metafrasi banner

polyiodide

CoastalFog

Danke, Doc.
And no, that message is not useless at all
(a) it provides a link to an existing translation from an otherwise authoritative source, and
(b) it warns translators not to take Eur-Lex results at face value

So, I do stand by my rendition.
Well, you shouldn't: basic chemistry and common sense tell us that an anion-exchange resin exchanges anions, i.e. one type of anion for another. Your suggestion, however, would imply a resin that only exchanges polyiodide anions and would therefore be useless! Google searches are not the be-all and end-all of translation.

CoastalFog

Your suggestion, however, would imply a resin that only exchanges polyiodide anions and would therefore be useless!

Are you sure? Because that's exactly how this resin works.

According to Rohm & Haas:
Each ion going into the [resin] bead has to be replaced by an ion getting out of the bead, again to preserve electrical neutrality. This is what is called ion exchange. Only ions of the same electric sign are exchanged.

Undisturbed, ions are always ions. Disturb their charge equilibrium and they'll turn into either anions or cations, (i.e., negative- or positive charged ions respectively).

Furthermore, anions & cations are not UFOs. They have specific names and sizes.
This thread discusses Iodide, the largest anion of its kind. But I've already documented my facts through wikipedia links, and see no reason to repeat myself.

By now, Mrs B, who started this thread, must probably feel sorry she asked! ;-)
That's OK, Mrs B. You can always skip counterproductive posts and focus on those that provide practical answers to your questions.

You missed the point: polyiodide does not specify the anions, it specifies the resin. Perhaps it's pointless, but let me try to clarify for you: your suggestion of "ρητίνη ανταλλαγής πολυϊωδιούχων ανιόντων" means that this resin exchanges one polyiodide anion for another, also polyiodide, anion. This would have no practical use, as I said before. What these resins actually do is to withhold other anions from a solution and instead release polyiodide moieties that are present in the resin to begin with. Therefore, polyiodide actually specifies the resin and not the ions, which vary depending on the application. There are quite a few articles on the Web about the use of such resins for water disinfection, through release of iodine.

CoastalFog

Gee, you stayed up until 3am your time, just to prove your point?
Well, you did, and for that alone you deserve many thanks. ;-)

Now, try to catch some z's, dude!
Your health matters more to me and the rest of us.

Alexandra

Super Moderator
Staff member
...polyiodide does not specify the anions, it specifies the resin.
Πολύ καλά τα λες, dharvatis. Είναι αυτονόητο ότι μόνο ιόντα ίδιου προσήμου μπορούν να ανταλλαχθούν, δηλαδή θετικά με θετικά και αρνητικά με αρνητικά, αλλά τι νόημα θα είχε να φτιάξεις μια ρητίνη που ανταλλάσσει πολυϊωδιούχα με πολυϊωδιούχα; Αυτό θα σήμαινε ότι το νερό που θέλουμε να απολυμάνουμε περιέχει ήδη πολυϊωδιούχα και η συγκεκριμένη ρητίνη είναι άχρηστη σε όλες τις άλλες περιπτώσεις.

Όπως έχω διαπιστώσει μετά από 20+ χρόνια στη μετάφραση, όταν μεταφράζεις επιστημονικό κείμενο, είναι απαραίτητο να κατανοείς καλά το αντικείμενο ή τουλάχιστον να επιδιώξεις ταχύρυθμο μάθημα κατανόησης του αντικειμένου, επειδή ακόμα και η τοποθέτηση ενός επιθέτου αλλάζει το νόημα και μετατρέπει τη μετάφραση από σωστή και ρεαλιστική σε εξωπραγματική. Αλλά γι' αυτό υπάρχουν τα φόρουμ των μεταφραστών.

Και μια ιστορία αναμνήσεων, για όσους δεν την έχουν ξανακούσει: Πριν από πολλά χρόνια, ένας συνάδελφος χημικός είχε αποφασίσει να μεταφράσει ένα βιβλίο Χημείας κολεγιακού επιπέδου για να το πουλήσει στην ελληνική αγορά. Ο ίδιος δεν είχε τις απαραίτητες γνώσεις αγγλικών και το ανέθεσε στον γιο του, αριστούχο φοιτητή Οδοντιατρικής, ο οποίος είχε πάρει προφίσιενσι.
Βέβαια: 1) Το ότι κάποιος έχει πάρει κάποτε άριστα στις εισαγωγικές της Οδοντιατρικής δεν σημαίνει ότι μερικά χρόνια μετά θυμάται τόσο καλά τη Χημεία. 2) Όπως πολύ καλά γνωρίζουμε σ' αυτό το φόρουμ, το ότι κάποιος έχει πάρει προφίσιενσι δεν τον κάνει ικανό να μεταφράζει.
Μετά από δυο κεφάλαια ο νεαρός τα παράτησε και τότε ο πατέρας, ξέροντας ότι εγώ κάνω και μεταφράσεις παράλληλα με τη διδασκαλία, με πλησίασε και μου ζήτησε να αναλάβω το υπόλοιπο βιβλίο, αφού χτενίσω τα δύο κεφάλαια που είχε μεταφράσει ο γιος του. Σ' αυτά τα δύο κεφάλαια ανακάλυψα λανθασμένες μεταφράσεις που έγραφαν ακριβώς το αντίθετο από αυτό που εννοούσε το πρωτότυπο, και που ακόμα κι αν περνούσαν από επιμέλεια, μόνο αν ο επιμελητής ήταν χημικός θα μπορούσε να πιάσει τα λάθη.

Gee, you stayed up until 3am your time, just to prove your point?
Well, you did, and for that alone you deserve many thanks. ;-)

Now, try to catch some z's, dude!
Your health matters more to me and the rest of us.

You obviously don't know the normal working hours of a freelance translator :-) :-)