metafrasi banner

Turn on, tune in, drop out

Alexandra

Super Moderator
Staff member
"Turn on, tune in, drop out" is a counterculture phrase popularized by Timothy Leary in the 1960s. In a 1988 interview with Neil Strauss, Leary stated that slogan was "given to him" by Marshall McLuhan during a lunch in New York City. Leary added that McLuhan "was very much interested in ideas and marketing, and he started singing something like, 'Psychedelics hit the spot / Five hundred micrograms, that's a lot,' to the tune of a Pepsi commercial. Then he started going, 'Tune in, turn on, and drop out'." The phrase was utilized by Leary in a speech he delivered at the opening of a press conference in New York City on September 19, 1966. It urged people to embrace cultural changes through the use of psychedelics and by detaching themselves from the existing conventions and hierarchies in society.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn_on,_tune_in,_drop_out

Τι προτείνετε για απόδοση;

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Σημασία έχουν οι εξηγήσεις που έδωσε στο Flashback:

"Turn on" meant go within to activate your neural and genetic equipment. Become sensitive to the many and various levels of consciousness and the specific triggers that engage them. Drugs were one way to accomplish this end. "Tune in" meant interact harmoniously with the world around you - externalize, materialize, express your new internal perspectives. "Drop out" suggested an active, selective, graceful process of detachment from involuntary or unconscious commitments. "Drop Out" meant self-reliance, a discovery of one's singularity, a commitment to mobility, choice, and change. Unhappily my explanations of this sequence of personal development were often misinterpreted to mean "Get stoned and abandon all constructive activity".

Προτείνω: Συνειδητοποιήσου, συντονίσου, απομακρύνσου.

Εναλλακτικά: Ευαισθητοποιήσου, συντονίσου, αυτονομήσου.

Οι πληθυντικοί θα είναι πιο εύκολοι:
Συνειδητοποιηθείτε, συντονιστείτε, απομακρυνθείτε.
Ευαισθητοποιηθείτε, συντονιστείτε, αυτονομηθείτε.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Αναρωτιέμαι μήπως θα πρέπει να κρατήσουμε το «Φτιάξου» για το «Turn on», αφού στο κάτω κάτω πώς αλλιώς θα το παρεξηγούσαν;

Για το «drop out» σκέφτηκα και το λαϊκό «ξεκόλλα». Από το ομότιτλο βιβλίο του:

Drop Out—detach yourself from the external social drama which is as dehydrated and ersatz as TV.
Turn On—find a sacrament which returns you to the temple of God, your own body. Go out of your mind. Get high.
Tune In—be reborn. Drop back in to express it. Start a new sequence of behavior that reflects your vision.
But the sequence must continue. You cannot stand still.
Death. Life. Structure.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Όχι «μαστούρωσε». Λέει: «Unhappily my explanations of this sequence of personal development were often misinterpreted to mean "Get stoned and abandon all constructive activity"».

Τώρα εμένα γιατί μου' ρχεται το "Ψεκάστε, σκουπίστε, τελειώσατε";

Κάτι πιο άμεσο και πεζό ίσως θα ήταν: Μπες, νιώσε (δες την - ίσως), φύγε.

Έγώ κατέφθασα στο νήμα αυτό σαν αλεξιπτωτιστής, από εδώ.

Ωστόσο, μιας και διάβασα τα λεγόμενα, θα ήθελα να ρωτήσω: τι γνώμη έχετε για το ξύπνα, συντονίσου, ξεκόλλα;

Ή, στο πιο κουλτουριάρικο, με βάση (και πάλι) την πρόταση του nickel: αφυπνίσου, συντονίσου, αυτονομήσου.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
τι γνώμη έχετε για το ξύπνα, συντονίσου, ξεκόλλα;

Μην κοιτάς που δεν απαντάμε. Δεν έχει νόημα σε τέτοιες περιπτώσεις. Είναι χρήσιμο να υπάρχουν πολλές απόψεις εκεί που δεν έχει επικρατήσει κάποια στην ευρύτερη αγορά. Γι' αυτό δεν περνάμε και τίποτα στον τίτλο. Ο ενδιαφερόμενος ας διαβάσει τους δικούς μας προβληματισμούς κι ας αποφασίσει σύμφωνα με τις δικές του ανάγκες και προτιμήσεις. Διαβάστε, διαλέξτε, τελειώσατε.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Ωστόσο, μιας και διάβασα τα λεγόμενα, θα ήθελα να ρωτήσω: τι γνώμη έχετε για το ξύπνα, συντονίσου, ξεκόλλα;
I asked Bobby Dylan
I asked The Beatles
I asked Timothy Leary
But he couldn't help me either

They call me 'The Seeker'.....
(—Guess Who. —The Who? —Yes. THE Band.)
I've been searching low and high

;)