Τα καλύτερα μουσικά γιουτιουμπάκια: Λέοναρντ Κοέν

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Nevermind

Τον Λέοναρντ Κοέν στη μουσική, όπως και τον Γούντι Άλεν στο σινεμά, θα τους συναντήσεις όπως συναντάς έναν παλιό αγαπημένο φίλο, με όλα εκείνα τα καλά που εκτιμάς και περιμένεις απ’ αυτόν. Έτσι θα αγκαλιάσεις και το καινούργιο άλμπουμ του Κοέν, το Popular Problems. Πριν από μία εβδομάδα ακριβώς (21/9/2014) ο Κοέν έκλεισε τα 80 του χρόνια.

Το Never Mind κυκλοφόρησε σαν ποίημα το 2006 στο Book of Longing — και ακούγεται τώρα σαν διάβασμα ποιήματος.

Ολόκληρο το άλμπουμ υπάρχει στο YouTube και το Spotify.

The war was lost | And all of this | Never mind
The treaty signed | Expressions of | Never mind
I was not caught | The Sweet Indifference | I had to leave
I crossed the line | Some call Love | My life behind
| |
I was not caught | The High Indifference | The story’s told
Though many tried | Some call Fate | With facts and lies
I live among you | But we had Names | You own the world
Well disguised | More intimate | So never mind
| |
I had to leave | Names so deep and | Never mind
My life behind | Names so true | Never mind
I dug some graves | They’re blood to me | I live the life
You’ll never find | They’re dust to you | I left behind
| |
The story’s told | There is no need | I live it full
With facts and lies | That this survives | I live it wide
I had a name | There’s truth that lives | Through layers of time
But never mind | And truth that dies | You can’t divide
| |
Never mind | Never mind | My woman’s here
Never mind | Never mind | My children too
The war was lost | I live the life | Their graves are safe
The treaty signed | I left behind | From ghosts like you
| |
There’s truth that lives | There’s truth that lives | In places deep
And truth that dies | And truth that dies | With roots entwined
I don’t know which | I live the life | I live the life
So never mind | I left behind | I left behind
| |
Your victory was | I could not kill | The war was lost
So complete | The way you kill | The treaty signed
That some among you | I could not hate | I was not caught
Thought to keep | I tried, I failed | I crossed the line
| |
A record of | You turned me in | I was not caught
Our little lives | At least you tried | Though many tried
The clothes we wore | You side with them | I live among you
Our spoons, our knives | Whom you despise | Well disguised
| |
The games of luck | This was your heart |
Our soldiers played | This swarm of flies |
The stones we cut | This was once your mouth |
The songs we made | This bowl of lies |
| |
Our law of peace | You serve them well |
Which understands | I’m not surprised |
A husband leads | You’re of their kin |
A wife commands | You’re of their kind |

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Hear Leonard Cohen Cover George Jones' 'Choices' at a Stunning Soundcheck, Rolling Stone, March 31, 2015

The moving track will appear on the singer-songwriter's forthcoming 'Can't Forget: A Souvenir of the Grand Tour'

Leonard Cohen's 2008 to 2013 world tour was one of the most stunning resurrections in rock history. After a 15-year period when the iconic songwriter was rarely seen in public, let alone onstage, he was suddenly performing three-and-a-half hour concerts that quickly moved from tiny theaters to massive arenas. By the time all was said and done, he'd played over 370 gigs and crossed the globe many times over.

The tour produced three separate live albums, but virtually nobody knew about the amazing music being made during soundchecks. This was a time for Cohen and the band to experiment with songs from his back catalog, as well as to learn covers and even test out some in-progress originals. Cohen's
new album, Can't Forget: A Souvenir of the Grand Tour (due in stores on May 12th), is a collection of the best moments from these soundchecks, as well as a few selections taped during the actual gigs.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
You Want It Darker (feat. Cantor Gideon Y. Zelermyer)
Leonard Cohen

If you are the dealer, I'm out of the game
If you are the healer, it means I'm broken and lame
If thine is the glory then mine must be the shame
You want it darker
We kill the flame

Magnified, sanctified, be thy holy name
Vilified, crucified, in the human frame
A million candles burning for the help that never came
You want it darker

Hineni, hineni
I'm ready, my lord

There's a lover in the story
But the story's still the same
There's a lullaby for suffering
And a paradox to blame
But it's written in the scriptures
And it's not some idle claim
You want it darker
We kill the flame

They're lining up the prisoners
And the guards are taking aim
I struggled with some demons
They were middle class and tame
I didn't know I had permission to murder and to maim
You want it darker

Hineni, hineni
I'm ready, my lord

Magnified, sanctified, be thy holy name
Vilified, crucified, in the human frame
A million candles burning for the love that never came
You want it darker
We kill the flame

If you are the dealer, let me out of the game
If you are the healer, I'm broken and lame
If thine is the glory, mine must be the shame
You want it darker

Hineni, hineni
Hineni, hineni
I'm ready, my lord

Hineni
Hineni, hineni
Hineni

The word 'Hineni' means 'Here I am' in a spiritual sense, which is what Abraham says and means to God to indicate his readiness when he is called on in Genesis 22:1 (הִנֵּֽנִי hinnênî). (Wikipedia)

Inside Leonard Cohen's Late-Career Triumph 'You Want It Darker'
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/inside-leonard-cohens-late-career-triumph-w447921

Written by Leonard Cohen, Patrick Leonard • Copyright © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Τον ευχαριστώ για όλα όσα μου έδωσε. Και θα μου δίνει.

pidyo

Τις προάλλες έλεγα στη γυναίκα μου ότι ο Κοέν θα είναι ο μόνος καλλιτέχνης τον θάνατο του οποίου θα νιώσω ως προσωπική (με την κυριολεκτική έννοια του όρου) απώλεια. Το είπα όταν διάβασα το άρθρο στο Rolling Stone και άκουσα την σπαρακτική, με βάρος αιώνων ανθρώπινης αγωνίας εκφορά του Hineni στο You want it darker.

Στις αρχές του έτους πέθανε ο Μπόουι μετά από άλλη μια δήλωση ετοιμοθανάτου, το Lazarus, με το φοβερό βίντεο ενός αθεράπευτου performer. Ο Κοέν είχε περισσότερο χρόνο για μελέτη θανάτου. Μη μείνουμε στη γνωστή δήλωση της τελευταίας του συνέντευξης στο New Yorker, ότι είναι έτοιμος για τον θάνατο, δήλωση που αναπαράγεται σε όλα τα ΜΜΕ σήμερα. Πολύ πιο ουσιαστικά και χαρακτηριστικά κοενική είναι η αναίρεση της δήλωσης αυτής σε μια μεταγενέστερη συνέντευξη: Uh, I said I was ready to die recently. And I think I was exaggerating. I’ve always been into self-dramatization. I intend to live forever.

Το ιερό στον Κοέν είναι πάντοτε αυτοσαρκαστικό, απτό, υλικό, σωματικό και αποδραματοποιημένο, παρά το βάρος των θρησκευτικών κειμένων που τον ενέπνεαν.

Στο άρθρο στο Rolling Stone συνειδητοποίησα το πραγματικό βάρος της τριετούς περιοδείας του, που τον τσάκισε σωματικά και τον ανύψωσε πνευματικά. Αναρωτήθηκα λοιπόν ποιο ήταν το τελευταίο κομμάτι που έπαιξε στον δημόσιο βίο του, αυτός ο απρόθυμος περφόρμερ, που έπρεπε να φτάσει τα 70 του για να νιώσει άνετα στην σκηνή. Είναι νομίζω πολύ χαρακτηριστικό:

Δεν είναι δικό του τραγούδι -το σβήσιμο του εαυτού. Δεν είναι σπουδαίο τραγούδι -ο σεβασμός του μικρού και του απλού. Είναι ένα δημοφιλές τραγουδάκι που όλοι γνωρίζουν -η αγάπη για το σύνηθες και το οικείο. Είναι ένα αγαπησιάρικο τραγούδι -οι γυναίκες, οι άλλοι άνθρωποι, ο άνθρωπος. Λίγους μήνες προτού μείνει κατάκοιτος προσπαθεί να απομιμηθεί χορευτικές κινήσεις -Η χαρά της γιορτής, αλλά και Ι ache in places where I used to play. Ανεβαίνουν στη σκηνή όλοι οι συντελεστές -η κοινότητα του Partizan, οι άλλοι. Κινούνται άχαρα όπως κι αυτός -we were ugly but we had the music.

So long, Leonard.

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Έγραψε ο Άνταμ Κοέν στο λογαριασμό του στο Facebook πλάι σε μια λαμπρή φωτογραφία του πατέρα του:

My sister and I just buried my father in Montreal. With only immediate family and a few lifelong friends present, he was lowered into the ground in an unadorned pine box, next to his mother and father. Exactly as he’d asked. As I write this I’m thinking of my father’s unique blend of self-deprecation and dignity, his approachable elegance, his charisma without audacity, his old-world gentlemanliness and the hand-forged tower of his work. There’s so much I wish I could thank him for, just one last time. I’d thank him for the comfort he always provided, for the wisdom he dispensed, for the marathon conversations, for his dazzling wit and humor. I’d thank him for giving me, and teaching me to love Montreal and Greece. And I’d thank him for music; first for his music which seduced me as a boy, then for his encouragement of my own music, and finally for the privilege of being able to make music with him. Thank you for your kind messages, for the outpouring of sympathy and for your love of my father.

https://www.facebook.com/AdamCohenM...212317039599/1284718111589008/?type=3&theater

Δεν θα τον ξεχάσουμε και όλο θα ξαναβρίσκουμε καινούργια στη δουλειά του.

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Από το The Flame του Λέοναρντ Κοέν (poems notebooks lyrics drawings, edited by Robert Fagen and Alexandra Pleshoyano) :

Leonard Cohen poem about Tom Waits.jpg

Και μεταφρασμένο στα ελληνικά από τον Κώστα Λαγό, εκεί:

Last edited by a moderator:

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
mix & match: Κοέν, Κινκς, Κιλαπαγιούν, Θεοδωράκης, Γιαμάστα

69133037_10157810562949644_642249270342189056_n.jpg

On September 7, 1974, Leonard appeared at the Fête de l'Humanité (The Feast of Humanity), an event organized every year by the newspaper L'Humanité, in conjunction with the French Communist Party. Leonard performed a 16-song set including a short cover of the song "Beloved Comrade."

Με αφορμή εκείνο: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7600742/

"You look around and you see a world that cannot be made sense of. You either raise your fist or you say hallelujah. I try to do both."
~ Leonard Cohen

Last edited: