metafrasi banner

no offensive exuberance of good health

pontios

I just assumed it's about a young and healthy lady. So, the thought of ill health didn't jump out at me, I must admit.
(And even if I found the book, I couldn't imagine reading or even skimming through it to page 80).
:oops:

Last edited:

cougr

¥
You gave the right suggestion #2 then - and you should have said something much earlier.
Given the clearer perspective we now have and given the fact that Chesterton himself was plagued by depression*, it's not about any display of exuberant behaviour or the flaunting of good health that he is referring to but rather the state of exuberant health itself, which in his view, is both defiling and offensive. In which case anep's rendering at #3 "απαλλαγμένη από κάθε οχληρή πληθωρικότητα υγείας" comes closest to being correct. Perhaps it could do with some minor tweaking.

Edit: * Now I understand where he's coming from.

Last edited:

pontios

She's not defiled with/tainted by a "sickly amount" of good health = She's defiled with no "sickly amount" of good health. :-)

(where "sickly amount" = " offensive exuberance")

Last edited:

pontios

She's not defiled with/tainted by a "sickly amount" of good health = She's defiled with no "sickly amount" of good health. :-)

(where "sickly amount" = " offensive exuberance")
.... and where "sickly amount" = "sickening amount" (="nauseating amount").

Last edited: