χωρίς να προηγηθεί απολύτως τίποτε (Χ. Πέτρου)

This next passage is, I think, when the police presence was being made more evident in Athens with the arrival of a new Chief of Police, διευθυντής αστυνομίας :
Σ' αυτήν την εποχή
, ακριβώς από αυτές τις σκάλες του υπογείου που είναι μπροστά στο ξενοδοχείο Ομόνοια, παρακολούθησα κι εγώ ένα βραδάκι μια τέτοια επιδρομή.
Part of his way to show he is efficient to the Athenian public is the sentence in the heading.
χωρίς να προηγηθεί απολύτως τίποτε--I don't understand the last two words (so much as an inch?).
The author of the piece, who is watching the police raid, asks himself, as the police rush out of their vans, if they will be arrested as part of the raid: πάει πια, θα μας μπαγλαρώσουν. I seem to have asked this question before, but I remember vaguely that πάει πια means "if it goes on like this, they'll arrest us."
The piece ends with telling us that the new police force was unarmed, the police force of the democracy, a group of pale-faced, unarmed weedy youngsters, exercising their ήπια, σχεδόν καχεκτική εμφάνιση.
The snippets in bold are my main threads for comments.:up:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
απολύτως τίποτε = absolutely nothing > without anything (any incident? any indication?) preceding that (raid?)

πάει πια = it's gone > it's done > that's it / wer'e done, they'll arrest us

Σ' αυτήν την εποχή, ακριβώς από αυτές τις σκάλες > During / At that time, from these very steps

Thanks, 'Man. 'Without any indication preceding that raid' fits the context exactly. Your other two suggestions also make admirable sense.