are planning to build the collider – which would be the world's biggest collider – by 2028.

Νά κάτι ιστορικά επίκαιρο:
The forgotten army of the first world war: How Chinese labourers helped shape Europe (South China Morning Post)
A special report sheds light on the hundreds of thousands of forgotten migrants of fortune who toiled through the Great War

Microsoft Probed by Regulators in China Amid U.S. Tension (Bloomberg)
China regulators opened an anti-monopoly investigation into Microsoft Corp. (MSFT), seizing computers and documents from offices in four cities amid escalating tensions with U.S. technology companies. The government also is investigating Microsoft executives in China, including a vice president, according to a statement posted today on the State Administration for Industry & Commerce website. The regulator urged the company to cooperate after almost 100 SAIC staff inspected the offices yesterday, copying contracts and financial statements.

Και βέβαια η είδηση της χρονιάς, που μαγειρευόταν εδώ και δύο χρόνια:
China Starts Probe Into Former Security Chief Zhou
Zhou [Yongkang] is the first standing committee member subject to an open criminal investigation since the Cultural Revolution, when former president Liu Shaoqi died in detention after being purged by Chairman Mao Zedong and denounced as a traitor. Former party General Secretary Zhao Ziyang, who broke with other top leaders in 1989 over their decision to suppress demonstrations in Beijing’s Tian'anmen Square with tanks and troops, was put under house arrest following his June 1989 ouster and never faced criminal charges.

Πάντα μέσω Sinocism:

Fall of Zhou Yongkang Lights Up China’s Internet (WSJ)
Chinese bloggers, long used to coming up with clever ways to circumvent censorship rules, roped in International Tiger Day, which falls on July 29, for assistance. The term “tiger” became shorthand for Mr. Zhou, taking its cue from President Xi Jinping’s vow to bring down “tigers and flies,” meaning the biggest and smallest of wrongdoers, in his war on corruption. “For the imperial court to pick today to whack a tiger is very meaningful indeed!” a blogger wrote.
In some ways, official censors appeared to be directing the public discourse by deliberately loosening online controls. Terms that were taboo on the Chinese Internet for more than a year – most notably the Chinese characters for Zhou Yongkang – were unblocked about an hour after the official Xinhua news agency released its customarily terse reports on Mr. Zhou’s fall. The “ZhouYongKangPutUnderInvestigation” hashtag page even came adorned with a picture of the fallen strongman.

Pangolins being eaten to extinction, conservationists warn (The Guardian)
Scaly anteaters are now the most illegally-traded mammal in the world, with all eight species listed as threatened

With Urbanization as Goal, China Moves to Change Registration Rules
By CHRIS BUCKLEY / NYT

HONG KONG — The Chinese government on Wednesday issued proposals to break down barriers that a nationwide household registration system has long imposed between rural and urban residents and between regions, reinforcing inequality, breeding discontent and hampering economic growth.

Yet even as officials promoted easier urbanization and the goal of permanently settling another 100 million rural people in towns and cities by 2020, they said that change to the system — which links many government entitlements to a person’s official residence, even if that person has long since moved away — must be gradual and must protect big cities like Beijing.

“This reform of the household registration system will be more decisive, vigorous, broad-ranging and substantive than it’s ever been,” Huang Ming, a vice minister of public security, said at a televised news conference in Beijing where officials explained the proposals set out in a document released Wednesday.

But Mr. Huang later added a caveat that displayed the caution accompanying the promises of change. “At the same time, however, specific policies have to be tailored to the practical circumstances of each city,” he said.

Changing China’s household registration rules was one of the main planks of reform promised by President Xi Jinping at a Communist Party meeting in November, and it was reiterated in plans for more vigorous urbanization issued this year. Now Mr. Xi’s test will be achieving that promise, city by city, despite qualms and resistance from local officials and many long-term urban residents.

“I think there’s more hope of substantive change this time,” said Lu Yilong, a professor at Renmin University in Beijing who studies household registration divisions and their effects. “This is more a coordinated, top-down reform, unlike in the past when local governments had more room to set their own rules. There have been changes already, and now we need a more systematic approach.”

The barriers in China’s system of household registration, or hukou, date to Mao’s era. In the late 1950s, the system was implemented to keep famished peasants from pouring into cities. The policies later calcified into caste-like barriers that still often tie citizens’ education, welfare and housing opportunities to their official residence, even if they have moved far away from that place to find a livelihood. The restrictions hinder permanent migration between many urban and rural areas, and between regions and cities, such as between, say, Shanghai and Beijing.

“The main problem now is not the rural population moving to a local city, that’s quite easy,” said Ren Xinghui, a researcher for the Transition Institute, a privately funded organization in Beijing, who campaigns against educational discrimination directed against children from the countryside. “The main problem is migration across provinces and cities, and the controls imposed by the big cities against cross-region migration. That’s the key to hukou reform.”

Despite market forces that have transformed China’s economy, many of those barriers persist. Nowadays, about 54 percent of the population lives long-term in towns and cities. But only 36 percent of the Chinese people are counted as urban residents under the registration rules, according to government statistics. Under a plan issued in March, the government wants the long-term urban population to reach 60 percent of the total by 2020, and to increase the number with urban household status to 45 percent.

The divisions have become a source of discontent, and sometimes protest — when, for example, children from the countryside or from another city cannot enroll in a local school or take the university entrance exam where they live.

Mr. Xi and, particularly, Prime Minister Li Keqiang have argued that faster urbanization should become an engine of economic growth in the coming decades. Already, 174 million of China’s 1.3 billion people are rural migrants working away from their hometowns, Yang Zhiming, a labor and social welfare official, said at the news conference. Many economists say the barriers deter consumption by migrant workers, who are afraid to spend more of their savings.

The government document released on Wednesday brought together commitments, some already announced, to steadily and selectively lift some of these barriers. Some cities have already implemented such changes, including formally erasing the division between urban and rural registration for local residents. But experts have said such changes do not mean much unless welfare, housing and other policies are also changed to overcome persistent inequalities.

In small cities with urban populations of up to one million, people with steady jobs and housing who meet requirements for welfare payments will be allowed to register as local residents. Similar rules will apply to larger cities, with stricter limits. But the proposals say that for the biggest cities, with urban populations of five million or more, the number of newcomers must be stringently controlled, and a points system will be used to ration out household registration opportunities.

The government also said, as it has before, that it will try to ease barriers that deny places in schools, health care, family planning and other public services to residents who do not have local household registration papers. Many city governments have resisted such changes, and urban residents also fear the erosion of their privileges.

“A major reason why people want household registration in a city is for their children’s education,” said Professor Lu of Renmin University. “The value in a hukou is mostly in education and health care resources, and cities want to limit who gets those resources.”

Ilham Tohti Faces Criminal Trial Over Uighur Advocacy (NYT)
Authorities in China’s far west Xinjiang Province have formally charged the Uighur scholar Ilham Tohti with separatism, a serious crime that carries a potential death sentence. Prosecutors in Xinjiang announced the news on their microblog account, saying they had filed a motion with the Intermediate People’s Court in Urumqi, the regional capital, where Mr. Tohti has been held since shortly after he was taken from his Beijing apartment by the police in January.

State-Appointed Muslim Leader Killed in China (WSJ)
The state-approved leader of China's largest mosque by size was killed in the far western Chinese city of Kashgar, according to multiple accounts, in the latest violence in a region beset by ethnic and religious strife. An official in the religious affairs bureau of the Xinjiang region said Jume Tahir was killed Wednesday morning, but didn't know who killed the imam or how. Mr. Tahir was the leader Kashgar's ancient and symbolic Id Kah Mosque.

Wife of Party Official Killed in Xinjiang ‘Revenge Attack’ (Radio Free Asia)
The wife of a ruling Chinese Communist Party official in the restive Xinjiang region was stabbed to death and her husband severely wounded in an attack which authorities said was an act of revenge for a raid on ethnic minority Uyghur Muslims during a mosque prayer session. Unknown assailants wielding axes and knives burst into the home of party secretary Rejep Islam in Hotan prefecture’s Qaraqash county at around 3:00 a.m. on July 19, killing his wife Zeynep Memtimin and leaving him in need of urgent medical care, according to the chief of his village, Memetjan Jumaq.

Melamine found in milk candies produced in Guangdong (Shanghaiist)

Gao Zhisheng, That “Radical” Lawyer
By Chang Ping, published: August 10, 2014 (China Change)

He was not so much sentenced as kidnapped. Gao Zhisheng’s years of disappearance and other experiences revealed the “heart of darkness” of the Chinese Communist regime that tries to cloak itself in law. Because of the absence of rule of law in China, people initially refused to believe Gao Zhisheng was “released,” although he completed his prison term, until it was confirmed that he was in the company of his relatives.

Political prisoners may hold a press conference upon their release in some countries, but in China, a “released” political prisoner will still be invisible. The same fate awaits Gao Zhisheng, who was an action-taker and regarded by many as a radical.

Having read a lot of reports and commentaries the last few days, I was surprised that few mentioned the radical political expressions and actions of Gao Zhisheng, the very reasons why he was subjected to extraordinary persecution.

When Gao Zhisheng was missing for much of 2009 and 2010, many believed that he was dead. While the international attention was high and tense, inside China, not that many people were concerned about his life or death. In part, this was due to censorship, but my observation is that the lack of concern was the result of the “radical” label he had been given.

As a rights lawyer, Gao Zhisheng defended coalmine owners whose assets had been seized and farmers whose land had been taken away. He also took up highly sensitive cases involving underground churches and Falun gong practitioners, and he was regarded as having stepped over the line. Such lines were set by the CCP, but to a great extent, it was accepted by the public and even by many opponents of the CCP.

Then there were those who did not accept such lines in theory, but, in action, were willing to accept them to “avoid making unnecessary sacrifices.” But to Gao Zhisheng and his supporters, these sacrifices were not only necessary but a must.

So Gao Zhisheng “overstepped the line” further and further. He not only wrote open letters to the National People’s Congress and the Hu Jintao and Wen Jiabao administration to condemn the violent crackdown on people and the persecution of Falungong practitioners. He also launched a hunger strike rally. His actions were openly criticized by other dissidents such as Ding Zilin (丁子霖), the best known “Tiananmen Mother,” and Pu Zhiqiang (浦志强) who has advocated “the path of rational rights defense.”

Gao Zhisheng’s critics believed that Gao strayed from his role as a lawyer when he politicized rights defense actions. They believed that the lawyers’ battlefield was in the courtroom and they should not go on the street to protest. Gao’s critics also worried that, doing what Gao Zhisheng did, they would stand to lose even more since the authorities were bound to retaliate against them.

Responding to Ding Zilin’s criticism, Gao Zhisheng said, “In human societies, any politics that prohibit, or in effect prohibit, participation by ordinary people are the most evil and immoral politics” which “in turn create a distorted logic: the politics of the party are great, glorious and correct, and the politics of those who oppose the Party are, without doubt, reactionary, irresponsible and shameful, and can be illegally repressed, or even killed, for any reason.” He quoted Sun Yat-sen saying that politics are the affairs of the people.

This controversy occurred eight or nine years ago. To this day, the moderate actions of the Tiananmen Mothers have received no response whatsoever from the Chinese authorities, rational rights lawyer Pu Zhiqiang is in prison, and “radical” lawyer Gao Zhisheng is in danger of living invisibly. Time has written the best footnote to this argument about the struggle for rights in China, “radical” or “rational.”

Chang Ping (长平), former chief commentator and news director of Southern Weekend. He writes columns for the South China Morning Post, Deutsche Welle, and a number of Chinese language websites. Forced to leave China and then Hong Kong, he currently lives in Germany.

Μέσω Sinocism:

The Last of the Gilded Citadels
Life Inside the Secretive World of Beijing's PLA Compounds
By Karoline Kan | August 2014 (That's Online)
Ενδιαφέρον κείμενο, για τις νησίδες προνομιούχας κομουνιστικής ευτυχίας στους ενστόλους του Λαϊκού Απελευθερωτικού Στρατού, και την τωρινή φθορά τους.

Censorship at China Studies Meeting
By Elizabeth Redden August 6, 2014 (Inside Higher Ed)
Εις τας Πορτογαλίας:
According to a detailed account posted on the European Association for Chinese Studies website, conference materials were seized and several pages removed from the conference program – including an advertisement for the Taiwan-based Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exchange, a conference cosponsor -- after the chief executive of Confucius Institute Headquarters, Xu Lin, objected to the contents.
(...)
Marshall Sahlins, one of the leading critics of the Confucius Institutes and the Charles F. Grey Distinguished Service Professor of Anthropology Emeritus at the University of Chicago, said the incident brings to light the Confucius Institute’s seriousness in enforcing its contractual provisions stating that programming under its name must abide by Chinese laws and regulations – which would, he noted, encompass a wide range of restrictions on speech.

“Moreover they’re going to enforce them the way they do in China which is not so much by going to court... but simply by fiat,” Sahlins said.