metafrasi banner

bench

pontios

Exactly resident.

Equipment comes in different styles and sizes - such as hand held, bench top, industrial mega scale etc..

Here bench = φορητό... i.e. something sturdy but lightweight that you can carry/move around easily.
Μιλάμε για ένα φορητό ανιχνευτή αερίων που χρησιμοποιείται σε μικρά εργαστήρια... και συνήθως βρίσκεται επάνω σε πάγκο.

cougr

¥
@ resident and pontios

Further to the above comment by dharvatis and taking into consideration the photo linked to Kapa18's initial post and captioned "NDIR Infrared Gas sensor bench....", one is left with no doubt that the term in this case is referring to that component of a gas sensor known as a "bench" aka as "optical bench" and does not relate here to the portability or bench-top utility of the unit.

The first link shows something that looks like a motherboard even though it is not. It is indeed mentioned as a gas sensor bench or Gasboard-2000 NDIR (nondispersive infrared sensor) bench, and Siemens among others sells an NDIR bench under the name SIBENCH that they call it a 3-gas optical bench. If the original concern/question is about the analyzer I would still recommend the use of benchtop. If it is for the sensor I would call it a (compact) sensor.

pontios

I came in as a late interloper and missed a couple of early posts - cougr and dharvatis you are right on the money... it refers to a gas sensor arrangement aka the optical bench.

cougr

¥
The first link shows something that looks like a motherboard even though it is not.

I'm beating a dead horse here and hence will not be revisiting the issue but "that something that looks like a motherboard" is in fact the motherboard, which amongst other things performs most of the signal conditioning and processing required for the functioning of the bench, which in this case, as depicted in the photo, happens to be mounted on it.