metafrasi banner

take the edge off

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Καλημέρα. Λέω να μαζέψω μερικές ωραίες καθημερινές ελληνικές αποδόσεις για τη μεταφορική σημασία της άμβλυνσης και της χαλάρωσης. Εκφράσεις που να μπορούν να κάτσουν καλά στα παρακάτω παραδείγματα. Εγώ θα βάλω την εύκολη: Θα σου κόψει (την πείνα).

take the edge off ((of) something)
1. Lit. to dull a blade. (Of is usually retained before pronouns.) Cutting hard stuff like that will take the edge off your knife blade.
2. Fig. to decrease the effect of something; to make something less blunt, critical, etc. (Of is usually retained before pronouns.) He did not mean to insult the guest, and he quickly thought of something to say that would take the edge off his remark. Her comments were quite cruel, and nothing could be said to take the edge off of them.

McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs.

take the edge off something
to make something unpleasant have less of an effect on someone: Have an apple. It'll take the edge off your hunger for a while. His apology took the edge off her anger.

Cambridge Idioms Dictionary, 2nd ed.

take the edge off something
to reduce the effect of something, esp. something unpleasant: Ceiling fans can take the edge off summer heat. The memorial service didn't bring my husband back to life, but it took the edge off my sorrow.

Cambridge Dictionary of American Idioms

take the edge off
The consumption of an alcoholic beverage in order to relax. Also used to describe the practice of drinking a beer in the morning after a night of drinking: School and work have me stressed out, I need something to take the edge off.
Urban Dictionary

References in classic literature:

Anne wished herself back at Patty's Place, where there was always somebody else about to take the edge off a delicate situation.
Anne of the Island by Montgomery, Lucy Maud

"and so saying, he seized a bucket and plunging it into one of the half jars took up three hens and a couple of geese, and said to Sancho, "Fall to, friend, and take the edge off your appetite with these skimmings until dinner-time comes.
Don Quixote by Cervantes, Miguel

'You might be a sort of protection for me, if you remained in it,' said Mr Boffin; 'you might stand betwixt him and me, and take the edge off him.'
Our Mutual Friend by Dickens, Charles​

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/take+the+edge+off

Τόσα και τόσα γράφει και τσιγκουνεύεται τα f στον τίτλο.

Nickel says: Πάει, διορθώθηκε. Ούτε εικόνα δεν κράτησα για ενθύμιο. :)