metafrasi banner

consequential laughter

Πώς θα μεταφράζατε το "(non) consequential laughter" εδώ;

...that emphasized a distinction between laughter perceived as friendly and non-consequential, i.e., not injurious to the reputation of anyone, and laughter seen as abusive, hostile, or belittling, and so deleterious to the reputation of the target. (εδώ)

χωρίς επακόλουθες συνέπειες
Σας ευχαριστώ όλους για τις ιδέες. Κάτι προς αυτή την κατεύθυνση προσπαθούσα να βρω, κάτι που να περιέχει τη λέξη "συνέπειες" ή να βγαίνει από αυτήν.

consequential laughter - non consequential laughter - το γέλιο που έχει επακόλουθες συνέπειες - το γ. που δεν έχει επακόλουθες συνέπειες.

Θα βοηθούσε αν είχαμε μονολεκτική απόδοση, αλλά μάλλον πάλι δεν έχουμε. :)

(ένας φίλος εντόπισε τη χρήση αυτής της λέξης - πώς σας φαίνεται; Εμένα μου φαίνεται ότι δε θέλω να την επαναλάβω :) )

pontios

consequential laughter - non consequential laughter - το γέλιο που έχει επακόλουθες συνέπειες -
ρυτίδες; ;-)

strange phrase
consequential laughter ... η φράση κανονικά θα έπρεπε να σημαίνει ότι το ιδιο το γέλιο επακολουθεί ως συνέπεια.

(a phrase like "inappropriate laughter" "appropriate laughter" or similar you could make immediate sense of
or let's say "laughter with negative/positive consequences" that would be fine).

Last edited:
ρυτίδες; ;-)
:)
Όχι - αρνητικές συνέπειες για τον στόχο του γέλιου, όπως συνάγεται από τα συγεκριμένα συμφραζόμενα που δίνω στο πρώτο ποστ.

cougr

¥
Ίσως κάνει και το "επακόλουθα", έτσι σκέτο.

Γέλιο με επακόλουθα/δίχως~

pontios

Δεν θέλω να το υπεραναλύσω .... αλλά το "consequential laughter" = το γέλιο που έχει "επακόλουθες συνέπειες", δεν με κάθεται καθόλου καλά.

το "non-consequential" εδώ = trivial, something that is lightweight, something that is superficial and therefore can be taken at face value - you don't need to look any deeper.

και το "consequential" = something that is serious or something that should be taken seriously, something that is weighty, something that has depth to it.

So, "non-consequential laughter" = frivolous, playful, joyful laughter.
"consequential laughter" = laughter that has a serious side to it, that might have a hidden motive.

pontios

(I meant the person who's laughing might have a hidden motive, ill intent .... they might be mocking you, etc.., i.e., there is or there might be more to that laughter than is immediately apparent)

Last edited:
Το γέλιο σου δεν είν’ κακό
το βλέπω στη θωριά σου
δεν είναι συνεπειακό
να μην πονεί η καρδιά σου

pontios

το non-consequential laughter είναι το "μη επακόλουθο γέλιο";
και το consequential laughter το "επακόλουθο γέλιο";

Το μη επακόλουθο γέλιο αναφέρεται στα προφανή και "άμεσα" αστεία.
πχ, αστεία περι σωματικά ελαττώματα. Υπάρχει μια άμεση κατανόηση χωρίς εκπλήξεις

Ενώ το επακόλουθο γέλιο είναι το χιούμορ που π.χ., χρησιμοποιεί λέξεις με διπλό νόημα και βασίζεται στη πονηριά και σ'ένα ακροατήριο που μπορεί να αποκρυπτογραφήσει τις συνδηλώσεις και το κωμική στήσιμο που αναπτύσσεται για να "πιάσει" το ζουμί του αστείου (Punchline) και γενικά το χιούμορ.
There's a process here ... recognising the joke ... it's indirect and hence consequential laughter (you need to recognise the jokes and connotations to derive the laughter) ... γελιο που ακολουθει/επακολουθεί.

Last edited:

cougr

¥
Pontios, you're unduly complicating the matter. Ignoring the first paragraph, you were kind of on the right track with your earlier post #9.

In the case provided by antongoun, the term "consequential" (or its negative) refers to how laughter is perceived by the target of the laughter and as such is a reference to the consequences ( or lack thereof) induced on the target of the laughter.

pontios

cougr ...
Regardless of how the laughter is intended (to come across), ultimately it is always going to be about how it is subjectively received and perceived.
Moreover, in the example given of Conon who is being prosecuted for assault, the expectation or prediction was that he (Conon) would explain away and excuse his actions as an innocent joke. Such is the "slipperiness" of laughter and its resistance to universalising definitions.

"Consequential laughter" (my post #14) relates to satire where the ensuing laughter is always belittling and/or deleterious to the reputation of the target (once the satire and the joke has been recognised/perceived).
There is always a process involved to recognise the satire/the source of the laughter (by the audience) and perception always comes into play.
It is not straightforward. There is always ill intent.

Whereas, with non-consequential laughter, the jokes are simple, obvious and readily understood. They can be taken at face value.

Whether Conon's actions are determined/adjudicated to be an innocent joke or a persecutable offence is similarly about perception, and with the "slipperiness" of laughter in mind.

So, I stand by what I said in #14, which largely applies to satire ... and it's where I've seen the term being used.

Last edited:

pontios

Actually, cougr ... I think I was on the wrong track, I just saw the definition explained elsewhere (and I'd like to admit when I'm wrong):

"Ultimately, I argue this laughter was what Stephen Halliwell calls “consequential” – that is, it had the consequence of bringing pain, shame, or harm on its target beyond the laughter’s immediate context [3]"

I didn't like the term "consequential laughter" ... to me it should mean laughter that ensues as a consequence of something and that led me down the wrong path.

If a kind monitor/moderator can delete my posts #14 and onwards ...