απιστία περί την υπηρεσία

Palavra

Mod Almighty
Staff member
Pal, I wish I could be of help but I've always found that legal translations where there is no direct equivalence of terms, are exceedingly difficult.
You are absolutely right. As I said in the begining of this post, if space allowed for it, I would have written financial loss to the Greek State caused by a civil servant. At this point, I should notice that it's not uncommon for lawyers giving professional advice to foreign clients to use word-for-word translations of legal terms as placeholders and then elaborate further.

This is because, even if on the surface there is an equivalent legal term in the target language, its content would not be the same. Therefore, in order to avoid the hassle of explaining that no, even though we are speaking about embezzlement, things are different in Greece than in the UK, legal professionals use loan words in order to draw their readers' attention to the fact that there is a lack of equivalence (and that they therefore need to pay for legal advice in order to know more :D :D :D)