Δαι μουσικές (daeman's tunes)

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Jethrotulling. Τζεθροταλίζειν εστι φιλομουσείν.

This Was (1968)

1. My Sunday Feeling (0:00)
2. Some Day The Sun Won't Shine For You (3:44)
3. Beggar's Farm (7:41)
4. Move On Alone (12:02)
5. Serenade To A Cuckoo (14:04)
6. Dharma For One (20:12)
7. It's Breaking Me Up (24:26)
8. Cat's Squirrel (29:30)
9. A Song For Jeffrey (35:14)
10. Round (38:40)

This Was is the debut album by the rock band Jethro Tull, released in 1968. Recorded at a cost of only 1,200 GBP, the album received generally favourable reviews and sold well upon its release. In the documentary film of the Woodstock Festival, portions of the songs "Beggar's Farm" and "Serenade to a Cuckoo" may be heard on the PA system, indicating the level of notice the album achieved in the United States.

"This Was" got its name from Ian Anderson, who wanted to make a statement that the record's blues sound reflected a temporary nature of the band's sound.

Attachments

• Jethro-Tull-This-Was-2001-Booklet-Front-Cover-72651.jpg
    Jethro-Tull-This-Was-2001-Booklet-Front-Cover-72651.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 157
  • jethro-tull-this-51.jpg
    jethro-tull-this-51.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 167

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Stand Up (1969)

1. A New Day Yesterday (0:00)
2. Jeffrey Goes To Leicester Square (4:14)
3. Bourée (6:26)
4. Back To The Family (10:15)
5. Look Into The Sun (14:09)
6. Nothing Is Easy (18:34)
7. Fat Man (23:01)
8. We Used To Know (25:54)
9. Reasons For Waiting (29:58)
10. For A Thousand Mothers (34:06)
11. Living In The Past* (38:28)
12. Driving Song* (41:53)
13. Sweet Dream* (44:37)
14. 17* (48:42)

*Bonus tracks on 2001 remastered CD issue

jeth_tull_stand_up_b.jpg
The original gatefold album featured a "pop-up" insert of the band and is today one of the most sought after Tull collector pieces.
Starting with "Stand Up," the band’s use of dynamics, Celtic Folk, and classically-oriented tonal structures, along with Ian Anderson’s flute playing and songwriting, became Jethro Tull’s signature. Simply put, "Stand Up" was the genesis of Tull's sound and, not surprisingly, is one of Anderson's favorite Tull records.
While hardly a "concept" album, lyrically the album devotes a lot to Anderson's relationship with his parents (a subject continued on "Benefit") and coping with new found pop stardom.

Attachments

• bandpopup.jpg
    bandpopup.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 154

Earion

Staff member
Μαζέφτε τα παιδιά στο σπίτι, καλμάρετε τους γείτονες:

I Want You - Inspiral Carpets (από το άλμπουμ Devil Hopping, 1994)

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Κλείστε τα παιδιά στη ντουλάπα, φρικάρετε τους γείτονες! :devil:

I Want You - Inspiral Carpets featuring the unFallable Mark E. Smith

Βγάλτε τα παιδιά απ' τη ντουλάπα, καλμάρετε τους γείτονες, αρκεί να μην τον δουν:

Saturn 5 - Inspiral Carpets featuring the inFallible Μark E. Smith

Keep the Circle: b sides and udder stuff. Mοο! :whistle:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Static from the past, but not at all random and in no way noise: Van der Graaf Generator, The Aerosol Grey Machine, simply electric and eclectic:

The petals that were blooming are just paper in your hand;
your eyes, which were clear in the night, are opaque as you stand...

Side 1
1. Afterwards 4:55
2. Orthenthian St., Pts. 1 & 2 6:18
3. Running Back 6:35
4. Into A Game 6:57

Side 2
1. The Aerosol Grey Machine 0:47
2. Black Smoke Yen 1:26
3. Aquarian 8:22
4. Necromancer 3:38
5. Octopus 8:00

"When I originally signed to Mercury in 1968, it was as a member of VdGG, then comprising myself and Chris Judge Smith. By late in the year, of course, the line-up was myself, Hugh, Guy and Keith Ellis and we were managed by Tony Stratton-Smith. At this point Mercury considered that they had the band signed up, but Strat insisted - rightly - that the other members should not sign up to what was a pretty dreadful deal. Mercury therefore refused to let us record. After our equipment was stolen (not for the last time) the band broke up. At this point there seemed no reason for me NOT to make a solo record to Mercury, to whom I was undoubtedly, if rashly, signed. Thus was made "Aerosol". Subsequently, we decided to reform and I was released from the Mercury contract on the condition that they could release "Aerosol" as a VdGG work".

~ Peter Hammill in an interview with Mju:zik magazine, February 1998

Οι στίχοι και άλλα πολλά, εκεί.

Attachments

• aeroback.jpg
    aeroback.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 155

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
In July 1969, Hammill recorded what was intended to be his first solo album at Trident Studios, with Banton, Evans and Ellis as session musicians. However, through a deal worked out by their manager, the album, The Aerosol Grey Machine, was released by Mercury under the band's name in return for releasing the band from their contract. The album was initially only released in the United States with hardly any promotion at all, so sales were minimal, but it did lead to the band reforming. Ellis decided not to continue, and was replaced by Nic Potter. Shortly afterwards, saxophonist and flautist David Jackson, who had previously played in a band called Heebalob with Smith, was invited by Hammill to join the band.

A new sound was established, leaving behind the psychedelic influence of The Aerosol Grey Machine in favour of darker textures. Banton, influenced by the effects pedals popularised by Jimi Hendrix, used his electronic skills to modify a Farfisa organ, giving it a wider variety of sounds. Jackson took his jazz influences, particularly Rahsaan Roland Kirk, and began to play multiple saxophones (usually alto and tenor) simultaneously. Hammill, for his part, elected to sing in received pronunciation, exploring the full range of his vocal capabilities. "We were all megalomaniacs," said Banton. "We grabbed our own space as best we could."

Tony Stratton-Smith formed Charisma Records and signed the band as his first act, who recorded their second album, The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other in December 1969. The album made the top 50 in the U.K, and the band started to gig regularly. Potter, however, did not feel he fitted into this increasingly experimental sound the band was developing, and tended to wait until the others had worked out their parts during rehearsals, adding his bass lines on top at the last minute. During the recording of the follow-up, H to He, Who Am the Only One (which featured Robert Fripp of King Crimson contributing guitar on "The Emperor in His War-Room"), he quit the band.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_der_Graaf_Generator

The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other

We're refugees, walking away from the life
that we've known and loved;
nothing to do nor say, nowhere to stay;
now we are alone.
We're refugees, carrying all we own
in brown bags, tied up with string;
nothing to think, it doesn't mean a thing,
but we can be happy on our own.

Side one
1. Darkness (11/11) 7:28
2. Refugees 6:23
3. White Hammer 8:15

Side two
1. Whatever would Robert have said? 6:07
2. Out of my Book 4:08
3. After the Flood 11:29

"But some warnings:
Don't listen when you're hustling, because it won't get in your head. Don't listen when you're angry, because you'll smash something. Don't listen when you're depressed, because you'll get more so. Don't listen with any preoccupations, because you'll blow it. And if you're a perpetually angry, depressed hustler with set ideas, don't bother, it wasn't meant for you in the first place.
I realise that I haven't really said anything at all... Well, it's the last day of an old decade; tomorrow we can start anew... I'm really only waving, a smile on my face and one tentative tear standing ready to fall..."

"We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other" (
John Minton)

Written off the top of my head,
31.12.69. PETER HAMMILL

Peter Hammill revealed via his website that the band's former bassist Nic Potter died on the night of 16 January 2013, aged 61. [R.I.Music]

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Pithecanthropus Erectus - Charles Mingus

Charles Mingus - Bass / Jackie McLean - Alto Saxophone / J. R. Monterose - Tenor Saxophone / Mal Waldron - Piano / Willie Jones - Drums, Recorded January 30, 1956

Pithecanthropus Erectus 00:00
A Foggy Day (George Gershwin) 10:36
Profile of Jackie 18:26
Love Chant 24:58

According to Mingus' liner notes, the title song is a ten-minute tone poem, depicting the rise of man from his hominid roots (Pithecanthropus erectus) to an eventual downfall due to "his own failure to realize the inevitable emancipation of those he sought to enslave, and his greed in attempting to stand on a false security." The song's title translates into "Upright Ape-Man", which holds a dual meaning with "upright" referring to Mingus' bass.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Tralatitious*: Paul McCartney's 'My Valentine' featuring Johnny Depp

[video=youtube;9lkuPt6ylEY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_477202&feature=iv&src_vid=f4dzzv81X9w&v=9lkuPt6ylEY[/video]
1. Characterized by transference; esp. of words or phrases, metaphorical, figurative.
2. Passed from hand to hand;
common, ordinary, vulgar. Obs.
3. Handed down
from generation to generation; traditional; also, repeated by one from another, as a statement. :whistle:
OED

Transla-trix*: Paul McCartney's 'My Valentine' featuring Natalie Portman

* transˈlatrix [fem., in L. form, of translator: see -trix.] = translatress.
1892 Nation (N.Y.) 18 Aug. 133/1 The translatrix knows her Greek well enough to do this.
1902 Speaker 4 Oct. 19/1 Is it the translatrix or Gregorovius himself who is guilty of [the mistake]?
:wub:
OED

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Cocaine In My Brain - Dillinger

Knife and fork,
bottle and cork
that's the way
to spell New York

This rhyme goes back to probably at least the 1910s. Doug Wilson, of the American Dialect Society list, found the 1915 citation below.

21 Dec. 1915, Syracuse (NY) Herald, p. 7, col. 2:
FREAK LETTER REACHES DESTINATION QUICKLY
Buffalo Postoffice Clerk Solves Puzzle of Strangely Addressed Missive.
(...)
The address side of the envelope bore in the center a picture of a buffalo. Underneath were the pictures of a knife, a fork, a bottle and a cork. The latter is part of a saying - "A knife, a fork, a bottle and a cork spells New York. The local clerk interpreted this part right when he guessed that the letter was meant for some [sic] in Buffalo, N. Y.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Happy Trails - Quicksilver Messenger Service

[video=youtube;Wi0e7brHdMQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Wi0e7brHdMQ[/video]

Side One
1. Who Do You Love - Part 1 (Ellas McDaniel aka Bo Diddley aka The Originator) --00:00
2. When You Love (Gary Duncan) -- 03:34
3. Where You Love (Greg Elmore) -- 08:51
4. How You Love (John Cipollina) -- 15:00
5. Which Do You Love (David Freiberg) -- 17:47
6. Who Do You Love - Part 2 (Ellas McDaniel) -- 19:38

Side Two
1. Mona (Ellas McDaniel) --25:32
2. Maiden Of The Cancer Moon (Duncan) --32:36
3. Calvary (Duncan) -- 35:30
4. Happy Trails (Dale Evans) -- 49.05

"It begins with an entire side dedicated to Bo Diddley's "Who Do You Love," superbly recorded at the Fillmores East and West. Quicksilver has been doing this number for some years. Now they have taken Bo Diddley's horror story and come back with one of the best rock and roll recordings to emerge from San Francisco, a performance that captures all the excitement and grandeur of the great days of the scene in a way that is almost too fine to be real. If rock and roll really will stand, as the Showmen sang, it will be music like this that makes it that way.

Quicksilver goes into it at full speed, John Cipollina's guitar alternately harsh and sweet. clashing with Gary Duncan's rhythm, Greg Elmore's drumming simple and solid, never an iota of sloppiness, not a note missed. They use the infamous Bo Diddley rhythm not as a crutch, not as something for the rhythm section to play with while the lead takes it; Quicksilver finds dimensions of that "bump buddy bump bump — bump bump" beat that no one has even suggested before, as they stretch it, bend it, move around it, as a motif or a bridge, as an idea rather than as a pattern.

The vocals are wild and screaming, like on the first Moby Grape album, but with the singing constantly jerked in like a zipper pulled hard. This combination of vocal anarchy and almost vicious timing pushes everything just past that point where one thought the limits were.

Describing this song is almost like trying to explain the plot of a movie by Godard; it opens with some of the finest hard rock ever recorded, then moves fast through a Bloomfield-like solo by Gary Duncan (but with an edge on it), then into an interlude of yelling and shouting by the audience, the participation of the listeners almost like a "found object" out of Dada, a beautiful example of the kind of communication rock and roll is all about. Cipollina takes over again, the excitement flashes, and finally David Friberg
[sic] and his bass slowly take it apart and put it back together, with the chilling words whispered and hissed out to the audience — "graveyard mind ... don't mind dyin'" — the tension builds and they hit it all at once, guitars harder and harder. Elmore pounding, voices screaming; everything working. By the time the band yells "Bye!" to the audience it's just not to be believed.

There is another side to this record: "Mona" comes off very well, as do two compositions by Gary Duncan which closely resemble "The Fool." Happy Trails closes with Dale Evan's "Happy Trails," which was a nice idea. But it took me two hours to even get to the other side."

~ Greil Marcus, Rolling Stone, May 3, 1969

Last edited:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Quicksilver Messenger Service - Quicksilver Messenger Service

Side One
1. Pride Of Man (Hamilton Camp) --00:00
2. Light Your Windows (Gary Duncan, David Freiberg) --04:10
3. Dino's Song (Dino Valenti) --06:50
4. Gold And Silver (Gary Duncan, S.Schuster) --10:01

Side Two
1. It's Been Too Long (Ron Polte) --16:47
2. The Fool (Gary Duncan, David Freiberg) --19:50

"Gold And Silver" is (whether intended or not) a rock arrangement of Dave Brubeck's "Take Five." Cipollina's guitar excursions are singularly evocative of Paul Desmond's sax changes. They manage to get away from the "Take Five" theme a bit by going into some Vanilla Fudgish, sluggish tempo drags which develop into a takeoff reminiscent of the Flag's "Another Country," even adding some fluttery, tinkly sounds a la Country Joe & the Fish.

~ Barry Gifford, Rolling Stone, July 6, 1968

Last edited:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Ballad for the Touch-Deprived - Berlin Brides

[video=youtube;oYOIqjHUisc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oYOIqjHUisc#![/video]

I went to the doctor to examine my foot
It felt mistreated by a kinky boot
I took my shoe off and I felt his hand
It must have been the first time since I joined this band

I called the masseur to rub my back
His name was Jacob but I call him Jack
I felt self-conscious while removing my clothes
I lack human contact I'm afraid it shows

I'm living my life in perfect bliss
Though there's one thing I truly miss
I sing this ballad for the touch-deprived
If you hold my hand I'll be revived

I went to the shop to try on a dress
I wished to dazzle and impress
When the salesgirl came to zip me up
Her sudden touch made me jump

Oh yeah, it made me jump

I do shiatsu with a girl named Clare
I pay good money in return of care
And when she presses my meridian points
I hear the groan from all my joints

I'm living my life in perfect bliss
Though there 's one thing I truly miss
I sing this ballad for the touch-deprived
If you hold my hand I'll be revived

Été Athénien

Paris sous la pluie quel dommage quel ennui
Madrid qué calor no hay mar qué horror

Aténas en verano andamos mano a mano
Verano en Aténas te conozco apénas

Cet été athénien c’est le mien et le tien
On est louche on se touche on se tient par la main
Louche touche tient par la main

L’Acropole quelle beauté mais la ville quelle saleté
El mar qué splendor y el agua qué frescor

Aténas en verano andamos mano a mano
Verano en Aténas te conozco apénas

On est louche on se touche on se tient par la main
Louche touche tient par la main

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Με την ευκαιρία των γενεθλίων του Λου Ριντ που μας θύμισε σήμερα ο OldBullLee εκεί, πρώτα μια ωραιότατη δίωρη επιλογή κομματιών του που βρήκα στο youtube (το Street Hassle δεν το βρήκα ολόκληρο, αλλά ευτυχώς το ομώνυμο κομμάτι του δίσκου, ένα από τα καλύτερα που έγραψε ποτέ ο Ριντ, το έβαλε ο OldBullLee):

1. Walk On The Wild Side (Transformer) 00:00
2. Romeo Had Juliet (New York) 04:17
3. New Sensations (New Sensations) 07:33
4. Temporary Thing (Rock And Roll Heart) 13:09
5. Sad Song (Berlin) 18:21
6. Outside (Mistrial) 25:18
7. Think It Over (Growing Up In Public) 28:21
8. Kill Your Sons (Sally Can't Dance) 31:46
9. Wild Child (Lou Reed) 35:26
10. NYC Man (Set The Twilight Reeling) 40:10
11. Satellite Of Love (Transformer) 45:06
12. Street Hassle (Street Hassle) 48:49
13. What's Good (Magic And Loss) 59:41
14. Caroline Says II (Berlin) 1:03:04
15. Waves Of Fear (The Blue Mask) 1:07:17
16. Perfect Day (Transformer) 1:11:30
17. Dirty Blvd. (New York) 1:15:17
18. Legendary Hearts (Legendary Hearts) 1:19:05
19. Sword Of Damocles (Magic And Loss) 1:22:17
20. Crazy Feeling (Coney Island Baby) 1:26:00
21. I Love You, Suzanne (New Sensations) 1:28:58
22. The Gun (The Blue Mask) 1:32:17
23. Vicious (Transformer) 1:37:58
24. Coney Island Baby (Coney Island Baby) 1:38:56
25. Magic And Loss (Magic And Loss) 1:45:32

και για να ροκάρουμε πραγματικά, ένα από τα καλύτερα ροκ λάιβ που έχουν κυκλοφορήσει ποτέ, Rock 'n' Roll Animal:

1. Intro/Sweet Jane - 00:00
2. Heroin – 08:00
3. White Light/White Heat – 20:46
4. Lady Day – 25:55
5. Rock 'n' Roll – 29:53

You're never ever too old to rock 'n' roll...

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Toasting to the music

You'll Want Me Back - Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions

inspires toasting the riddim

You Don't Care Riddim Mix

1. Pat Kelly and the Techniques - You Don't Care (D. Reid, 1967) Original

2. Lizzy and Dennis Alcapone - If you don't care (D. Reid, 1971)

3. Nora Dean - Barbwire (D. Reid, 1970)

4. Denis Alcapone - Mosquito One (D. Reid, 1971)

5. Dennis Alcapone - El Paso (C. Dodd, 1971)

6. Lone Ranger - Noah in the Ark (C. Dodd, 1981)

7. Devon Russell - Make Me Believe in You (C. Dodd, 1982)

8. Slim Smith - You Don't Care (C. Dodd, 1968)

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Solar Fire - Manfred Mann's Earth Band

Side one
1. Father of Day, Father of Night (Bob Dylan) – 9:55
2. In the Beginning, Darkness (Manfred Mann, Mick Rogers, Chris Slade) - 5:22
3. Pluto the Dog (Mann, Rogers, Slade, Colin Pattenden) – 2:48

Side two
1. Solar Fire (Mann, Rogers, Slade, Pattenden) – 5:15
2. Saturn, Lord of the Ring/Mercury, The Winged Messenger (Mann/Mann, Rogers) – 6:31
3. Earth, The Circle Part 2 (Mann) – 3:23
4. Earth, The Circle Part 1 (Mann) – 3:56

Bonus Tracks (1998 re-issue)
1. Joybringer (Gustav Holst, Mann, Rogers, Slade) – 3:25
2. Father of Day, Father of Night (Edited version) (Dylan) – 3:03

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Green Door - Jim Lowe

Midnight, one more night without sleeping
Watching, 'til the morning comes creeping
Green door, what's that secret you're keeping

There's an old piano and they play it hot
Behind the green door
Don't know what they're doing but they laugh a lot
Behind the green door
I wish they'd let me in so I could find out what's
Behind the green door

Knocked once, tried to tell them i'd been there
Door slam, hospitality's thin there
Wonder, just what's going on in there

I saw an eye ball peeping through a smoky cloud
Behind the green door
Well I said Joe sent me someone laughed out loud
Behind the green door
All I wanna do is join the happy crowd
Behind the green door

Midnight, one more night without sleeping
Watching, 'til the morning comes creeping
Green Door

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Psychedelic Jungle

Green Door - The Cramps

The natives are restless

Well, there's an uprising down on Watusi Street
And the witch doctor don't know what to think!
Well, the big chief says it isn't so
They get dressed up, messed up, ready to go
And the natives are restless
The natives are restless tonight!

Yeah, they're doin' a dance no one's ever seen,
And they're barbecuin' real human beans!
They pick their teeth with porcupine
And wash you down with jungle wine!
Ooh, the natives are restless
(Mmm, wanna bite?)

Well, in the heat of the city, it's hard to be cool,
You don't wanna do nothin' too terri-bool
But in my neighborhood, there's somethin' you should know
When the drum beat starts, it's time to go!
Ooh, the natives are restless

The Crusher

Do the Hammerlock
Do the Hammerlock, you turkey necks, rawrr
Everybody's doin' it
Rowwwrrr!

Do the Eye Gouge
Now do the Eye Gouge, you turkey necks
Everybody's doin' it
Rowwwrrr!

Alright, you turkey necks!
I'm wanna teach you how to do the Crusher!
And if you don't learn it now
I'm gonna getcha in the ring
Rowwrr!

Now first ya take your fist
And ya put it on your waist
And then ya squeeze your partner's head
Until she's blue in the face!
Rowwwrrr!
Yeah, do the Crusher

Do the Crusher
Do the Crusher, you turkey necks, rowr
Everybody's doin' it