metafrasi banner

power station

Thanks, Marinos. It was this phrase that hindered me from making sense of the sentence. And clearly it was a transitional phrase, moving from the unrelated μηλνέγ to μιλφέιγ.:)

Είπατε διάφορα για τα εργοστάσια της ΔΕΗ και ξεχάσατε τον θερμοηλεκτρικό/ υδροηλεκτρικό σταθμό.

Καλά λες, ήθελα να το βάλω και το ξέχασα. Ο θερμοηλεκτρικός σταθμός (thermal power station) λέγεται επίσης ατμοηλεκτρικός σταθμός –η ΔΕΗ μάλιστα χρησιμοποιεί κυρίως τον τελευταίο όρο– με αντίστοιχα αρκτικόλεξα τα ΘΗΣ και ΑΗΣ. Ο υδροηλεκτρικός σταθμός (hydroelectric power station) συντομεύεται ΥΗΣ, ενώ ο υποσταθμός (substation) συντομεύεται Υ/Σ. Οι περισσότεροι χρησιμοποιούν τη λέξη «υποσταθμός» μόνο για τους Υ/Σ υψηλής ή πολύ υψηλής τάσης, εκείνες τις μεγάλες, περιφραγμένες εγκαταστάσεις γεμάτες πυλώνες και ογκώδη εξοπλισμό· τους υποσταθμούς μέσης τάσης, που βρίσκονται σε κάθε γειτονιά, πολύς κόσμος τους αποκαλεί «μετασχηματιστές», αν και στην πραγματικότητα ο μετασχηματιστής (transformer) αποτελεί μόνο τμήμα τού υποσταθμού.

SBE

¥
Theseus, to recap:
Είδες ο/η/το Τάδε; (said after someone reports something unexpected done by Τάδε)
Και ενώ νόμιζε ο Λάκης ο ταβερνιάρης ότι γλύτωσε από την εφορία, τον κάρφωσε ο κουμπάρος στην αγορανομία. Στενός φίλος του ο κουμπάρος. Είδες ο κουμπάρος; Ο Λάκης όμως πήρε ένα τηλέφωνο τον άλλο του κουμπάρο, το βουλευτή, και το θέμα ετελείωσε*. Είδες άμα ξέρεις τα κατατόπια;

Να δω ποιος... Let's see who....
Να δω ποιος θα πάει τώρα να πει του Λάκη κουβέντα.

Thanks, SBE! Does κουμπάρος here mean 'best man' & I listened to the video clip, which is clearly & humorously about pulling strings & political corruption. The phrase θέμα ετέλειωσε seems reasonably common. In Cyprus there is the recent headline «Το παναΰριν ετέλειωσε» που λέει και ο Παμπορίδης. Presumably πανάυριν is πανηγύρι. Does είδες άμα ξέρεις τα κατατόπια mean 'did you see 'if you know the ropes?'' :)

SBE

¥
Κουμπάρος here means either best man or someone who is the godfather of one's child. It does not matter which because both are equally important relationships.

Τελειωσε= it's over. I don't know how Cypriots talk, and I think you should stick to standard Greek which is spoken and understood by all Cypriots and also written by everyone in Lexi. This is to avoid confusion, as there clearly is some confusion here. Ετελείωσε especially when said like in the film clip means exactly what it means in the clip (and the word has become a sort of catchphrase because of this film and its 1960s remake). So what you are getting here is a snippet of popular culture, not a grammar lesson. Ετελείωσε= it's sorted (but not really).

My confusion, SBE! I knew what ετελείωσε immediately. The video clip added to my confusion since your ετελείωσε was highlighted in red & asterisked.
My reference to Cypriot Greek was merely to illustrate the same meaning viz. 'the party's over'. Now you have explained it as also a catchphrase the matter is clear.
Last question:-
Does είδες άμα ξέρεις τα κατατόπια mean 'did you see 'if you know the ropes?'' this is the only bit which puzzles me, unless 'do you know the ropes/the lie of the land? 'is some sort of title.:(

SBE

¥
είδες άμα ξέρεις τα κατατόπια = see what happens if you know the ropes?
Είδες ο κουμπάρος; see what the koumbaros did? = you weren't expecting that from him, were you?

Thanks, SBE, as ever. The problem was the tense of είδες [in my mind I registered it as 'did you see?']. Then the present tense of ξέρω sounded strange.
It's obiously a very useful idiom for 'see what..../see what happens if ' type of idioms.:)