αγκαλιά

Alexandra

Super Moderator
Staff member
Πώς θα αποδίδατε τη λέξη αγκαλιά στο παρακάτω κόντεξτ; "Hugs" ίσως; Ή κάτι καλύτερο;
Μου λείπει το χαμόγελό της, η γκρίνια της, η αγκαλιά της. Πώς μπορεί ένας άνθρωπος μια σταλιά να έχει τόσο μεγάλη αγκαλιά;

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Αφού δεν ήρθε ακόμα άλλος να το πει, ευχάριστο διάβασμα είναι και τα παραδείγματα με το a big embrace. Ιδίως όμως αυτό:
Like a favorite uncle, Texas has a big embrace.

Alexandra

Super Moderator
Staff member
Νομίζω ότι το such a big hug είναι κάτι στιγμιαίο, ενώ το νόημα εδώ είναι ότι αυτή αγκαλιάζει πάντα θερμά και εγκάρδια. Οπότε, αν έβαζα τη λέξη hug, μάλλον θα άλλαζα τη διατύπωση, θα έλεγα "she gives big hugs".

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Δεν θα το έλεγα με τη σημασία του ότι χωράει πολλούς. Νιώθω ότι έχει μόνο την έμφαση του ενός σφιχταγκαλιάσματος.

Alexandra

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aυτός που το λέει έχει κάπως ρομαντική και θλιμμένη διάθεση, ενώ το big hugger μού βγάζει πιο χιουμοριστική διατύπωση.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Όσα ξέρει ο νοικοκύρης (ο άμεσα ενδιαφερόμενος), δεν τα ξέρει ο κόσμος όλος.

Ναι, κάποια στιγμή θα το κάνω νήμα.

pontios

I wonder if embrace here is metaphorical for... "have a hold on "( me)... ie. an influence over me ?

Δηλαδή η αγκαλιά εδώ ίσως ισοδυναμεί με την "επιρροή" ; .. είναι σαν μια νοερή αγκαλιά ;

In other words how can a person so small have such a big hold (influence) on me ?

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't heard that metaphor in Greek, Χρήστο (but then again that doesn't amount to very much). Reading the first sentence doesn't give that impression either: Μου λείπει το χαμόγελό της, η γκρίνια της, η αγκαλιά της. Would someone miss her influence, her hold on him or her? If he misses her nagging, of course... But I think that embrace is to be wholeheartedly embraced here, the image is vivid of a woman slight in build but capable of a wide embrace.

Last edited by a moderator:

pontios

Perhaps you're right and I'm reading too much into it daeman ... on the other hand maybe time, loneliness and distance can forgive all, and you can end up missing the nagging too ?
Maybe that big hug is both metaphorical and actual ? .. in that he can't forget her big hug and she has a hold on him ( his fond memories of her) because of it ?

Jacquelineditor

By "no published authority" I meant that I did not consult any reference books--I replied off the top of my head. And since it's rather late to wish you Καλή χρονιά, happy Valentine's Day to you and V.!