metafrasi banner

vox pop

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Αν έχουμε την πλήρη λατινική φράση Vox populi, vox Dei, τότε μεταφράζουμε «φωνή λαού, φωνή οργή Θεού». Αλλά το σκέτο vox populi στα αγγλικά θα το πούμε αγγλικά, [βοξ πόπιουλαϊ], και θα το μεταφράσουμε συνήθως «κοινή γνώμη» (χωρίς να αποκλείεται το «φωνή του λαού»). Π.χ.
Let's see if we can detect the vox populi.
"Dedman's piece got barely a whisper from the vox populi. 'We received just one e-mail, but no one complained,' said Globe Ombudsman Christine Chinlund."
— Allan Wolper; The Credibility Gap; Editor & Publisher (New York); Aug 12, 2002.

Σε αγγλικά κείμενα η φράση γράφεται με πλάγια από τους προσεκτικούς. Δεν γράφεται με πλάγια το vox pop (όλο και συχνότερα μία λέξη, voxpop), που είναι οι μίνι συνεντεύξεις που παίρνουν οι δημοσιογράφοι από αγνώστους σε δημόσιους χώρους για να δώσουν βήμα στο κοινό, κατά κάποιον τρόπο. Θα προτιμούσα να μην ισχυριστεί κανείς ότι είναι μια πρόχειρη σφυγμομέτρηση αν και το πρώτο πρώτο παράδειγμα στο OED, από το 1964, αυτό υπονοεί:

1964 Hall & Whannel Popular Arts ix. 225 In television… we could include… the use of the brief survey of popular opinion on any topic by means of the posed question (the so-called ‘vox pop’).

Κατά κανόνα με εκνευρίζουν, όχι τόσο σαν υπερβολικά ελαφριά νότα στα δελτία ειδήσεων, αλλά γιατί συνήθως μας σερβίρουν κάθε μπούρδα και προχειρολογία που θα γράψει η κάμερα, ίσως επειδή βαριούνται να μαζέψουν αρκετές συνεντεύξεις ώστε να μπορούν να ξεσκαρτάρουν. Έχουν κανόνες τα vox pops· αντέγραψα από ένα βιβλίο και τους σερβίρω παρακάτω.

Προ ημερών, με τα καραγκιοζιλίκια των συμβασιούχων στον Παρθενώνα, είχαν πάρει στο Mega δυο-τρεις συνεντεύξεις αγγλόφωνων τουριστών και αναφώνησα «Επιτέλους, σωστά vox pops» (εντάξει, δεν είπα «vox pops»). Δεν θέλω να πιστέψω ότι δεν υπάρχουν Έλληνες στους δρόμους που να μπορούν να dιατυπώσουν ένα σωστό επιχείρημα, μια ισορροπημένη σκέψη, σε δυο καλοσυνταγμένες προτάσεις. Προτιμώ να πιστέψω ότι υπάρχουν τεμπέληδες δημοσιογράφοι.

Και με την ευκαιρία: Τις λέμε συνεντεύξεις δρόμου ή υπάρχει κάτι καλύτερο και ακριβέστερο;

Από Wiktionary:
vox pop (plural vox pops)
A short, informal, non-prearranged interview with a member of the public, especially to canvas opinion.
The reporter got some vox pops in the city square to see what people thought of the country's new flag.

Από Interviewing for journalists, Sally Adams, Wynford Hicks, Rοutledge, 2009, σελ. 10-11:

Vox pops
The term comes from the Latin vox populi meaning 'voice of the people'. Often an easy way to fill a page is with pix and short quotes from people interviewed on the street about current topics. Success depends on the topic chosen.

It may be valid to ask Manchester United fans their views about whether the manager should keep a player who wants to leave. But asking people on the street for their comments on decisions made by the General Medical Council, say, or the president of Russia in the face of a crisis, is unlikely to reveal much of value.

However, vox pops are a great way to practise basic interviewing skills on willing interviewees, who seem flattered to be asked – not always the reaction of people faced with beginners. Vox pops work because you learn to get basic details, precise answers and good quotes. Without ruining the story, you can discard any interviews that don't work either because the answers were uninteresting or because you got it wrong. You learn to ask the main question, listen to the answer and then seek extra value/mileage from supplementaries/follow-ups.

The way to approach a vox pop is, first, to ensure you have a relevant question likely to appeal to people in your area, then to walk up to people confidently, notebook in hand. Don't use a clipboard – that signals market research. Use the word 'journalist' as early as possible in your introduction. Smile, of course, and be positive.

If you are worried about approaching strangers, it's likely they'll refuse to talk to you. This is evidence of one of the great laws of interviewing, that of reciprocity: you get back what you send out.

Message: 'I'm nervous, have never done this before and am certain no one will talk to me.'
Response: 'Do I want to talk to this scared person? No, I don't.'

Message: 'You look interesting. I'd like to know what you think and so, I'm sure, would my readers.'
Response: 'Why not?'

The best way to find people likely to talk is to look for the journalistic equivalent of a captive audience: people who are already standing still, waiting for a bus, for instance, or in a queue to get into a club. Shopping centres and street markets can be productive areas. Use your common sense, though, and don't approach people with huge bags of shopping or, say, three small children who arc playing up. Market traders who aren't serving people are usually good for a quote. The best prospects are those whose eye you catch, or you could select people you'd like to know better.

'Hi, I'm a journalist interviewing people about ... and I'd just like a minute or two to discover what you think.'
'Hello, I'm a journalist and I'd be very grateful if you'd spare me some time to talk about ...'
'Hello, I'm a journalist writing a feature on ... It'll just take a minute . ..'

Give your name and the publication you're working for fairly early, but there's no need yet to take their name. Get them talking first. It's best to stand opposite your interviewee. This works because it actually impedes their movement, making any attempt to get away from you obvious.

Last edited:

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Δεν είναι άλλο και θα έπρεπε να διορθώσω το πρώτο που έδωσα γιατί εμείς συνήθως λέμε φωνή λαού, οργή Θεού, έτσι το έχουμε προσαρμόσει, και τα πολλά ευρήματα με «φωνή... φωνή...» είναι αφύσικα, ίσως. Αλλά το έχουμε ξεχάσει αυτό, βέβαια, επειδή ζούμε περισσότερο στον αστερισμό τού φωνή βοώντος εν τη ερήμω.