metafrasi banner

Περαστικά

cosmasad

Hello all,

When someone is seriously ill would it be wrong to say «Περαστικά»? For example with a life threatening disease? Would «Περαστικά» be more appropriate for a cold, covid, the flue or a broken leg?

I've wondered about that too. I believe that we wouldn't say "Περαστικά" but rather something like "(Εύχομαι) να πάνε όλα καλά", though I'm not sure.

SBE

¥
How would you use "get well soon"? Would you say that to someone suffering from a terminal illness? If yes, then you can use περαστικά.
Α cold, covid, flu or broken leg are all curable.

cosmasad

Coming back to this subject, would "Καλή Ανάρρωση" be more appropriate for someone with a life-threatening illness that might or might not be fatal like cancer?

m_a_a_

In my humble opinion, καλή ανάρρωση would sound even more inappropriate than περαστικά, if addressing, say, a cancer patient.
Καλή ανάρρωση is something you typically say to someone who has already overcome the severest part of an illness and is entering the stage of recovery. Περαστικά is actually more versatile - at least that's how I see it.
Something else you could say to a person that's facing prolonged and more or less unpredictable hardships (be it disease, loss, divorce or what not) is Καλή δύναμη...

cosmasad

Following up on this thread, if someone's spouse is seriously ill and may or may not get well would "Να σας ζήσει" be appropriate or would that only be used for a new born child?