metafrasi banner

To calculate vs to guesstimate/guestimate

cosmasad

Good morning friends,

The verb in Greek for "calculate" seems like it is "λογαριάσω" and, maybe, "υπολογίσω". Does one of them have the connotation of "Estimate"? For example, if you want to say "I will calculate what my expenses are this month" meaning that you will add up precise figures and get a precise result vs. "I will estimate what this job will cost" meaning that you don't have precise figures yet and can only guess at the result? Which Greek word would you use where, please?

Thank you.

Cosmas

Hello, Cosmas,

"I will calculate what my expenses are this month"
Θα υπολογίσω τα έξοδα του μήνα/Θα υπολογίσω πόσο είναι τα έξοδά μου αυτό τον μήνα
Θα λογαριάσω τα έξοδα του μήνα/Θα λογαριάσω πόσο είναι τα έξοδά μου αυτό τον μήνα

"I will estimate what this job will cost"
Θα υπολογίσω πόσο περίπου θα κοστίσει αυτή η δουλειά
Θα κάνω μια εκτίμηση για το κόστος της δουλειάς/Θα κάνω μια εκτίμηση πόσο περίπου θα κοστίσει η δουλειά.

The verb "λογαριάζω" is more explicitly connected to precise numbers according to the dictionary, but I think both verbs can be used in both cases, although it doesn't come easy to me right now to use "λογαριάζω" in the second example. :) I think that it is the context that shows whether we are refering to precise numbers or not.

λογαριάζω [loγarjázo] -ομαι Ρ2.1 : 1. υπολογίζω, μετρώ, κάνω αριθμητικές πράξεις, περιλαμβάνω κτ. σε έναν υπολογισμό: Aυτό το ταξίδι στοίχισε πενήντα χιλιάδες, χωρίς να λογαριάσουμε τα μεταφορικά. Οι μισθοί του προσωπικού λογαριάζονται στα έξοδα της επιχείρησης.