metafrasi banner

An ordinary word for a farm

cosmasad

I am looking for the best colloquial word for a farm as in a piece of property where they grow produce or graze animals. I see "αγρόκτημα" but is that the best choice? Is that how a farmer would refer to his property? I'm not talking about an "official" word like the kind you might find on a tax return but a colloquial word - or phrase.

Thanking you in advance...

cosmasad

Oh, wow -- I'm puzzled at why there doesn't seem to be an answer to this. Okay- to be more specific if I wanted to translate "Pavlos buried his father on his farm." could one say "Ο Παύλος έθαψε τον πατέρα του στο αγροτικό του κτήμα"?

«Αγροτικό κτήμα» δεν θα έγραφα. Το «αγρόκτημα» είναι μια χαρά, και επίσης μπορούμε να πούμε σκέτο «κτήμα»: «Ο Παύλος έθαψε τον πατέρα του στο κτήμα του».

Εξαρτάται βέβαια και από την έμφαση: ένα κτήμα μπορεί να είναι απλώς μια εξοχική έκταση γης που ανήκει στον Παύλο, και η οποία συνήθως είναι καλλιεργήσιμη, αλλά δεν είναι απαραίτητα καλλιεργημένη. Μια φάρμα ή ένα αγρόκτημα, από την άλλη, συνήθως περιλαμβάνει διάφορες αγροτικές ή κτηνοτροφικές εγκαταστάσεις. Αν μας απασχολεί η διάκριση, αυτό επηρεάζει και την επιλογή μας.

Προσθήκη: Α, με πρόλαβαν. :-)

SBE

¥
Additionally, you might find that there are different words used for places that are used for agriculture and places used for animals.