Άρχισαν τα όργανα

What is the exact meaning of the above phrase in such sentences as in Βικιλεξικο:-
Σήμερα χρησιμοποιείται σε περίπτωση επικείμενης ταραχής, πολιτικής κινητοποίησης ή γενικευμένων αντιδράσεων. Λέγεται και για μεμονωμένες περιπτώσεις. Δημοσιογραφικά η φράση αυτή έχει ευρεία χρήση.
"Άρχισαν τα όργανα στην Τουρκία"
"Αρχισαν τα όργανα για τη Eurovision"

I don't quite exactly understand the significance of the phrase.:confused:

pontios

Τώρα που το ανέφερε ο Θησέας - έχω ακούσει και τις ακόλουθες φράσεις ... "άρχισαν τα νταούλια/τα μπουζούκια/τα κλαρίνα" .
Σημαίνουν ένα και το ίδιο πράγμα;
Might as well kill four things at once.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
ΦΡ άρχισαν τα όργανα, για να δηλώσουμε ότι αρχίζει μια διαδικασία δύσκολη, με προβλήματα ή και με διαμάχες.

Άρχισαν τα όργανα
σήκω απ’ τη θέση σου
χόρεψε ζεϊμπέκικο
λύγισε τη μέση σου

Αρχίσανε τα όργανα, αρχίσαν τα νταούλια.

Banging On My Drum - Lou Reed

No connection to the idiom above. Just the drums and Lou Reed's birthday.

pontios

Query:
η φράση πάλι άρχισαν τα όργανα/τα νταούλια/τα μπουζούκια ... μπορεί να ερμηνευθεί και ως: here we go again/we've heard it all before --- a jaded and uninspired rehash with lots of noise/fanfare and no substance;

SBE

¥
Άρχισαν τα όργανα
σήκω απ’ τη θέση σου
χόρεψε ζεϊμπέκικο
λύγισε τη μέση σου

We have to mention that the verse above refers of course to the actual band starting to play and it's not an idiom.

Πάλι άρχισαν τα όργανα sounds to me a bit contrived. There are other expressions in Greek for unwanted repetition.

pontios

Πάλι άρχισαν τα όργανα sounds to me a bit contrived. There are other expressions in Greek for unwanted repetition.

I'm confusing the issue, as per usual - thanks, SBE, for clearing that up.

Thanks, all. It makes sense now. SBE, can you give me some other expressions for unwanted repetition? I know πάλι τα ίδια/ξανά η ίδια ιστορία/τα ίδια και τα ίδια/τα ίδια σκατά. Any more graphic ones?

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Δεν βρίσκω τον ιδιωματισμό στα ελληνοαγγλικά λεξικά μου. Ούτε εδώ είδα καμιά πρόταση για αγγλική απόδοση. Γιά ρίξτε καμιά ιδέα.

Η πρώτη δική μου είναι:

trouble is brewing...

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Δεν βρίσκω τον ιδιωματισμό στα ελληνοαγγλικά λεξικά μου. Ούτε εδώ είδα καμιά πρόταση για αγγλική απόδοση. Γιά ρίξτε καμιά ιδέα. ...

Όχι παντού, αλλά μπορεί να βολέψει:

the heat is on: If you say the heat is on, you mean that a time of great activity and/or pressure has begun:
With only months to go before the deadline, the heat is on.

To start the brewing. :-)

We have to mention that the verse above refers of course to the actual band starting to play and it's not an idiom. ...

I thought it was more than obvious from the context:

Άρχισαν τα όργανα, σήκω απ' τη θέση σου
χόρεψε ζεϊμπέκικο, λύγισε τη μέση σου

Χτύπησε τα πόδια σου πάνω στον ασίκικο σκοπό
έτσι μου γουστάρεις, έτσι σ' αγαπώ

Άρχισαν τα όργανα, το παλιό ντερβίσικο
να μη μου το χόρευες, θα 'τανε αφύσικο

Άρχισαν τα όργανα, το μπουζούκι εργάζεται
να το το κορίτσι μου, σειέται και τινάζεται

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
(the) storm clouds are gathering...

I think that when we say άρχισαν τα όργανα, the storm has already broken, or at least it's breaking now, the first lightning has struck, the first drops have landed. The opening notes have sounded (εν χορδαίς και οργάνω οργάνοις, εν τυμπάνω και χορώ, με ζουρνάδες και νταούλια). :-) Do I have to add a disclaimer that the parenthesis is not connected to the idiom in question?

Zorbing - Stornoway

Lying in your attic, I can feel the static
The storm is breaking, window's shaking
So electrifying, oh, I'm nearly flying
Lost my heart between the sheets of lightning

Seen a storm in Stornoway once; it was really majestic in those wide open skies.

pontios

Here's some intimidating human νταούλια - signalling a ferocious storm is brewing/the heat is on

cougr

¥
Επίσης, ανάλογα με την περίπτωση:

The first blows have been struck
The storm/nightmare has just begun
The challenges/ troubles/ hard times have begun
The gloves are off
It's showtime

Και παραλλαγές αυτών.