Η παπαριά είναι ένα δέντρο σαν την αχλαδιά μόνο που δεν κάνει αχλάδια

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
That entire site, like http://freakipedia.net/index.php5?title=Main_Page, is a parody. Παπάρι is fine (though its connection to παπάρα has never been obvious to me), you already know its use in the plural, but I hate to disappoint you, there is no such tree as παπαριά, and fruit like what I can see in the photograph there may probably come in the shape of gourds in real life.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Theseus,

There's no need for an image; it's vivid in the minds of everyone using the expression. You've guessed it right, it's the bollocks tree, both literally (if such a thing existed) and figuratively, as you can see from the meaning of παπάρι and παπάρια in Wiktionary and slang.gr.

By the way, there's a typo in the Freakipedia article; the family name should be Paparidae. :p

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
[...] Παπάρι is fine (though its connection to παπάρα has never been obvious to me) [...]

Apart from the similarity in sound, I don't know if there's a semantic connection between the two. Let's see what two major dictionaries and Wikipedia say about παπάρα:

παπάρα η [papára] O25 : (οικ.) 1. κομμάτια ψωμιού βουτηγμένα σε νερό, σε γάλα, σε σούπα κτλ.: Tο παιδί έφαγε την ~ του. M΄ αρέσει τη σούπα μου να την κάνω ~. ΦP τρώω ~, υφίσταμαι έντονη παρατήρηση, επίπληξη, κατσάδιασμα. 2. (μτφ.) (συνήθ. πληθ.) ανόητα, επιπόλαια, υπερβολικά λόγια: Aυτά που λες είναι παπάρες. [ιταλ. (διαλεκτ.) pappara]
(ΛΚΝ)

παπάρα (η) (οικ.) {χωρ. γεν. πληθ.) 1. ψωμί μουσκεμένο (σε νερό, γάλα, λάδι σαλάτας κ.λπ.) 2. φαγητό από μικρά κομμάτια ψωμιού σε ζωμό: κάνω τη σούπα μου ~ 3. (μτφ. στον πληθ.) ανόητα λόγια. [ΕΤΥΜ. < τουρκ. papara < σλαβ. popara < popariam «ζεματίζω»].
(ΛΝΕΓ)

Popara (Cyrillic: Попара) (Greek: Παπάρα, Turkish: papara), is a meal made with left over or fresh bread. It is mostly made in Turkey, Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia, Macedonia and Montenegro. ... Popara is a traditional kids' breakfast meal. ... Tirit is a Turkish dish made from old bread so it doesn't have to be thrown away.

Edit: Also from Dimitrakos dictionary because it includes a meaning rather rare today, that of an insult or severe reproach:

Last edited:
Actually, παπαριά is usually an idiotic action(a), words(b) or useless object(c). It comes in many flavours, of which I will highlight the most important ones:

(a)-Θα τα παίξω όλα στο χρηματιστήριο.
-Μην κάνεις παπαριές.

(c)-Λες να πάρω το Fifa 2012 ή το PES 2012;
-To Fifa πάρε, το PES είναι μια παπαριά και μισή.

(b)-Άκουσες τι είπε ο Schäuble;
-Καμμιά καινούρια παπαριά;

It's more of a straight noun rather than an exclamation (it may be used as one, though).

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh well, if you insist we should pick the fruit :-\

παπαριά
3. Λέξη ιδιαιτέρως διαδεδομένη η οποία σημαίνει βλακείες, ανοησίες, χαζομάρες.
-Μου είπε ότι θα βγει με τη Μπελούτσι...
-Παπαριές!

παπαριά καμαρωτή:
- Ο Πρωθυπουργός είπε ότι θα πάει το μαχαίρι στο κόκκαλ(η).
- Παπαριές καμαρωτές!

παπάρια μάντολες, παπαριές μανίτσα μου, and loads of other derivatives and thereabouts in slang.gr.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Κά-τω τα χέ-ρια απ' τη Μπε-λούτσι! Τον χαβά μου εγώ...

Κά-τω τα χέ-ρια, απτή Μπε-λούτσι!
Έτσι δεν το λες; Ή βάζεις την απόστροφο;

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Επειδή η παπαριά δεν κάνει αχλάδια, σας έφερα μερικά, over the nuts and the wine. :whistle:

What is the meaning of the proverb at the end of this Dimitrakos snippet? Does it mean 'He who chooses fluidity, takes amazement??' Odd? Help!

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it means that whoever seeks something spotless or unblemished (see λαγαρός) will be disappointed.
I'd render it with something like this, perhaps: Being too picky gets you nοwhere in the end.

Edit: in snippet terms (or maybe term snippets):

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. Όποιος / Ποιος διαλέγει τη λαγάρα, παίρνει την παπάρα. The picky ones get the worst / the leftovers.

cougr

¥
Forgot to add that "bollocks" also used to refer to "priests" or to the "rubbish spoken by priests".

Last edited: