metafrasi banner

I cotton to = επιδοκιμάζω, συμφωνώ, ανέχομαι

Earion

Staff member
Έμαθα ένα καινούργιο αγγλικό ρήμα (και θα σας πω μετά πώς έφτασα σε αυτό):

to cotton to : to like, to approve of, to accept, or tolerate.
Παράδειγμα χρήσης : He tried sneaking it past them, but they didn't cotton to his attempts. (Wiktionary)

Και το αντίθετό του I don't cotton

What does I don’t cotton mean?

It means “I don’t approve of that” or “I don’t accept that”. The expression “cotton to” originated with textiles. When a fibre “cottoned” that meant it blended well with other fibres to produce useful fabrics such as, say, cotton-wool blends.

Εκτεταμένο σημείωμα του Michael Quinion εδώ:

By the 1920s, cotton on had developed the last of the meanings that you mention, of coming to understand some matter. It’s not too surprising — if you can cotton on to a person, you can equally cotton on to an idea. The best clue I’ve found to its origin is in a glossary of English army slang used in World War One, published in Notes and Queries in December 1921. This included cotton on (to) in the sense “to understand”.

Ώστε I don't cotton : από το "δεν μ' αρέσει", "δεν το δέχομαι" (I don’t approve of that, or I don’t accept that) στο "δεν το καταλαβαίνω, δεν το πιάνω"

Θα έπρεπε βέβαια να συμβουλευτώ πρώτα πρώτα Λεξιλογία:

I don't agree with another person who does not have a deep enough conviction within their own core to set the example. If folks had the guts to tie their vision for the rest of the world by acting upon their beliefs then that would be a different situation. They prefer that we follow their dead-end utopian fantasy spasm, and that is not something I cotton to. (Ζάζουλας)​

Και σε άλλη ανάρτηση η πολύ λακωνική φράση που αφορά τα καρτούν Σίμψονς: PUBLIC COTTONS TO SIMPSON'S SHIRTS, δηλαδή το κοινό γουστάρει τα τισερτάκια των Σίμψονς.

Από πού ξεκίνησα; Πού το βρήκα; Γιατί το σκάλισα;

Στον Τροπικό του Αιγόκερω λέει ο Χένρυ Μίλλερ:

You meet a friend on the street by chance, one whom you haven't seen for several weeks, and he has become an absolute stranger to you. You give him a few signals from your new perch and if he doesn't cotton you pass him up —for good.

Ελληνική μετάφραση, πολυδιαβασμένη επί δεκαετίες (Βαγγέλης Κατσάνης, Εκδόσεις Μπουκουμάνη και Σ. Ι. Ζαχαρόπουλου):

Συναντάς τυχαία στο δρόμο σου κάποιον φίλο που ’χεις να τον δεις κάμποσες βδομάδες, που ’χε καταντήσει να ’ναι ολότελα ξένος για σένα. Του εκτοξεύεις μερικά σημάδια απ’ το καινούργιο σου κοτέτσι στο οποίο έχεις εγκατασταθεί, κι αν δε σε καταλάβει τον αποχαιρετάς —για τα καλά.

Υπάρχει και νεότερη μετάφραση (Γιώργος Ίκαρος Μπαμπασάκης, Εκδόσεις Μεταίχμιο) που εύχομαι να μην εκτοξεύει κουτσουλιές από το κοτέτσι.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Λίγο πιγκουινάκι:
cotton on to συμπαθώ, δείχνω προτίμηση | αντιλαμβάνομαι, κατανοώ, αποδέχομαι, προσκολλώμαι (σε ιδέα) | cotton up to πιάνω φιλίες με.