Από την Αγγλία και τη Σκοτία, την Ιρλανδία και την Ουαλία: Μπαλάντες και τραγούδια του λαού

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean

"My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean" is a traditional Scottish folk song which remains popular in Western culture. The origin of the song is unknown, though it is often suggested that the subject of the song may be Charles Edward Stuart (‘Bonnie Prince Charlie’).

My Bonnie lies over the ocean
My Bonnie lies over the sea
My Bonnie lies over the ocean
Oh, bring back my Bonnie to me

REFRAIN:
Bring back, bring back
Bring back my Bonnie to me, to me
Bring back, bring back
Bring back my Bonnie to me

Last night as I lay on my pillow
Last night as I lay on my bed
Last night as I lay on my pillow
I dreamt that my Bonnie was dead

REFRAIN

Oh blow the winds o'er the ocean
And blow the winds o'er the sea
Oh blow the winds o'er the ocean
And bring back my Bonnie to me

REFRAIN

The winds have blown over the ocean
The winds have blown over the sea
The winds have blown over the ocean
And brought back my Bonnie to me

REFRAIN

My Bonnie is the name of a 1961 single, a 1962 album and a 1963 EP by Tony Sheridan and The Beat Brothers, better known as The Beatles.
Legend says, in 1961, Raymond Jones, a young man from Liverpool, made a request for a copy of the "My Bonnie" single, which brought The Beatles to the attention of then-record store manager Brian Epstein, and set in motion the events that would lead him to become their manager. After The Beatles became successful, the eight tracks The Beatles worked on and some other Beat Brothers material were issued on an album in 1964 titled The Beatles' First.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Raggle Taggle Gypsy / Tabhair dom do Lámh (Give me your Hand) / Three Drunken Maidens - Planxty

There were three drunken maidens
Came from the Isle of Wight
They started to drink on a Monday
Never stopped till Saturday night
But when Saturday night was come, me lads
Still they wouldn't get out
These three drunken maidens
They pushed the jug about
... :whistle:

O Dónal Lunny στο μπουζούκι και ο Andy Irvine στο ιρλανδέζικο μπουζούκι (basúcaí Éireannach). Ναι, ιρλανδέζικο μπουζούκι:

Our stop in Ireland is the ideal opportunity to talk about the Irish Bouzouki, a handy little instrument for any guitarist to have around and a living specimen of what is known as a successfull musical mixture.

Celtic music was often played in bands, whether in Ireland, Scotland, Wales or Brittany, traditionally with a violin, accordion, harp, flutes, percussions & bagpipes.

The Renaissance of Irish music has been simultaneous with the arrival of the guitar as used now as the banjo and even as the bouzouki whose Greek origin has been lost by many an Irishman. When one thinks of musical mixtures, one often pictures people travelling along with their traditional instruments, meeting other people along the way, influencing and being influenced by their different musical cultures.

The Irish Bouzouki is the most recent example of successful musical integration. It is all the more interesting & surprising as it has taken place in just a few recent decades and is neither the consequence of military invasions or of any economical warfare.

In the Irish Bouzouki case, two essential elements have created this modern mix : travels & the power of the media. At the end of the 60's, two Irish musicians, Johnny Moynihan & Alec Finn (whose paternity in the matter has been very controversed) integrated the bouzouki in their music further to a trip to Greece.

Little by little, other musicians were inspired by this new sound, made popular through the media (radio). The type of sound it produces, gives more precision than a 12-string (the Bouzouki has 8) and isn't as sharp as a mandolin. It very naturally took it's place in the traditional Celtic environment.

To have an 'imported' instrument set such a standard, requires certain technical qualities that were present in this particular situation. Johnny & Alec had certainly struck a winner. The trial attempts they made have survived musical trends since, further to certain alterations in shape and chords, local stringed-instrument manufacturers have begun to supply a demanding market of Irish musicians, and a young Dubliner may now very well believe he is purchasing and playing an instrument passed down from generation to generation, as a national heritage, when he's really perpetrating a Central-Asian chain that began centuries ago with the Saz, which is a Turkish instrument from which the Bouzouki originated at the turn of this century.

This is the instrument that is our Celtic's cousin. The two most popular tunings are the : GDAD & ADAD with double strings. If you travel to Greece on your next vacation, you might want to buy one there.

Han's Irish Bouzouki homepage.

The Raggle Taggle Gypsy - The Waterboys

Earion

Staff member
Wraggle Taggle Gypsies - Alfred Deller

Alfred Deller, countertenor -- Desmond Dupré, lute. From the Album "The Three Ravens / The Wraggle-Taggle Gypsies"