Ήρθατε τόσο δρόμο και να μη μπείτε να σας κάνω ένα καφέ!

Two sailors have come late at night to a village in Cyprus to see a mother to bring her news of her son (who is also in the navy & a friend of theirs). The mother bids them come in with the above words. It is pretty clear that she means something like 'you have come all this way & the least I can do is make you a cup of coffee'. Is it literally 'and shouldn't you come in for me to make you a cup of coffee'? To me it is an unnatural idiom but clearly not so in Greek. Can someone explain the anatomy of this idiom--it's two of those words (να μη) that I find tricky.:confused:

Think of it as "after you came all this way to not come in so I can (at least) make you a coffee would be a shame/unthinkable/out of the question ". Does this help?
The last part is implied/is the answer to the question she is posing.

Thanks, Irini! Excellent explanation. As I have said, these linguistic particles are the ones that can cause most confusion.
(Good luck in the US presidential elections: the excitement has been very much in evidence here. We all hope that the successful candidate would tackle the massive issues that face civilised countries with foresight & sensitivity. To me at any rate, the environment & global warming are paramount among them.)

It's the same Greek syntax as να ζει κανείς ή να μη ζει; , if that helps. to be or not to be - "not to have a cup of coffee", roughly

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
... There seem to be many translations into demotic Greek of this speech from Hamlet. If you don't already know of these various renderings, see:- http://www.lifo.gr/articles/theater_articles/99509.

To be, or not to be, that is the question

Thanks, Theseus. That thread was missing a much sought fiber, the Cacoyannis translation, which I'm adding there presently along with the rest that we didn't have until now, to nicely round that thread-cum-rope.
Κόκκινη κλωστή δεμένη, στου Αμλέτου τυλιγμένη το λαιμό.