Δαι μουσικές (daeman's tunes)

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Jefferson Airplane guitarist Paul Kantner dead at 74

Have you seen the stars tonite? (Paul Kantner, David Crosby, Blows Against the Empire)

A child is coming

The sky is no limit (Planet Earth Rock and Roll Orchestra)

The Baby Tree - Paul Kantner & Jefferson Starship

There's an island way out in the sea
where the babies they all grow on trees
and it's jolly good fun to swing in the sun
but you gotta watch out if you sneeze, sneeze
gotta watch out if you sneeze

Yeah, you gotta watch out if you sneeze
for swinging up there in the breeze
you're liable to cough
you might very well fall off
and tumble down flop on your knees, knees
tumble down flop on your knees

And when the stormy winds wail
and the breezes blow high in a gale
there's a curious dropping and flopping and plopping
fat little babies just hail, hail
fat little babies just hail

And the babies lie there in a pile
and the grownups they come after a while
and they always pass by all the babies that cry
take only babies that smile, smile
take only babies that smile

even triplets and twins if they'll smile...

So smile, little baby, just smile, smile

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Jefferson Airplane: 12 Essential Songs

Paul Kantner was not only a founding member, guitarist, singer and songwriter for Jefferson Airplane, he was the group's conceptual heart. Bringing along a love of literature and science fiction that seeped into the Airplane's songs along with his fuzzed-out guitar tones, Kantner remained with the band, on and off, throughout its tumultuous self-reinvention as Jefferson Starship, taking a long break in the Eighties as Mickey Thomas steered the newly christened Starship into brief pop success. Starship still tinges the legacy of Jefferson Airplane, which partly explains why the band's epochal Sixties work — as well as its uneven but sporadically brilliant output in the Seventies and beyond — finds itself curiously underrated today. But in their prime, Jefferson Airplane had plenty of songs to love.

Today - Jefferson Airplane

A gentle folk ballad that balanced out the stranger fare on the Airplane's breakthrough LP, "Today" is the plush stuffing in the middle of the Surrealistic Pillow. That's unofficial Airplane copilot Jerry Garcia on sweet, dreamy lead guitar; Kantner would later say Garcia lent "his particular Grateful madness to the whole [Surrealistic Pillow] project," and his touch is particularly clear on this song. Marty Balin, who co-wrote the song with Kantner and sang the tender lead vocal, later said "Today" was his attempt to impress Tony Bennett, who was recording in the next studio over. These days it sounds less like a tune for the ageless pop crooner, and more like a blueprint for the softer side of psychedelia as practiced by later bands like R.E.M. and Galaxie 500.

Won't You Try / Saturday Afternoon

"Won't You Try/Saturday Afternoon" embodies the shadows lurking along the underbelly of the hippie ideal. It's Kantner's paean to peace and love — with a subtle side of desperation and despair. One the surface, the track's easygoing harmonies and airy arrangement exude flowery sweetness. But the coiled, churning darkness of Kantner's distorted guitar — along with lines like "Won't you try with love before you're gone?" — hint at the realization that entropy comes to everyone.

Crown of Creation

In 1968, Kantner got a call from someone with the Democratic Party. "They wanted us to write a song for them, and I was reading a book called Rebirth by John Wyndham and I was playing a little blues lick that I had stolen from Jorma," he recalled in 2012. "I just put it all together as a joke, knowing that if they read the lyrics, they'd never use it." Well, someone must have read those lyrics. The Democrats didn't use "Crown of Creation" — Hubert Humphrey had enough problems in '68 without selecting a campaign song based on a novel about telepathic mutants struggling to escape religious persecution in post-apocalyptic Labrador. But as one of the first of Kantner's songs to be directly influenced by science fiction, "Crown of Creation" indicated the direction his songwriting was headed.

Wooden Ships

One weekend in 1968, Paul Kantner and Stephen Stills found themselves hanging out in Fort Lauderdale on David Crosby's boat — a 59-foot schooner that the king of folk-rock harmony had christened the Mayan. "I had been unceremoniously tossed out of the Byrds, and I had some time on my hands," Crosby would later recall. "I was down there just goofing off."

Once Stills and Kantner were there, it was only a matter of time before the guitars came out. "I had this set of changes that I'd been playing for a long time, that I really, really loved," Crosby
recalled. "We were sitting around in the main cabin of the boat, and we started fooling around, as we would naturally do." Kantner and Stills contributed a few verses each, sketching an allegorical tale about the seafaring survivors of a future apocalypse; the image of "wooden ships on the water, very free and easy" was Kantner's.

"Wooden Ships" ended up becoming a spacey highlight of Crosby, Stills and Nash's self-titled debut in 1969. It reappeared the following year in a darker, edgier rendition on the Airplane's Volunteers. In
his original Rolling Stone review of the album, critic Ed Ward wrote that "Wooden Ships" had "been given new life by Paul Kantner. ... The song comes off as more of a scream of desperation than does the Crosby-Stills-Nash version. ... It is an epic performance, and one of the best the Airplane has ever done."

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Alice's Wonderland - Charles Mingus Quintet

At the Nonagon Art Gallery, New York City, January 16, 1959.
John Handy (alto sax), Booker Ervin (tenor sax), Richard Wyands (piano), Charles Mingus (bass, arrangement), Dannie Richmond (drums)

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Για τη μικρή αγάπη - Αχιλλέας Περσίδης & Νότιος Ήχος

Αχιλλέας Περσίδης - ακουστική κιθάρα, κλασική κιθάρα, λαούτο, Ρος Ντέιλι - κρητική λύρα, Τάκης Καννέλος - κρουστά

Κυριακής απόγευμα

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Πειραιώτικο ταξίμι - Γιάννης Παπαϊωάννου

Μπλουζ του Νότου, του Δέλτα του Μισισιπή, και του Σικάγου.
Μπλουζ της Ανατολής, του Νότου, του φαληρικού Δέλτα, και του Περαία.