metafrasi banner

There's no such thing as a free lunch

nickel

Administrator
Staff member

Αναζητώντας την προέλευση της έκφρασης There's no such thing as a free lunch, ανακάλυψα ότι δεν είναι πρωτότυπη έκφραση του Μίλτον Φρίντμαν (κι ας την είχε πιπίλα) αλλά ούτε και ο Χάινλαϊν την επινόησε. Η πιθανότερη εξήγηση για την προέλευση της έκφρασης μάς πηγαίνει στα μπαρ του Φαρ Ουέστ, όπου το γεύμα ήταν δωρεάν αν κατανάλωνες πάνω από μια συγκεκριμένη ποσότητα οινοπνεύματος — στο τέλος ανακάλυπτες ότι σου ερχόταν η μια η άλλη.

Στα αγγλικά:
There’s no such thing as a free lunch
There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch
There’s no such thing as a free meal

Ελληνικές αποδόσεις:
Τίποτα δεν είναι δωρεάν
Το τζάμπα πέθανε
(αλλά μην το πείτε στη μάνα του :-) )

Όπως συμβαίνει σχεδόν πάντα (και όπως δίδαξαν οι πρόγονοί μας), κυκλοφορεί και η έκφραση με την αντίθετη σημασία: The best things in life are free. Πιστεύω ότι αυτή έγινε δημοφιλής (αν δεν ξεκίνησε κιόλας) ως τίτλος τραγουδιού από το μιούζικαλ του 1925 Good News των Ray Henderson & Buddy DeSylva. Σας καταθέτω παρακάτω εκτέλεση του 1928, αλλά το YouTube φιλοξενεί εκτελέσεις με μεγάλα ονόματα (Κρόσμπι, Μάριο Λάντσα κ.ά.).

Αλλά να επιστρέψουμε στο δωρεάν γεύμα. Έχουμε αρκετές χρήσεις στο Dictionary of Proverbs και ο Safire στο λεξικό του περιλαμβάνει αναλυτική παρουσίαση.

Μου άρεσε το παρακάτω απόσπασμα από το βιβλίο Free Lunch του David Smith, που περιλαμβάνει και την ιταλική (λατινική τη λέει!) έκφραση «È finita la cuccagna!» (The party’s over).

[…] the one snappy phrase from economics most people will have heard of, even if they are unaware it has anything to do with the subject, is: ‘There’s no such thing as a free lunch.’ You never, in other words, get something for nothing. As I am a journalist often required to lunch, not always enjoyably, it has always been close to my heart. It is such a famous phrase, incidentally, that its origins are unclear. While it is often attributed to the American economist Milton Friedman, of whom more later, the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations lists its authorship as Anonymous, first coming into circulation in American university economic departments in the 1960s but making it into print, not in a textbook or learned article, but in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, a 1966 novel by the science-fiction writer Robert Heinlein. It is likely, however, that the phrase was in use much earlier than this. The San Francisco News used it in a 1949 editorial, itself reputed to be a reprint of one written in 1938, while the legendary New York mayor Fiorello La Guardia said it in 1934, albeit in Latin (È finita la cuccagna!). As for the origin of the idea, bars in the west of America commonly offered free lunch to patrons buying a certain amount of alcohol. Those who stayed sober soon worked out that they were paying for their lunch with what they were being charged for beer or whisky.

Άλλες πηγές:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_ain't_no_such_thing_as_a_free_lunch
https://www.google.com/search?q="thing+as+a+free+lunch"&btnG=Search+Books&tbm=bks&tbo=1

Νιώθω υποχρεωμένος να καταθέσω και το απόσπασμα από το The Moon is a Harsh Mistress του Χάινλαϊν:

"Gospodin," he said presently, "you used an odd word earlier--odd to me, I mean."
"Call me 'Mannie' now that kids are gone. What word?"
"It was when you insisted that the, uh, young lady, Tish-- that Tish must pay, too. 'Tone-stapple,' or something like it."
"Oh, 'tanstaafl.' Means 'There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.' And isn't," I added, pointing to a FREE LUNCH sign across room, "or these drinks would cost half as much. Was reminding her that anything free costs twice as much in long run or turns out worthless."
"An interesting philosophy."
"Not philosophy, fact. One way or other, what you get, you pay for." I fanned air. "Was Earthside once and heard expression 'Free as air.' This air isn't free, you pay for every breath."

Καπάκι το αντίδοτο: The best things in life are free (Are they, though?)

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Ουδέν εξ ουδενός έλεγε ήδη ο Παρμενίδης (nihil ex nihilo).

Στο βικιάρθρο της παραπομπής και άλλες ανάλογες διατυπώσεις (π.χ. από τον Βασιλιά Ληρ), που ουσιαστικά διατυπώνουν φιλοσοφικά τον δεύτερο νόμο της Θερμοδυναμικής, τον νόμο της εντροπίας.

Earion

Staff member
The Beatles - Money (The best things in life are free)

The best things in life are free
But you can keep 'em for the birds and bees.
Now gimme money (that's what I want)
That's what I want (that's what I want) ...

Your lovin' give me a thrill
But your lovin' don't pay my bills.
Now gimme money (that's what I want) ...

Money don't get everything it's true.
What it don't get I can't use.

Money don't get everything it's true.
What it don't get I can't use.

Well now give me money (that's what I want)
A lot of money (that's what I want)
Oh yeah, I wanna be free (that's what I want)
Oh a lot of money (that's what I want)
That's what I want (that's what I want), oh-yeh
That's what I want.

Το είπανε και οι Flying Lizards το '79, αλλά δεν το βάζω, γιατί θα φρίξει ο Νίκελ :laugh:

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Αργήσατε, αργήσατε.

Ήθελα να ανεβάσω αυτή την απίθανη, αχώνευτη, αγαπημένη εκτέλεση.

Χε, χε! Πόσο με κατάλαβες!

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Ο Γουίλιαμ Σαφάιρ, ... από το λήμμα nobody shoots at Santa Claus.
Santa Claus, nobody shoots at
Proverb about the political folly of attacking government entitlements.

Former Governor Alfred E. Smith, in a press conference in New York late in 1933, said, "No sane local official who has hung up an empty stocking over the municipal fireplace is going to shoot Santa Claus just before a hard Christmas." In 1936, when Smith, the embittered 1928 Democratic presidential candidate, was campaigning against Roosevelt, he shortened the point to a simple "nobody shoots at Santa Claus."

Barry Goldwater, campaigning for the Republican presidential nomination in 1964, told the Economic Club of New York: "It is my chore to ask you to consider the toughest proposition ever faced by believers in the free-enterprise system: the need for a frontal attack against Santa Claus— not the Santa Claus of the holiday season, of course, but the Santa Claus of the free lunch, the government handout, the Santa Claus of something-for-nothing and something-for-everyone."

Another man to take aim at the popular symbol of Christmas was Orville Freeman, campaigning for a fourth term as governor of Minnesota According to economist Walter Heller, Freeman went around the state telling people frankly that the services they wanted could only be paid for with higher taxes—that, in his phrase, "There ain’t no Santa Claus." He lost.
[...]

In the don't-you-believe-it lexicon, baloney is the harshest denunciation; pie in the sky
[2] is severe, but fondly archaic; free lunch is usually limited to economic affairs; tooth fairy [2] requires the most childlike belief; Santa Claus and Uncle Sugar are most closely associated with government benefits. Not too far afield is a Goldilocks economy—"not too hot, not too cold, but just right," as in perfect porridge.

Νο Free Lunch (No Free Lunch) - Green On Red

Επαναλαμβάνομαι, με χειρότερο ήχο, αλλά εκείνο το βίντεο έχει γίνει απόρρητο, λέει.
Επαναλαμβάνομαι, με καλύτερο ήχο.

But sometimes there is a free lunch, after all, all you can eat, if you can eat it all. ;)

Last edited:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Αργήσατε, αργήσατε.

;)

Από το αργυρώνημα: Money (That's What I Want) από τους Rolling Stones και από τους ντόπιους Burger Project.

Εδώ η πρώτη του ηχογράφηση από τον Μπάρετ Στρονγκ (παρότι το είπαν πάμπολλοι, για τον ίδιο ήταν η μια κι έξω επιτυχία του ως τραγουδιστή) και το πρώτο σουξέ της Motown του Μπέρι Γκόρντι:

[video=youtube;ijEgfnJuirA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ijEgfnJuirA[/video]

και μια από τις καλύτερες επανεκτελέσεις, του Μπάντι Γκάι:

Last edited: