RIP (?) Oxford Dictionary of English

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Let me first make it clear that this is not about the Oxford English Dictionary. It's about the single volume dictionary by the same publishers, the Oxford Dictionary of English (ODE), which first came out in 1998. It was a completely new dictionary which strove to represent as faithfully as possible the current usage of English words. The Third Edition was published in August 2010. For some years there was an online edition with its own site, and until recently it could be found at lexico.com. Since this morning any search for previous links will take you to dictionary.com, which, however, does not have any ODE content. One of the major advantages of the online application was the collection of examples. It has helped me immensely in various aspects of my work and I’ll be greatly disappointed if the dictionary does not reappear under some new owner or sponsor.

In cases where I’d copied content into Lexilogia pages, I now feel happy I’d done so. For the time being I’ll move on to Collins at https://www.collinsdictionary.com/
It’s a rich dictionary, with both British and American content, which also contains examples and strives to include new vocabulary.

It’d be quite revealing to compare content copied here from the ODE and content in Collins.

cougr

¥
Nickel, I believe the OED is available as a free mobile app. See the Oxford Languages link below.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Nickel, I believe the OED is available as a free mobile app. See the Oxford Languages link below.
I know, but I can't link from here to my mobile. :-) Plus it hasn't got any extra examples but those contained in the book.

cougr

¥
Ήμουν σίγουρος ότι το γνώριζες, απλώς το ανέφερα για κάθε ενδεχόμενο.:-)