ψοφόκρυο

Another, more informal equivalent of 'sup', is "τι λέει;" (meaning of course 'what's going on'). Now, about 'brr', in written language, we use the exact interjection "μπρρρ" (more 'r's' = more cold :p ), but while we talk, I don't think we use it. We say one-word phrases, like "κρύο" (cold), "ψόφος" (death), "μπούζι" (freezing cold), and one or two very-very informal ;)

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
... Now, about 'brr', in written language, we use the exact interjection "μπρρρ" (more 'r's' = more cold :p ), but while we talk, I don't think we use it. We say one-word phrases, like "κρύο" (cold), "ψόφος" (death), "μπούζι" (freezing cold), and one or two very-very informal ;)

Well, I do say "brrrrr" with many rrrs, more than usual this winter since the temperature where I live has dropped on several days below zero (μπιλοζίρια). But then again I also say "τουρτουρτουρ" sometimes with teeth chattering; τουρτουρίζω as a true Tartarus daeman πριν ξυλιάσω εντελώς.

I guess the informal ones would be like "το δάγκωσα", right? :-)

Btw, μπούζι in ΛΚΝ and in Lexi.

Give me the very informal too, Jim. A passing mention always excites my curiosity! And thanks, 'Man, as ever.:)

Well, Theseus! It's the one Daeman gives ("το δάγκωσα" - literaly means "I bite it (my...penis)" ), and there is a more informal: "ψώλος" or "ψωλόκρυο" . The word in Greek actually describes the male genitalia, but in this context signifies the freezing cold. I don't realy know how it came to use, but a very simple thought is the similarity between the words "ψόφος" (we mentioned previously) and "ψώλος" (psofos / psolos). :)

SBE

¥
I must have lived a very sheltered life because I only know ψοφόκρυο= deadly cold

Πουστόκρυο is very common too, linked to the expression κρυώνω σαν πούστης (no connotation of homosexuality in either).

daeman

Administrator
Staff member

A sonorous Scottish brrrrr: ψυχρολουσία, turned Chinese (bar the rrrs).