αυτοδυναμία = outright control, single-party majority, governing majority, (απόλυτη πλειοψηφία) full majority, absolute majority

Σε εκλογικά συμφραζόμενα βεβαίως. Νομίζω πως στα αγγλικά δεν υπάρχει μονολεκτικός όρος -ή κάνω λάθος;
Absolute majority και τέτοια;

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Βρίσκω και κάτι one-party majority για το κοινοβούλιο της Νέας Ζηλανδίας.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Άντε και single-party majority. Σε δύο λεξικά βρήκα self-reliance, αλλά μάλλον έκαναν λάθος.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Πώς αναφέρονται οι ξένοι στην αυτοδυναμία:

It is unclear whether Syriza has enough votes to govern the country alone.
Update:
The party is projected to win about 150 seats, just one short of an absolute majority, though officials say that number could change.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30975437

If Syriza is able to secure more than 150 seats on its own, it won’t need coalition partners and will have a freer hand in implementing its program
http://www.wsj.com/articles/syriza-poised-for-victory-in-greek-election-1422168982?tesla=y

with a chance of winning a full majority
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/25/us-greece-election-idUSKBN0KY00520150125

Προς το παρόν, κερδίζουν τα full majority, absolute majority (απόλυτη πλειοψηφία).

cougr

¥
Το Wall Street Journal ξέρει καλύτερα!:D

Votes were being tallied into the night, but a government projection gave about half the seats in Parliament to the opposition party Syriza, with a chance it could have outright control.

cougr

¥
Χρήσιμες είναι και οι διάφορες εκφράσεις με τις συνάψεις to govern alone / to govern outright.

Π.χ. ability/mandate/support/right/enough seats/votes to govern alone/outright.

pontios

Σε εκλογικά συμφραζόμενα βεβαίως. Νομίζω πως στα αγγλικά δεν υπάρχει μονολεκτικός όρος -ή κάνω λάθος;
Absolute majority και τέτοια;

Για μονολεκτικό όρο, γιατί όχι το majority, σκέτο;

Greece's Syriza did not quite achieve majority. It fell 1 seat short of majority. It sounds fine to me.

pontios

Για να μην μπερδευόμαστε με το simple majority, θα έλεγα.

It's an important distinction, nickel.

However, re: the single term "majority, wherever it's being used; I think we can safely assume that it would be referring to (or even be short for) "majority government", or "majority government status" - and not to "simple majority". So there shouldn't be any confusion.
Not many (outside of the USA, say) would understand the term "simple majority", to be able to make the distinction you've made.
So, if there's no explanation given in a newspaper article regarding the single term (majority) being used, it could only be referring to majority government. It would be logical to assume that.

..and given that -
"a majority government is a government formed by a governing party that has an absolute majority of seats in the legislature or parliament in a parliamentary system" - it (majority) is therefore synonymous with absolute majority.

q.e.d. ;)

Maybe it's the single term that sarant was after?

cougr

¥
.....Not many (outside of the USA, say) would understand the term "simple majority", to be able to make the distinction you've made......

This notwithstanding, the term "majority" used on it's own (as per your examples in #8, for instance) is too broad a term that unless further qualified or clarified can lead to ambivalence regarding its meaning. Even in the right context (eg. government elections) it wouldn't necessarily or even largely be connected to the notion of majority government.

Άλλο το majority κι άλλο το full/absolute/outright majority Q.E.D ;)

pontios

I'm not arguing its merits, cougr, I just brought it up as a possible and acceptable single term equivalent, that's all - in response to the original post by sarant.

If you google search "achieve a majority" you'll find plenty of results, and in all instances I've come across it is clear that "majority" always refers to (and is short for) "majority government" - when it applies to a party (or government) hoping to achieve an "absolute majority", in this instance.

Semantically, by the way, what is the difference between:
Syriza aims for/hopes to achieve (a) majority in the upcoming election
or..
party X aims for/hopes to achieve (a) single-party majority.
Isn't Syriza a single party?

By the same token, what should the word "majority" of "single-party "majority" connote? Doesn't the majority that I'm referring to mean exactly the same thing (as the "majority" of "single-party majority")? Shouldn't it mean the same thing (majority government in both instances)?

majority = majority
Syriza = single party

Again, I'm just talking about an acceptable single word term, that's all.

cougr

¥
It'd be easier if I just referred you back to post#9 but I'll have one last crack at explaining it.

As you are no doubt aware and as has been previously pointed out, the term "majority", when used politically or in the context of electoral systems, can denote different concepts and convey different meanings.

In the case of the query you put forth, the difference in meaning of the two sentences is this:

In the case where a party is hoping for a "single-party majority" implies that they are hoping to achieve more than half the overall seats in which case they would have the mandate to rule outright as a single party.

In the case where they are hoping to achieve a "majority", could imply the above, however, due to the way that the term "majority" is bandied about by the media and others (see, for example, link in my above post), could also be interpreted to mean that they are hoping to at least win the most seats of any competing party even if this meant winning less than half and that they would be required to seek a coalition partner or to rule as a minority government. The latter interpretation being more likely in a situation where you have, for example, all the polls and pundits predicting that they've got no chance of winning outright (ie. more than half the seats) but are still in the race for a lesser win.

pontios

In the case where they are hoping to achieve a "majority", ... could also be interpreted to mean that they are hoping to at least win the most seats of any competing party even if this meant winning less than half and that they would be required to seek a coalition partner or to rule as a minority government. The latter interpretation being more likely in a situation where you have, for example, all the polls and pundits predicting that they've got no chance of winning outright (ie. more than half the seats) but are still in the race for a lesser win.

Apologies for all the toing and froing. Again, I emphasise I only brought it up as a possible and perhaps acceptable single-word term, in response to the OP.
I'm not advocating that it should be used instead/ahead of the other terms, of course. The point is, however, the term is being used widely - the abundance of google results clearly attest to that.

In the political context.

What you've described is a minority government, whereas the term is "majority" (which in all likelihood is short for/ synonymous with any or all of "governing majority", "absolute majority", etc., - take your pick).

We are not talking about a party merely winning the election, by gaining more seats relative to individual rival parties - that's not a big deal. The article would just read, "Syriza or party X hopes to win the election". Ho hum. In Syriza's case, that would have been aiming very low given the pre-election polls (I'm referring to Syriza as it's topical).
So the question with Syriza was, will it win the necessary number of seats that will allow it to govern in its own right, will it reach "majority"? Majority here is a status, a governing majority, a majority government. That's the crux of it.

That's what achieving/winning a majority means for political parties in elections, it's about reaching a majority government, this status, and that's how it's being used in newspapers etc. That's what it's all about, the ultimate prize is having outright control, not just winning the election.

So, the article writers have this array to choose from: single-party/full/ absolute/governing/etc.majority , but they'll often just choose the single term "majority" instead, which they obviously view as being synonymous with the above terms. They must expect their readers to readily understand it this way, too?
Maybe we need to check that this is indeed what they want to convey with the single term, now and again. But for the most part, I'm satisfied that it is.

cougr

¥
Pontios, this is what I'm talking about:

His radical left-wing party, Syriza, won a majority in Sunday's general election, and he is threatening to renege on at least half of the 240 billion...(.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...Che-Guevara-is-planning-Europes-downfall.html)

The euro dropped briefly to an 11 year low against the dollar as the radical left-wing party Syriza won a majority in Greece's national elections. (http://www.treasuryinsider.com/2015...t-as-anti-austerity-party-triumphs-in-greece/)

Syriza win a majority but cannot form a government: This would likely trigger another election. Although initially the
market may not like the political uncertainty in Greece, it could give centre-right New Democracy a chance to win a second
round election, like it did in 2012.
(http://www.forex.com/au/pdf/greek-election-report.pdf)

Hence the importance of a qualifier or other clarifying information where you want the term to unequivocally denote "αυτοδυναμία".

I could have provided hundreds of similar examples and not just pertaining to Syriza, but I think you get the drift.

pontios

Syriza almost reached a majority, fell 2 seats shy of it - I guess for all intents and purposes it did - it only needs a deal with 2 independents.
So either the article writer you're referring to does not have a complete grasp of the term (which I doubt), or, more likely, he's/she's prone to exaggerating for effect - not unusual for journalists.

I can pull up many more instances where "majority" (achieving it, winning it or just missing out on it) is used correctly.

Here's one of many used correctly.

Greece’s Syriza looks to form coalition after falling just shy of majority
http://news.lokalee.com/greeces-syriza-looks-to-form-coalition-after-falling-just-shy-of-majority/

An absolute majority, a full majority, a single-party majority, an overall majority is still a majority at the end of the day.
It refers to the same status.

I'm not trying to convince you, cougr - but I do see it as a legitimate single-term equivalent in the context of "win a majority/ achieve a majority etc.." where it's abundantly clear that it's referring to a "governing majority".

Some journalists may have figured out that the qualifiers are superfluous.
You can be fully pregnant, absolutely pregnant but at the end of the day you're still pregnant, as a crude analogy.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
I can pull up many more instances where "majority" (achieving it, winning it or just missing out on it) is used correctly.

Ο λόγος λοιπόν που είναι καλό να αποσαφηνίζεται η σημασία της λέξης με κάποιο επίθετο είναι γιατί δεν ξέρουμε αν αυτός που τη χρησιμοποιεί τη χρησιμοποιεί σωστά ή αν αυτός που τη διαβάζει τη διαβάζει σωστά. Είναι κάτι σαν τη λέξη ευάριθμος. :-)

pontios

Ο λόγος λοιπόν που είναι καλό να αποσαφηνίζεται η σημασία της λέξης με κάποιο επίθετο είναι γιατί δεν ξέρουμε αν αυτός που τη χρησιμοποιεί τη χρησιμοποιεί σωστά ή αν αυτός που τη διαβάζει τη διαβάζει σωστά. Είναι κάτι σαν τη λέξη ευάριθμος. :-)

But the point is, it is being used as a single-term equivalent to "αυτοδυναμία" (politically speaking) - we need to accept that. It is a fait accompli.

In the right context - it might be superfluous to choose absolute majority or take-your-pick majority over the simpler and more to the point "majority".
That would explain its abundant usage.

It's not about what I or you would choose, nickel and cougr - although, I don't have any problem with the single-word term (when it's abundantly clear that it's referring to a "governing majority"). ;)

By the way, "governing majority" should be on the title, IMHO - it's the status/condition that all these synonymous terms are alluding to.

pontios