metafrasi banner

single (for emphasis) = [δεν μεταφράζεται]

pontios

(My final thoughts. I hope I'm not overdoing it here. I concentrate on 1 or 2 threads per month, sorry. ... anyway, nickel has posted 9 times, and this is my 4th). :)
... "the single-most important ingredient" is like saying salt is the ingredient that is truly important, here.
It is uniquely important (implying that the other ingredients may be important, but they pale in comparison)?

Last edited:

cougr

¥
I wouldn't be over-analysing it or trying to find any underlying connotations. It's a set expression where as previously pointed out, the "single" is simply an emphasis thing, where the emphasis is perhaps more readily conveyed when spoken - via intonation and/or hand gesturing.

pontios

I can see both sides, cougr.

Why emphasise further with intonation and hand gesture when you are already at "most"?

Wouldn't that be as needless as the word "single"?

cougr

¥
It's just an observation that the term "single" in such phrases is often stressed with a rising intonation, which serves to provide extra oomph and to further emphasize the superlativeness (I think that's a word) of that which is being expressed.

Last edited:

pontios

But, in the salt example "single" may serve to emphasise that salt is the standout flavour enhancer, not just the most important, if this makes any sense.

Being the single most important may emphasise that nothing else comes close to salt, as a flavour enhancer.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Σας παρακαλώ όλους, αλλά ιδιαίτερα εσένα pontie, να ξεκινάτε δικά σας νήματα με δικές σας παρατηρήσεις ή απορίες (και τα έχουμε ανάγκη τα φρέσκα νήματα), και να μην τεντώνετε τα άλλα νήματα πέρα από το όριο της υπομονής ή της αντοχής των αναγνωστών. Δεν είναι σωστό να αφιερώνουμε όλο τον χρόνο μας στα φόρουμ και στα ΜΚΔ. Θέλω να αρχίσω να γράφω για τα βιβλία που διάβασα τελευταία, που είναι πολύ πιο ενδιαφέροντα από το να ξεσκίζουμε το single.

Δεν μου αρέσει που συνεχίζω, γιατί, όπως λέει ο nickel, δεν χρειάζεται ίσως τόση ανάλυση. Εξάλλου, προσωπικά με κάλυψε η πρώτη απάντηση, πως είναι καλύτερο να το αφήσουμε αμετάφραστο.
Επισημαίνω, όμως, πως κάποια στιγμή (από νωρίς) η συζήτηση μεταφέρθηκε από το the greatest single focus στο the single greatest focus. Ίσως επειδή εκεί οδηγούν τα παραδείγματα των λεξικών.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
κάποια στιγμή (από νωρίς) η συζήτηση μεταφέρθηκε από το the greatest single focus στο the single greatest focus. Ίσως επειδή εκεί οδηγούν τα παραδείγματα των λεξικών.
Έχεις δίκιο, αλλά, ας πούμε, είναι πολλές χιλιάδες τα ευρήματα για "the single greatest achievement" και ίσως ακόμα περισσότερα για "the greatest single achievement", αλλά θεωρώ ότι η σημασία είναι ίδια στα αγγλικά και ίδια η αντιμετώπιση στην απόδοσή τους.