Αγγλικά λογοπαίγνια – English puns

daeman

Administrator
Staff member

daeman

Administrator
Staff member

Το λυσάρι: screwage, Arnold Zwicky's Blog (mostly about language):

It turns out that screwage is attested in at least three senses, involving differet [sic] bases screw and different uses of the derivational suffix -age.

First, there’s the screwage the waiter intended, which is in OED2, where, however, it’s marked as rare:
The action or process of screwing.
with only one cite:
1865 T. Carlyle Hist. Friedrich II of Prussia VI. xx. vi. 146 The Butes and Hardwickes working incessantly with such rare power of leverage and screwage in the interior parts.

Then there’s the screwage the waiter was avoiding. From Spears’s Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions, 4th ed. (2007):
copulation; acts of copulation; the people and actions of copulation: His mind is on nothing but “screwage” and how to get some of it.
(This has screw ‘fuck’.)

Finally, there’s a computer sense, which the Jargon File (12/1/94) characterizes as:
Like lossage but connotes that the failure is due to a designed-in misfeature rather than a simple inadequacy or a mere bug.
(This appears to have the screw of screw up.)

Πηγή: http://arnoldzwicky.org/2013/10/10/screwage/

What is a corkage fee?

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Δεν μπορώ, θα πω τι συνέβη προ ημερών που γυρίζαμε με μέλος του φόρουμ από τους Μόντι.

Είμαστε στο λεωφορείο και έχουμε κάτσει με την ΑΜ σε απέναντι καθίσματα στο διάδρομο. Δίπλα στην ΑΜ είναι ένα νεαρό κορίτσι. Κάποια στιγμή προσέχω το πόδι της καθώς το σταυρώνει πάνω από το άλλο γόνατο. Δίπλα στον αστράγαλο έχει φτιάξει ένα απλό τατουάζ με τον ελέφαντα μέσα στο φίδι που μοιάζει με καπέλο.
— Α, Εξιπερί, λέω στην ΑΜ.
— Ναι, το πρόσεξα πριν, μου λέει αυτή.
— Θα το έχει κάνει για να τεστάρει τα αρσενικά, λέω.
Πάει σε λίγο να κατέβει το κορίτσι, οπότε η ΑΜ τη ρωτάει:
— Πες μας γιατί μας έχει φάει η περιέργεια: πόσοι έχουν καταλάβει από πού είναι το τατουάζ σου;
— Ένας, λέει αυτή.
Οπότε αποφασίσαμε ότι το τεστ είναι δύσκολο.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Οπότε αποφασίσαμε ότι το τεστ είναι δύσκολο.

I Need Air (It's A Hat) (The Little Prince, 1974) - The Pilot, Chorus

music: Frederic Loewe, lyrics: Alan Jay Lerner

It's a hat, it's a hat
if it's anything, it's a hat

Not Picasso or Corot
But a very nice chapeau

Are you kidding?
It's a hat, you silly brat!

Ο Μπομπ *Φόσσσι (Μπομπ Φόσι) *σστο ρόλο του φιδιού *σσσυρίζζει και *φιδογυρίζζει.

Last edited:

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Είπα να το βάλω εδώ λόγω τίτλου στο CNN.com:

Peak performance: The man who runs across mountains

(CNN)When presented with the challenge of crossing five alpine peaks, most people would probably choose to fly. Andreas Steindl wasn't one of them -- he ran.

Earlier this month, the 26-year-old athlete covered more than 30 treacherous kilometers from Zermatt to Saas Fee, Switzerland, on foot.

On the way, he crossed five 4,000-meter peaks including the Dom, the highest mountain in Switzerland, in just seven and three-quarter hours. [...]

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/20/sport/andreas-steindl-alps-mountain-run/

daeman

Administrator
Staff member

+ σχόλια από κάτω:

—You could hear Jimmy Page Robert Plant while Roger Waters.

—Did Richard Wright this?

—With Hugo Weaving?

—Wouldn't Stevie Wonder?

—Brian May be there...

—And Tom Waits.

—Tom Waits while Jeremy Irons:

Planters will plant, Waterers will water, punsters will pun.

As for me: Will Smith words for cash. :whistle:

Codaeman: Ο εν Δαεμάνω Δαεμάνος.
Daeman was about to do it, but Codaeman opposed a decisive veto claiming chairmanship of the meeting.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Codaeman: Ο εν Δαεμάνω Δαεμάνος.
Daeman was about to do it, but Codaeman opposed a decisive veto claiming chairmanship of the meeting.

Once a CodeMan, always a code man. It's just that lately I'm intrigued by decoding. Both of me, that is, although frequently one of me is coding while the other me is decoding. Multiplicity, out of phase perhaps, but a functional composite of opposites. :-)

code monkey: An affectionate term for a specific kind of underpaid, overworked (often by volition), increasingly underappreciated indentured servant, otherwise known as a Software Programmer.

Monkey see, monkey do, while the inner, non-indentured monkey sneers and monkeys around.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Θαυμάσια συλλογή. Τα περισσότερα δεν τα είχα ξανακούσει. Για την ακρίβεια, ακόμη δεν έχω ακούσει κανένα, αλλά δύο τα είχα διαβάσει παλιότερα. :-)