απρόφταστος

leszekpaul

Hallo, what is the meaning of the word απρόφταστος, in the poem of Kiki Dimoula :
Τις λεπτές κι όμορφες,
των παραθύρων ερωμένες,
αρπίστριες του αγναντέματος,
που τις επήρε απρόφταστες ο θάνατος

m_a_a_

προφταίνω [profténo] & προφτάνω [proftáno] Ρ αόρ. πρόφτασα, απαρέμφ. προφτάσει & προφθάνω [profθáno] Ρ αόρ. πρόφθασα, απαρέμφ. προφθάσει : ΣYN προλαβαίνω.
1a. get somewhere in time
1α. φτάνω κάπου εγκαίρως, πριν φύγει κάποιος ή κτ. ή πριν αρχίσει κτ.: Kαθυστερήσαμε και δεν προφτάσαμε το λεωφορείο / δεν τον προφτάσαμε το Γιώργο. Mη βιάζεσαι, προφταίνουμε. Άργησα και δεν πρόφτασα το πρώτο μέρος της συναυλίας. || Δεν τον προφτάσαμε, πέθανε πριν φτάσουμε.
b. catch up with someone/something
β. φτάνω, πλησιάζω κπ. ή κτ. που πηγαίνει μπροστά από εμένα: Aν και είχε προχωρήσει, τον προφτάσαμε. Πήρα ένα ταξί και το πρόφτασα το τρένο στον επόμενο σταθμό.
2a. act in time (to prevent an undesirable outcome)
2α. ενεργώ ή αντιδρώ εγκαίρως, πριν συμβεί κτ. συνήθ. δυσάρεστο, ανεπιθύμητο: Προφτάσαμε και φύγαμε πριν ξεσπάσει η καταιγίδα. Δεν πρόφτασε να τον σώσει. Kαλά που σε πρόφτασα και δε μίλησες. || Δεν τον πρόφτασαν οι γιατροί, πέθανε πριν επέμβουν οι γιατροί.
b. arrive/occur before precautions are taken
β. (οικ.) για κτ. δυσάρεστο που συμβαίνει, πριν λάβουμε τα αναγκαία μέτρα αποτροπής ή προστασίας: Nα τρέξουμε, μη μας προφτάσει η νύχτα. Mας πρόφτασε η βροχή / ο χειμώνας.
3a. have the time to do/complete something
3α. έχω στη διάθεσή μου τον απαιτούμενο χρόνο για να κάνω ή για να ολοκληρώσω κτ.: Aν προφτάσω, θα έρθω στη γιορτή. Δεν πρόφτασα να διαβάσω όλο το βιβλίο. (έκφρ.) δεν ~ ούτε να φάω, είμαι πάρα πολύ απασχολημένος. ~ δεν ~, είναι αμφίβολο αν θα προφτάσω.
b. be old enough to have met someone or to have experienced something from the past
β. συνυπάρχω με κπ. ή με κτ. την ίδια χρονική περίοδο: Δεν τον πρόφτασα εγώ αυτό τον καθηγητή (είχε πάρει σύνταξη όταν πήγα στο Πανεπιστήμιο). Εγώ την πρόφτασα την Aθήνα, όσο ήταν ανθρώπινη πόλη.
4a. [followed by negation] to express the pace at which things are succeeding each other
4. (προφ.) α. με άρνηση για να δηλώσουμε τη μεγάλη ταχύτητα με την οποία διαδέχεται μια ενέργεια την άλλη ή ένα γεγονός το άλλο: Έχουν μεγάλη ζήτηση τα προϊόντα μας, δεν προφταίνουμε να πουλάμε / δεν προφταίνουμε τις παραγγελίες. Δεν προφτάσαμε να αποχαιρετήσουμε τον έναν, τώρα φεύγει κι ο άλλος. || για μεγάλη κατανάλωση: Δεν τον προφταίνουμε στο φαΐ / στα ρούχα. Δεν ~ τα έξοδα. Δεν ~ τους γιατρούς, κάνω πολλά έξοδα για γιατρούς.
b. του το πρόφτασε: s/he was fast to tell him (something s/he shouldn't necessarily have told him)
β. (έκφρ.) του το πρόφτασε, επικριτικά για κπ. που σπεύδει να ανακοινώσει σε κπ. άλλον κτ. που δεν έπρεπε ή που δεν ήταν απαραίτητο να του το πει: Tου τα πρόφτασε όλα κάποιος καλοθελητής.

undone might be a plausible rendition in your context...

pontios

"undone" as in unprepared, not ready?
or "undone" referring to the life ahead of them being cut short/being left incomplete/left undone?

I'm reading it as ...
Off guard? By surprise?
Unprepared, unexpectedly, unavoidably?

Last edited:

cougr

¥
The term "απρόφταστος" could also refer to someone you:
can't catch up to
can't keep up with
can't reach in time (to offer help to or to save)

https://greek_greek.en-academic.com/23524/%CE%B1%CF%80%CF%81%CF%8C%CF%86%CF%84%CE%B1%CF%83%CF%84%CE%BF%CF%82

But in the context of the poem to which the stanza in #1 derives from and as can be inferred from the post by m_a_a, I'm inclined to think that "απρόφταστες" = "εκείνες που δεν πρόφτασαν να...." where the rest of the narrative in relation to the expression is left to the readers imagination to fill. It could be that the "απρόφταστες" were those who were denied the chance to fulfill or partake in something in relation to their lives.

Ed: I couldn't get the link to work.

PS: Welcome to our forum leszekpaul!

Last edited:

pontios

It's a very reasonable interpretation, referring to the life ahead of them being cut short/being left incomplete/left undone/unfulfilled, as ma_a_a_ also suggested. And I saw this as a valid interpretation, too.

But, there may be other interpretations.

There's a suddenness/unexpectedness' implied by "απρόφταστες" which could mean that these young women, metaphorically speaking, didn't have the opportunity to anticipate or prepare for their untimely demise (δεν πρόλαβαν/δεν προφτασαν, ήρθε ξαφνικά ο θάνατος - απροφταστες, δηλαδή, απο αυτην την άποψη)???

Let's think of all the possibilities, first (that's what I was trying to do, anyway) - then we can discount any unlikely ones.

Last edited:

m_a_a_

The term "απρόφταστος" could also refer to someone you:
can't catch up to
can't keep up with
can't reach in time (to offer help to or to save)
[...]​
But in the context of the poem to which the stanza in #1 derives from and as can be inferred from the post by m_a_a, I'm inclined to think that "απρόφταστες" = "εκείνες που δεν πρόφτασαν να...." where the rest of the narrative in relation to the expression is left to the readers imagination to fill.
In other words, the question seems to be if we, upon an imaginary conversion of adjective (απρόφταστες) to verb (πρόφτασαν), should think of the "window mistresses" as the subject of the clause (δεν πρόφτασαν) or the object (δεν τις πρόφτασαν)...

Let's think of all the possibilities, first (that's what I was trying to do, anyway)
If that's the spirit, it might be a good idea to recite the entire stanza:

Γράψε πως κλαίω για τις μητέρες.
Τις πιο παλιές μητέρες μου.
Τις λεπτές κι όμορφες,
των παραθύρων ερωμένες,
αρπίστριες του αγναντέματος,
που τις επήρε απρόφταστες ο θάνατος
κι αυτές μακροημερεύουν μητρικές
σε σαλονιού φωτογραφίες
και σε κεντήματα.

The poem is called Mαύρη Γραβάτα (Black Tie), and it seems to have been translated to English by Cecile Inglessis Margellos, whom some of us know for her Greek translation of Louis-Ferdinand Céline's ‎Journey to the End of the Night... I've been digging through various databases for quite some time now, but haven't been able to locate the translation in question...

then we can discount any unlikely ones
Well, then, I'll leave you to it :-)

pontios

Judging by the likes, mine must be the unpopular interpretation.🙁
Think of it as an alternative, anyway.

pontios

I'm wondering if there's yet another possibility? (please dig harder, m_a_a_ put your back into it).
Could απροφταστες imply πριν προλαβουμε να τις προφτασουμε,(νοερά) ... in turn implying the mysterious and elusive nature of the "window mistresses." (ειναι απιαστες/αφταστες)?
... να υποδηλώνει την αδυναμία μας να τις κατανοήσουμε πλήρως πριν από τον ξαφνικο τους θάνατο (ή και μετά);

απροφταστες = αφταστες ?

Last edited:

m_a_a_

please dig harder, m_a_a_ put your back into it
Τι σας έχω;

I'm reading it as ...
Off guard? By surprise?
Unprepared, unexpectedly, unavoidably?
pontios with the home run!

Write that I weep over the mothers.
My oldest mothers.
The slim and fair ones
the window-lovers,
who play the harp of distance with their eyes,
whom death took unprepared,
who last through long maternal lives
in drawing-room photographs
and embroideries.

The poem is called Mαύρη Γραβάτα (Black Tie), and it seems to have been translated to English by Cecile Inglessis Margellos, whom some of us know for her Greek translation of Louis-Ferdinand Céline's ‎Journey to the End of the Night...
And it goes without saying, there's a forum...

pontios

Hey, I'm not done yet, there could be more possibilities .... just joking.;-)

I can't access the link that nickel provided in that thread (that I get to via your "there's a forum" link), I keep getting ....

"error 404​

PAGE NOT FOUND!"​

Never mind.

Last edited:

pontios

How about some likes, now. Do I have to beg for validation, a modicum of appreciation? What's wrong with you guys?
You get likes for posting wrong answers, even. :)

Last edited: