metafrasi banner

the Anthropocene = η Ανθρωπόκαινος

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
the Anthropocene
proper noun
the period from the 18th century until the present day, characterized by the effect of humans on geology, climate and the environment

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/buzzword/entries/anthropocene.html

The Anthropocene is an informal geological epoch that serves to mark the recent extent of human activities that have had a significant global impact on the Earth's ecosystems. A proposal was presented in 2008 to the Stratigraphy Commission of the Geological Society of London to make the Anthropocene a formal unit of geological time. A large majority of the Stratigraphy Commission decided that the proposal had merit and should therefore be further examined. Steps are being taken by independent working groups of scientists from various geological societies to determine if the Anthropocene will be formally accepted into the Geological Time Scale.

Many scientists have adopted the term and the Geological Society of America will be hosting its annual meeting and exposition entitled the Archean to Anthropocene. The Anthropocene has no precise start date, but may be considered to start with the Industrial Revolution (late 18th century). Other commentators link it to earlier events, such as the rise of agriculture. The term was coined in 2000 by the Nobel Prize-winning atmospheric chemist Paul Crutzen, who regards the influence of human behavior on the Earth in recent centuries as so significant as to constitute a new geological era[citation needed]. The human influence on global climate and mass extinctions may have begun as early as 14,000 to 15,000 years before present, leading some to suggest that "the onset of the Anthropocene should be extended back many thousand years."

Etymology
Anthropocene was coined in 2000 by the Nobel Prize-winning scientist Paul Crutzen by analogy with the word "Holocene." The Greek roots are anthropo- meaning "human" and -cene meaning "new." Crutzen has explained, "I was at a conference where someone said something about the Holocene. I suddenly thought this was wrong. The world has changed too much. So I said: 'No, we are in the Anthropocene.' I just made up the word on the spur of the moment. Everyone was shocked. But it seems to have stuck."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropocene

Χάραξε η αυγή μιας νέας (γεωλογικής) εποχής (Το Βήμα)

Εικόνα