Μην μου χάνεσαι

I don't get the point in this news report:-

Για άλλη μια φορά η Ελένη Μενεγάκη έφτιαξε το κέφι όσων την ακολουθούν στο twitter, καθώς ένα μικρό ορθογραφικό λαθάκι ήταν αρκετό για να γίνει «πιπεράτο» ένα φιλικό μήνυμα.

Η παρουσιάστρια ήθελε να στείλει μέσω twitter φιλιά στο φίλο της Νίκο Μουτσινά και έγραψε: «Νίκο μου, γλυκό μου αγόρι, πάλι πέρασα υπέροχα μαζί σου!! Μην μου χάνεσαι σε παρακαλώ! Μουτς μουτς πουτς!».

Όταν κατάλαβε το λάθος της, επανήλθε ζητώντας συγγνώμη: «Το μήνυμα για τον Μουτσινάκο ήταν φιλάκια!! Δηλαδή μουτσμουτς μουτς!! Συγνώμη. Από βιασύνη! Ξέρετε...».

Μάλλον ακολούθησε τρελό δούλεμα, γιατί λίγο αργότερα έγραψε: «Έλα ρε παιδιά, κόψτε την πλάκα! Κανένας από εσάς δεν κάνει λάθος;;».

Πηγή: Μενεγάκη: «Νίκο μου, ματς, μουτς...πουτς»! |

What mistake is she supposed to have made? :eek::wub::curse:

I can't find the Karaiskakis thread anywhere but is it the one with εγώ σ' αγαπούσα και εσύ μ' αγαπούτσες μπλε? Something to do with πούτσες? What does μη μου χάνεσαι mean?

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
I can't find the Karaiskakis thread anywhere but is it the one with εγώ σ' αγαπούσα και εσύ μ' αγαπούτσες μπλε? Something to do with πούτσες?

Γνωρίζω τον αίτιον, και αν ζήσω παίρνομεν όλοι το χάκι....

What does μη μου χάνεσαι mean?

Don't disappear without a trace i.e. Drop by, drop a line or call me sometime soon > Keep in touch.

To use a similar syntax in English: Don't you go missing on me. :-)

...What mistake is she supposed to have made?

She dick-smooched him instead of just smooching him. In other words, she mistook that πουτς for a μουτς.

Same difference
, for some.

"Sorry, my bad, said the hedgehog and climbed off the brush."

Or in Scottish:
Ach, we all make mistakes,” said Harry the Hedgehog as he climbed off the scrubbing brush. :p

κλας μάι πουτς! Isn't it strange that no language I know seeems to have an onomatopoeic word for the sound of a kiss. The English 'smacking of the mouth' is strange as is the dreadful mwah. The Greek σιγανό πλαταγισμα από γυναικεία χείλη is hardly translatable, apart from 'the soft sound of women's lips'. Ματς μουτς is not convincing either. See http://www.boredpanda.com/different-languages-sounds-posters-james-chapman/. No mouts pouts...Thankfully.:blush:

Maybe we English have to stick with the very recent 'mwah'. I don't like it but I suppose that does the trick for many: it's even used when you are greeting female guests for supper, not only between lovers. I might start using 'pouts' except among Greek friends. I'll soon be putting out milk now for my scrubbing brushes now --κακού καλού--as the Greeks say. Would you have to translate as το σιγανό πλατάγισμα από γυναικεία χείλη as 'the soft sound of women's lips' & let the sibilants and the -ps convey the meaning. It is a reasonably evocative translation. I first saw' mwah' written in about the mid-nineties for the first time. I've never done it myself - I'm not a 'mwah' type of person - but I think that nowadays an awful lot of people are.
It's an affectation & associated with a social elite - but most people it to a degree or another. What's unusual is to get the effect coming out as a word. Comments please.

pontios

What about a slurpy kiss? There's nothing put on/feigned about that (or subtle for that matter) - and it would register high on the onomatopoeic scale.

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
σιγανό πλαταγισμα από γυναικεία χείλη
Theseus, this sounds like a definition one may find in a poem, but not like something someone would actually say. And why "σιγανό" πλατάγιασμα? And why only "women's" lips?

Also, other languages do have onomatopeic words for the sound that kisses make: Italian, French and Portuguese come to mind (smack, smac, and smack respectively). I'm sure that other languages do have them as well, otherwise how would characters in comic strips kiss? :)

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Another Greek word for the kiss (used for example to soothe a little kid) is "μάκια". Although it's actually baby-talk, it is also a not-so-frequent visitor in lovers' lingo etc.

-- Πού χτύπησες μάτια μου;
-- Εδώ, στο δαχτυλάκι, μαμά.
-- Θα το κάνω μάκια, να περάσει.

It's English sound-alike is, I think, "smak":

Attachments

• 14520563_10211243630154342_4031985879745781668_n.jpg
    14520563_10211243630154342_4031985879745781668_n.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 260
Words have their associations & 'smack' is also used of the sound made when hitting somebody. For a list of many onomatopoeic sounds for a kiss throughout the world, see http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/sound-of-a-kiss.774124/. The σιγανό πλατάγισμα snippet above comes from a passage, where at the end of the day wives come down to the shore to meet their tired fishermen husbands:

Και τώρα ακόμη που αποτραβήχτηκε ο Μπατής, —πέρ’ από τον ορίζοντα, εκεί που πάει να ησυχάζει κάθε βραδυνό— απομείνει ένα σιγανό πλατάγισμα από γυναικεία χείλια στην ακρογιαλιά. Οι αργοπορημένοι ψαράδες μαζεύουμε τη μοίρα τους κι έτσι βαριοί και φορτωμένοι βγαίνουν απ’ την ψαρόβαρκα βουτώντας ως τα γόνατα μέσα στο χρυσοπράσινο νερό. Ποτέ ήταν που ξανάδε μια παρόμοια σκηνή;

Are they blowing kisses here? The men are still, it seems, not out of the boat yet. A semi-poetical but evocative scene. This is the context of the kiss. Incidentally, the Greek women I know give me a kiss on both cheeks, hence ματς μουτς fits the bill well. A French kiss needs its own special sound: slurp/smooch works. Saliva & lips & μουτς all combined. 'Women's lips' was just from this particular context.:wub:

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
This is an allusion to the sound that the waves breaking on the beach make, i.e. they remind the narrator of soft women’s kisses.

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Here, the sound of "σιγανό πλατάγισμα" reminds the writer of the sound of kisses from women’s lips.

Edit: Παλ Αύρα indeed! :)

I love the word μάκια! Thanks. Doesn't the word παλαύρα mean (it appears in one of my dictionaries) τα μεγάλα λόγια, οι καυχησιολογίες? What significance does Πάλι Αύρα have here, Dr?
I wholly missed the point about 'women's lips'. Far less literal than I thought. However, I have learned much of the language of love here, so nothing was wasted. But If we are exhausted from all this kissing, then perhaps the verb unkiss will come in handy. First found in 1562, unkiss also makes an appearance in Shakespeare’s Richard II: ‘Let me unkiss the oathe twixt thee and me’.

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Doesn't the word παλαύρα mean (it appears in one of my dictionaries) τα μεγάλα λόγια, οι καυχησιολογίες? What significance does Πάλι Αύρα have here, Dr?
Palavra's nickname simply means "word" (like in roman-origin languages). «"Παλ" Αύρα» (not "Πάλι") is an inside-joke among veteran :) forum members, a meta-nickname coined by Zazula, and is a word play bringing together "παλ" (= soft colour tones) and "αύρα" (breeze).

So, "Παλ Αύρα" means in our Lexilogian language "Soft Breeze" and it is considered a good and solid forum practice to call her by this name at least some times a month, preferably kneeling in front of a screen showing latest Lexilogia threads, so that she will remember only good things of you when her kingdom comes... :) :devil: :)

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Hehehehe! Theseus, they're only doing that because at first (Zazula, I'm looking at you!) they were always misspelling my name as Pavlaras (i.e. Big Paul), which is a very masculine version of the name Pavlos (alluding to a hard working, beer drinking, unshaved manual worker :D)

SBE

¥
All the words that come to mind now:
Mα (as in κάνω μα baby talk for giving a kiss, mwah)
Μάκια the plural of the above, να το κάνω μάκια
Ματς μουτς/ μάτσα μούτσα both words together, of course because if you are a γκρικ λοβερ με τρίχα για πουλόβερ* you don't stop at one. Also you greet people with two kisses. Δεν αφήνετε τα μάτσα μούτσα να κάνετε και καμιά δουλειά;
Ματς or μουτς (more common), on their own, as in the original example in the first message
Ματς see above

And of course when you kiss a child's injury better you also say μέχρι να παντρευτείς θα γιάνει, which explains why I still have some scars from childhood accidents, 35+ years later- I haven't married yet.

* Α phrase from a greek hip hop song parodying Greek Kamakia, see here for full lyrics

In what context do you use the axiom 'until you get married it'll get better? Thanks for all the information. The Greek Lover was very amusing!