με εικόνες - παρομοίωσες

altan

Hi Friends,
About the highlighted text; " He was thinking very clear, poetic similarities ...." etc. Is that correct?

Attachments

• 2015-11-28 18-02-06 El Greko - Αναφορα Στο&#95.jpg
    2015-11-28 18-02-06 El Greko - Αναφορα Στο&#95.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 196

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Hello, Altan. It is pretty straightforward.

He thought in pictures/images, and poetic figures were [to him] unshakable logical arguments.

altan

Thank you Nickel. Literal translation is so. But isn't there any metaphor? "To think in Picture"! Kazantzakis "likes" metaphors. And about "παρομοίωσες", i see it as "similarity of clauses in a sentence"2015-11-28 19-52-16 A Greek-English school lexicon. To which is added a dictionary of proper nam.jpg

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Παρομοίωση (plural παρομοιώσεις, in literary demotic παρομοίωσες) is a simile, a figure of speech.

So: He thinks in pictures and figures of speech, which to him are as rational as logical arguments.

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
A -rather tardy- attempt in Turkish: Resimlerle düşünüyordu, ve ona göre şiirsel mecazlar sağlam, mantıklı kanıttı.

Severus

As far as "ποιητικές παρομοιώσεις" is concerned, I would use "poetic imagery".

A free translation:

His thoughts had been pictures, and poetic imagery his compelling rational arguments.

And some relevant examples taken from other literary pieces:

All his thoughts were pictures, and he clothed the most abstract ideas in the glowing images of poetry.

https://books.google.de/books?id=3S...nepage&q="his thoughts were pictures"&f=false

It could not have been otherwise; his pictures were his thoughts, and he painted where another would have wept.
http://www.forgottenbooks.com/readbook_text/Frasers_Magazine_1872_v5_1000595173/565

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
A correction in my foregoing translation: Resimlerle düşünüyordu, ve şiirsel mecazlar sağlam, mantıklı kanıt gibi geliyordu ona.