να συνεταιριστούμε;

pontios

Καλημέρα !

Πως θα μεταφράζατε αυτή την πρόταση; ..
Δηλαδή, δεν θέλεις χρήματα για να συνεταιριστούμε;

Τα συμφραζόμενα - ένας εύπορος επιχειρηματίας έχει προσφέρει σ'έναν απένταρο φίλο του την ευκαιρία να γίνει συνεταίρος σε μια κερδοφόρα επιχείρηση του.
Είναι δηλαδή η απορία που εκφράζει ο άπορος φίλος μόλις ακούει για την γενναιόδωρη πρόταση.

You don't need any money for the partnership ?
You don't need me to put any money into the partnership ?
So you don't need money for the partnership ?
So you don't want/need any money from me to partner you ?
So I can partner you without putting in any money ?

For some reason it's not straight forward. I want it to explain and elegantly express what has happened and your help would be appreciated.

Εγώ θα έλεγα "So, you want no money at all for the partnership?" αλλά εγώ δεν είμαι μεταφραστής...

pontios

Thanks Helle .. I'm not a translator,either, as you can probably gather, but at least you're a poet.
You have that advantage.

For some reason, I can translate whole passages (from my uncle's book), but I get stumped by relatively easy sentences, here and there.

For the sticklers (and there's nothing wrong with that - I'm training myself to become one) - I should have written "straightforward", earlier (one word, I know !). .:eek:

pontios

Also, while I'm at, I should have written .. Thanks, Helle (there's a missing comma, above).
I need to be more careful !
If someone could do the corrections, I'd appreciate it.

pontios

Do you mean you don't need / want any money put into the /your partnership?

Thank you.
I like the way you've structured it; so I'm going to borrow your idea and perhaps also incorporate "towards the partnership", instead of "into the partnership".
Something like ...
1. Do you mean you won't need me to put any money towards the partnership ?
or..
2. Do you mean Ι won't need to put any money towards the partnership ?

I think I prefer the second one. I'm not sure if there should be a "that" in there, following "mean", as in:
Do you mean "that" I won't need to put any money towards the partnership? I think "won't" sounds better than "don't".

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Καλημέρα. Το τελευταίο σου μου αρέσει, μόνο θα έλεγα:
Do you mean I can partner you without putting up any money?
So I can be your partner without putting up any money?

pontios

Do you mean I can partner you without putting up any money?

Ευχαριστώ, nickel.
Ακούγεται ωραία !
Το "partner you" νομίζω είναι ο ακριβέστερος τρόπος να το αποδώσουμε.
"putting up" is an interesting (and maybe better? - but I need to think about it first, before deciding) alternative here to "putting in" - putting up (money) suggests "funding" something whereas "putting in" suggests "investing" in something.