τρέχα γύρευε = go figure | good luck (doing sth) | who knows, goodness knows

pontios

On the contrary, pontios. Much of the time it's used to imply indifference in or the pointlessness of trying to work something out etc. Or that it isn't feasible to do so.

Λεξικό Τριανταφυλλίδη:
ΦΡ: τρέχα γύρευε, για να δηλώσουμε την αδιαφορία μας για κτ. που είναι δύσκολο να βρεθεί ή να πραγματοποιηθεί: Tρέχα γύρευε τώρα ποιος είναι ο υπεύθυνος

ΧΛΝΕΓ:
τρέχα γύρευε: για κάτι άσκοπο ή που δύσκολα βρίσκεται ή επιτυγχάνεται: ~ ~ τώρα ποιος έκανε τη ζημιά! Πβ. τι ψάχνεις τώρα (from #9 above)
My last post, I promise.

Even if τρέχα γύρευε is being used to imply indifference (in the instances you mentioned), am I wrong in still sensing/hearing action, even if this action is denied (being entered into) because it's perceived to be a waste of time/effort?
Tρέχα γύρευε τώρα ποιος είναι ο υπεύθυνος /τρέχα γύρευε τώρα ποιος έκανε τη ζημιά! ... is like saying (this is what I'm hearing, anyway) - "as if I'm going to be chasing my tail now trying to figure out who's responsible", "as if I'm going to run around in circles now trying to work out who caused the damage."

There's still action there (that I can't see the point of entering into). No?

Last edited:

cougr

¥
Maybe. Τρέχα γύρευε τώρα να βρεις άκρη.😊

Given that the phrase "τρέχα γύρευε" is comprised of two verbs and on face value comes across as an Imperative statement, the inclination to "hear" action and to interpret it in ways similar to the way you have above is understandable but perhaps you're over-analyzing it. By and large, if you go over some of the translations canvassed in this thread and the terms suggested as translations in the thread title above, you'll note that in most cases the various nuances of "τρέχα γύρευε" don't carry any connotation of action as such nor are its various interpretations deducible from the literal meaning of the words comprising the phrase.

My last post, I promise.
I'll be holding you to that.:-)

Last edited:

cougr

¥
PS: I've just had a second read of your post (#21) which if I've understood correctly this time, by "action" you mean a "negation of action" or "refraining from action" etc. in which case your line of thinking would be correct in some cases.

Last edited:

pontios

We seem to be at cross purposes for some reason? We're probably on the same page? Go figure.
And I do comprehend the subtleties.

Maybe nickel can kindly provide an area where we can thresh out our differences, from time to time, so that we don't end up hijacking threads?