άλλο (ως επίρρημα)

In this line (guess from where!!):

Δεν ημπορώ βασιλικέ άλλο να σε ποτίζω/ γιατί είν’ οι μυρωδιές πολλές και δεν τις τζαγιαντίζω. does the word άλλο mean 'another (herb like) you? It seems by the clear break in the line (the caesuras) to go with σε.

I know what rhe rest of the line means, so I think:-

'I cannot water, basil plant, another you, for your scents are many & I cannot bear them.'

A trivial thread, I admit, but to me, worth asking.:)

I believe it was our friend Sarant who had remarked that you keep showing us curious uses of words we are not aware of, Theseus!
Here άλλο is used as adverb, it means "any more". "I cannot water you any more"
Δεν αντέχω άλλο = I can't stand this any more, μην πιεις άλλο = don't drink any more, etc.

Thanks, Marinos. So it was worth asking after all. I sometimes get the (wholly ]unjustified) impression that my threads are of no interest or significance to other lexilogists. :(

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
νταγιαντίζω / νταγιαντώ / νταγιαντάω :
1. δέχομαι αναγκαστικά μια δυσάρεστη κατάσταση, υπομένω, βαστώ, αντέχω («δεν νταγιαντώ, δεν νταγιαντώ τον εδικό σου τον καημό», δημ. τραγούδι)
2. λαμβάνω υπ' όψιν, υπολογίζω, λογαριάζω («δεν νταγιαντίζω κανένα»)
3. (διαλ.) ακουμπώ, στηρίζομαι.
[< τουρκ. dayandim, αόρ. του ρ. dayanmak «στηρίζομαι»]

ανταγιάντιστος: ανυπόφορος, αβάσταχτος

Έχω μεράκι, έχω νταλγκά
κανένας δεν τον νταγιαντά

Μια αδικία σαν κι αυτή
δεν τηνε νταγιαντίζω
ντρέτα λοιπόν θα σου το πω
θα σου τ' ομολογήσω

Πως αδικία σαν κι αυτή
μ' αίμα θε να ξεπλύνω
Μα αίμα σαν δε σου βρίσκεται
και με ρακή τη σβήνω

Thanks, Marinos. So it was worth asking after all. I sometimes get the (wholly ]unjustified) impression that my threads are of no interest or significance to other lexilogists. :(

Theseus, for what my opinion may be worth, your threads range from very interesting to riveting. I am in awe of your courage, progress, and perseverance.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Μέσ' του Μαγιού τις μυρωδιές (παραδοσιακό) - Γιάννης Μαρκόπουλος + Βασίλης Σκουλάς

Μες στου Μαγιού τις μυρωδιές, τα κόκκινα κεράσια
για δέστε πως χορεύουνε της Κρήτης τα κοράσια

Άλλο χορό δε χαίρομαι, μόνο τον πεντοζάλη
που κάνει τρία ζάλα μπρος και δυο γιαγέρνει πάλι

Δεν ημπορώ, βασιλικέ, κρυφά να σε ποτίζω
γιατί είναι οι μυρωδιές πολλές και δεν τσι νταγιαντίζω

Δεν ημπορώ, βασιλικέ
να σε βαγιοκλαδίζω

γιατί 'χεις μυρωδιές πολλές
και δε τζι νταγιαντίζω

I am deeply touched by your comment, Levki. I love modern Greece. Having been brought up on Ancient Greek and led to believe that the modern language and culture was negligible, I have found that to the contrary all things to do with modern Greece are utterly fascinating and Lexilogia stands as a monument to the scholarship that covers all periods of this wonderful and ancient tongue.
A question now: in the poem originally submitted by Palαύρα δηλ. ...

Μια αδικία σαν κι αυτή
δεν τηνε νταγιαντίζω
ντρέτα λοιπόν θα σου το πω
θα σου τ' ομολογήσω

Πως αδικία σαν κι αυτή
μ' αίμα θε να ξεπλύνω
Μα αίμα σαν δε σου βρίσκεται
και με ρακή τη σβήνω

I can't make sense of the line in bold. Does it mean 'because you don't have any blood on you, I can also quench it with raki?'.
What is the origin of these words?

I'm still struggling a bit with the Rebetik song έχω μεράκι, έχω νταλγκά but I will enter that as a separate thread tomorrow. :)

Just quickly (it's late!) "If you haven't got/can't find any blood, [then...]" σαν = if; δε = δεν.

I too was brought up to think of Ancient Greek as the acme of perfection and of Mod Gr as an unworthy successor. I am glad that we have both found that to be anything but the truth (mind you, it was a stiff argument sometimes!)

Goodnight
Philip