metafrasi banner

welder

cosmasad

Hello friends,

Can someone tell me what the colloquial word/ phrase is for a welder as in the person who uses a torch to attach pieces of metal together? I am looking for the word that street people might use.

Thank you.

Hello, Cosmas,

ηλεκτροσυγκολλητής, ο - welder
ηλεκτροσυγκόλληση/ηλεκτροκόλληση, η - welding

I'm not sure, but I think that σιδηροκολλητής might be the more general term, which can be further specified as ηλεκτροσυγκολλητής / ηλεκτροκολλητής when using electricity, οξυγονοσυγκολλητής / οξυγονοκολλητής for acetylene, etc. I'd use the latter for welding with a torch, but maybe someone else will know for sure.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure, but I think that σιδηροκολλητής might be the more general term, which can be further specified as ηλεκτροσυγκολλητής / ηλεκτροκολλητής when using electricity, οξυγονοσυγκολλητής / οξυγονοκολλητής for acetylene, etc. I'd use the latter for welding with a torch, but maybe someone else will know for sure.

Σιδηροκολλητής is rather rare in texts, more so in actual spoken language.
In welding, the norm has always been to define the person by the tool/method [οξυγονοκολλητής with a torch, ηλεκτρο(συγ)κολλητής with electric/arc welding] they use, not by the material they weld.

Last edited:

SBE

¥
Εγώ το ξέρω σκέτο συγκολλητής.

Όλα τα κολλάει, όλα τα μαχαιρώνει.
Το Ελληνικό Ινστιτούτο Συγκολλήσεων.