Απρίλη μου, Απρίλη μου ξανθέ

Earion

Staff member
Well well, I don't have the right words to describe this! The whole thing began quite innocently as recommendations to a friend and now it is fast turning into a full course of Modern Greek Culture. Praise should be dealt equally to the patient teacher (SBE) and to the attentive scholar (Theseus). Now, let's get down to business.

1. Περιβόητος need not have necessarily sinister connotations here. I would choose a milder variant: “much vaunted” (already Theseus’ suggestion), “much sung”, “much chanted”.
2. αβρός “of gentle ways, of noble conduct” need not clash with the image of a youth avidly, greedily consuming the juices sapped from the trees. April is both guided by and personifying the forces of life, the vital spirit of Spring.
3. λεία is the adjective (plural, neuter) attached to the trees. Λεία δέντρα : smooth, slick trees.
Sarandaris belonged in the avant-guard of modern Greek poetry (Odysseus Elytis admitted openly he owed much to him). So it is best to think in images rather than words; or alternatively in words that spark images to the mind; or even better having a look at the young angel of Tsaroukhis and trying to match words to image.

4. I would divide the lyrics of Απαγωγή somewhat differently, to make it clearer.

Απαγωγή

Θα πάρω μια βαρκούλα —μανούλα μου— στον Κάτω Γαλατά
και στην Αθήνα θα ’ρθω —καρδούλα μου— καβάλα στο Νοτιά.

Και σαν θα ’ρθει το δειλινό στον κήπο σου θα μπω,
να κόψω τα τριαντάφυλλα, να κόψω τ’ άστρα τ’ ουρανού και τον Αυγερινό.

Θα βάλω στη βαρκούλα —μανούλα μου— λουλούδια και φιλιά,
δυο γλάροι ταξιδεύουν —καρδούλα μου— καβάλα στο Βοριά.

Και νάτη η Κρήτη φάνηκε, γαλάζια και ξανθιά,
τη θάλασσα στα μάτια της, τον ουρανό στην αγκαλιά, τον ήλιο στα μαλλιά.

Θ’ αράξω τη βαρκούλα —μανούλα μου— μπροστά σε μια σπηλιά,
θα σε ταΐζω χάδια —καρδούλα μου— καβούρια και φιλιά.

Στη μάνα μου, στον κύρη μου, λέγω και τραγουδώ,
«Σας φέρνω την τριανταφυλλιά, σας φέρνω τ’ άστρα τ’ ουρανού και τον Αυγερινό».

(P.S. And, for the love of God, please try not to bring the worst moments of Eleni Tsaligopoulou in Lexilogia again!)

You have really done an immense amount on my behalf, SBE! Interestingly enough, I tried to access the '60s versions but several I found on YouTube said 'this recording is no longer available'. I listened to the haunting music of Ο σκληρός Απρίλης, recommended by Earion. It seems that Eliot's The Waste Land inspired the title:-
I. THE BURIAL OF THE DEAD

APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Earion, thanks so much to you for all your detailed help. Please forgive, both of you, a novice in this field. Eleni Tsaligopoulou was (but not now!) wholly unknown to me. I tried to find the best versions, as I said above, but for some reason they were unavailable. Thanks also, Earion, for the helpful division of the lyrics of Απαγωγή. The stanzas make instant sense instead of my having to untangle the words.
A word to SBE: I was exactly in the same position as you when I was set Latin or Greek literary questions. We were just not taught any methodology. Now a whole industry has burgeoned around literary criticism. I suspect that you, like me, were good, if not excellent, in the matter of linguistic analysis.
I am now, as a teacher of Classics being phased out for financial reasons. But fortunately I have modern Greek & lexilogia to occupy my time! Very many thanks to both of you for your never-failing help.:):)

SBE

¥
I cannot possibly agree with this assertion, and I don't think Theodorakis himself "never hid this fact".
You can disagree as much as you like, Theodorakis has mentioned issues such as when it is best to release a record to maximise profits etc, and as far as I know he's the only one of his generation who has been heard to make such comments (and no, I don't have a citable reference handy, just my memory). Others prefer to pretend they are in it for the art. Some prefer to have the audience to sit in silence until the end of the performance.
Needless to say that I find Theodorakis unbearable- not his music, him as a celebrity, and as a singer of some of his music.

Oh, and by the way, Theseus, something I wanted to say from the start: Farantouri has an amazing voice, but she manages to make most music sound like a military march, so I would suggest you try other covers. And I couldn't agree more with Earion's opinion of Tsaligopoulou (can't describe how happy I am her fifteen minutes of fame are over).

PS Re: Μαργαρώ. I have only heard that diminutive in this song, but most Greek feminine name can be turned into something that ends in -ω. Λενιώ, Μαριώ, Κατερινιώ, Αφρώ (Αφροδίτη), Δέσπω κλπ

Last edited by a moderator:
I listened to the haunting music of Ο σκληρός Απρίλης, recommended by Earion. It seems that Eliot's The Waste Land inspired the title:-
I. THE BURIAL OF THE DEAD

APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
And of course you guessed right. There is also its twin record (always by Hatzidakis), Πασχαλιές μέσα από τη νεκρή γη - Lilacs out of the dead land.
https://youtu.be/60uCMap7kxc
Here is his note from the 1962 LP. Worth reading:
Ο τίτλος του έργου, μου βγήκε μέσα από το δεύτερο στίχο της «Έρημης Χώρας»* του Έλιοτ, που πρωτογνώρισα το 1943 στη θαυμαστή μετάφραση του Γιώργου Σεφέρη. Ήμουν δεκαοχτώ χρονώ και ως τα είκοσί μου, που τελείωσε ο πόλεμος, ανακάλυπτα την Μεσόγειο, τον Ήλιο, τον Χριστό, την Ελλάδα και τα Ρεμπέτικα. Κάτι περίεργες και πρωτοφανέρωτες για μένα μελωδίες, μου κινήσαν την προσοχή και με φέρανε σε περιοχές πιο αυστηρές και πιο αληθινές. Μπήκα μέσα σε μικρά μαγαζιά, απίθανα κρυμμένα κι απλησίαστα, σε χώρους μυσταγωγικούς, με κείνη την τολμηρή αστοχασιά της νεότητας, μαγεμένος από τα γυάλινα κεντήματα των μπουζουκιών, από τον επίμονο και διαπεραστικό ήχο του μπαγλαμά, θαμπωμένος από το μεγαλείο και τη βαθύτητα των μελωδικών φράσεων, ξένος, μικρός κι αδύναμος, πίστεψα με μιας πως το τραγούδι αυτό που άκουγα, ήταν δικιά μου, μια ολότελα δικιά μου υπόθεση. Τον ίδιο καιρό, ο Τσαρούχης μου συνειδητοποιούσε το λυρισμό της γειτονιάς μου, ο Ελύτης τη λατρεία του Ελληνικού Ήλιου και ο Σεφέρης με τον Γκάτσο τη δυσκολία και τη σοφία της Ελληνικής γης, ενώ το υγιές ένστικτό μου με οδηγούσε μακριά από τη ρηχότητα των «πολιτισμένων» ελαφρών μας τραγουδιών ή από τη Βαλκανική Ρωμιοσύνη της «σοβαρής» μας μουσικής. Τα μπουζούκια τότε, στα μικρά και χωρίς αξιώσεις κέντρα τους, δεν είχαν φωτεινές επιγραφές από Νέον, δεν είχαν βεντέτες και ονόματα ηχηρά, δεν παρίσταναν τους «Έλληνες» για τους Τουρίστες, αλλά με σεμνότητα, με λάμπες πετρελαίου πολλές φορές, λειτουργούσαν απλά και ξεδίπλωναν με φανταστική δύναμη, μεράκια, βιώματα και πάθη, γνησίως Ελληνικά.

Το 1949, πρωτομίλησα γι’ αυτά τα τραγούδια, με φανατισμό και με αφέλεια, αλλά και με ιδέες και τόλμη, σε μια σειρά διαλέξεων που οργάνωσε το «Θέατρο Τέχνης». Κανείς δεν με πίστεψε, όμως όλοι συγχώρησαν τη νεανικότητά μου. Το 1950, παρουσίασα τις «Έξι Λαϊκές Ζωγραφιές». Όλοι νόμισαν πως εξευγένισα επιτυχώς τα μπουζούκια, χωρίς να σκεφθούν πώς, ποια ανάγκη μπορούσε να με οδηγήσει στο να εξευγενίζω τραγούδια μη ευγενή, γιατί να διοχετεύω το οποιοδήποτε ταλέντο μου στην υπηρεσία μιας μουσικής, που για να υπάρξει, είχε την ανάγκη μου; Είχαν και πάλι λάθος. Η επιτυχία όμως των «Έξι Λαϊκών Ζωγραφιών», ξύπνησε τους εμπόρους, τα ελαφρά θέατρα, τους μικροπρεπείς μουσικούς, τη βαθμιαία αναπτυσσόμενη τουριστική επιδίωξη, το εύκολο «Ελληνικόν μένος» των διεθνών μας προσωπικοτήτων, ώσπου ήρθε η ταινία «Ποτέ την Κυριακή» και στάθηκε η χαριστική βολή σ’ αυτό που υπήρξε κάποτε το Λαϊκό μας τραγούδι. Σήμερα, ύστερα από είκοσι χρόνια, σαν προσευχή, θέλησα να κάμω αυτόν τον δίσκο και νομίζω πως πέτυχα να ξαναζωντανέψω όλο εκείνο το μελωδικό υλικό, που χρόνια τώρα διατηρούσα μέσα μου και συγχρόνως να εκφράσω όλη την εφηβική ευαισθησία ενός Νέου Έλληνα με παράδοση, μαζί με κείνη τη λεπτή κι ανοιξιάτικη θρησκευτική ατμόσφαιρα του Επιταφίου. Μαζί κι ο Έλιοτ με τον Τσαρούχη, που ζωγράφισε το εξώφυλλο, συνθέτουν την αληθινή νεανική μου ευαισθησία και ζωγραφίζουν μ’ όλες τις αποχρώσεις μια λιτανεία από εντατικές στιγμές. Η φιλοδοξία μου ήταν να φτιάξω ένα έργο, για όλους τους αληθινούς Νέους. «Για τους γενναίους, τους ελεύθερους και δυνατούς», όπως θα έλεγε ο Εγγονόπουλος την εποχή εκείνη”.

*«Ο Απρίλης είναι ο μήνας ο σκληρός, γεννώντας
Μες απ’ την πεθαμένη γη τις πασχαλιές, σμίγοντας
Θύμηση κι επιθυμία, ταράζοντας
Με τη βροχή της άνοιξης ρίζες οκνές…»

Η αρχή από την «Έρημη Χώρα» του Έλιοτ, σε μετάφραση του Γιώργου Σεφέρη, πρώτη έκδοση, «Ίκαρος», Ιούλιος 1936.

Thanks, SBE, again and Marinos. I do not know enough to join in the fray so I will let that pass. But the note you gave me to read is utterly fascinating, Marinos!

Here is a translation I found of Απαγωγή (Sweet Abduction):-
Music and Lyrics by Mikis Theodorakis

"From down at Galata, my love,
From there a boat I'll take,
On south wind, dearest heart, I'll come
For Athens I will make.

And at dusk to you I'll come
Into your garden there
I'll roses cut and from the sky
I'll have the stars and the Morning Star.

And in the boat, my precious love,
I'll put my flowers and kisses
And then we'll sail on northern breeze,
Two seagulls flying with us.

And there before us now is Crete
All shining blue and fair,
In her eyes the sea, in her arms the sky,
The sun in her golden hair.

The boat I'll moor by a cave, my love,
We'll feed on all we wish
Sea food from the ocean blue,
And soft caress and kiss.

To father and mother I'll sing:
I'm bringing you the sweetest rose
I'm bringing you the stars in the sky and the Morning Star".

The lyrics, omitted earlier:

Η Μαργαρίτα η Μαργαρώ,
περιστεράκι στον ουρανό...
τον ουρανό μες στα δυο σου μάτια κοιτάζω,
βλέπω την Πούλια και τον Αυγερινό.

Η μάνα σου είναι τρελή
και σε κλειδώνει μοναχή,
σαν θέλω νa ’μπω στην κάμαρή σου
μου ρίχνεις μεταξωτό σκοινί,
και κλειδωμένους μας βλέπει η νύχτα,
μας βλέπουν τ’ άστρα κι η χαραυγή.

Η Μαργαρίτα η Μαργαρώ,
βαρκούλα στο Σαρωνικό...
Σαρωνικέ μου, τα κυματάκια σου δώσ’ μου,
δώσ’ μου τ’ αγέρι, δώσ’ μου το πέλαγο.

Η μάνα σου είναι τρελή
και σε κλειδώνει μοναχή,
σαν θέλω να ’μπω στην κάμαρή σου
μου ρίχνεις μεταξωτό σκοινί,
και κλειδωμένους μας βλέπει η νύχτα,

Η Μαργαρίτα η Μαργαρώ,
δεντράκι στο Βοτανικό...
Πάρε το τραμ μόλις δεις πως πέφτει η νύχτα,
πέφτουν οι ώρες, πέφτω, λιποθυμώ.

Η μάνα μου είναι τρελή
και με κλειδώνει μοναχή,
σαν θέλω να ’μπεις στην κάμαρή μου
σου ρίχνω μεταξωτό σχοινί,
και κλειδωμένους μας βλέπει η νύχτα

And an online translation:

Margaret, Margaro,
Little dove in the sky,
inside your two eyes I can see at the sky
I see the glitter and the stars.

Your mother is mad
and has shut you in all alone.
When I want to come into your room
you throw me a silken ladder
and as we are shut in together, the night looks on us,
the stars look on us, and the dawn.

Margaret, Margarita!
Little boat on the Saronic Gulf,
sweep me on, give to me those little waves,
give me the wind, give me the sea!

Your mother is mad
and has shut you in all alone.
When I want to come into your room
you throw me a silken ladder

Margaret, Margaro!
Little tree in Votaniko square!
Take the tram as you see how the night falls,
the hours pass, I'm falling down, I'm passing out.

My mother is mad
and has shut me in all alone.
When I want you to come into my room
I throw you a silken ladder

Just for my records...... As one now to dumb forgetfulness a prey!:)2

I have just about translated the Solomos Temptation passage. I will submit it sometime tomorrow. BTW, SBE, the Shoestring edition of The Free Besieged is out of print and currently unavailable anywhere I have searched for it, including Abebooks and Alibris. No matter, I think I have produced an accurate and tolerable rendering. Whew! :)

SBE

¥
The Hellenic Centre appears to have some copies at £6, here.
While you are there, you might also want to purchase Romiosini.

PS I disagree with Earion that in this thread we covered most of Greek music culture of the 20th century. We barely touched the 50s and early 60s.

Earion

Staff member
Well done again. Only two factual points:

“I see the glitter and the stars” : Πούλια is the popular name for Pleiades; Αυγερινός is the popular name for the Mornig Star (the planet Venus).

Votanikos is not a simple square; it is a whole neighborhood with the Athens Botanical Garden at its core. A working class neighborhood --hence the rembetiko song Του Βοτανικού ο μάγκας.

Thanks, Earion. It was not my translation. As I said above it was an online one that I found. Nevertheless, your notes are worth remembering. What is the Greek for the Evening Star? Αποσπερίτης; Έσπερος;

Neikos

What is the Greek for the Evening Star? Αποσπερίτης; Έσπερος;

Και τα δύο, Θησέα, αλλά κυρίως χρησιμοποιείται το πρώτο.
Το Έσπερος πιο πιθανό είναι το συναντήσεις ως όνομα αθλητικού σωματίου ή στην ταμπέλα κανενός ξενοδοχείου, κέντρου διασκέδασης κλπ.

Θανάσης Παπακωνσταντίνου - Αποσπερίτης

Earion

Staff member
Thanassis Papakonstantinou? The one who composed also a song about the Morning Star? :D
Here it is (performed by the sorely missed Nikos Papazoglou) (Too many names for you, Theseus, I understand :s )

Thanks, Neikos. Does της νύχτας το μετέωρο mean the meteor of the night or the shooting star? :) Thanks, Earion: a lovely song. No problems with the lyrics. I presume that αστέρι, που πριν έρθεις καν, καν is a postposited particle, meaning, as usual, 'even if'?

SBE

¥
Σε απάντηση αυτού που είπε ο Εάριος περί μαθήματος ελληνικής κουλτούρας: έχουμε ακόμα πολύ δρόμο. Ακόμα δεν έχει ανακαλύψει ο Θησέας αρχοντορεμπέτικα, νέο κύμα, Χατζιδάκι, Ξαρχάκο, Μαρκόπουλο κλπ.

Does αρχοντο- here mean 'dominant'? The prefix in compounds has too many uses for me to determine exactly what it means in conjunction with ρεμπέτικα. Thanks.
BTW, since Mikis Theodorakis wrote over a thousand songs, what are generally considered the best? So far, Απαγωγή is my favourite.

Earion

Staff member
Αρχοντο- here means “destined for the upper classes”, hence “of refined taste”. Once the real rebetika gained a larger audience, sometime in the late forties-early fifties, mainstream composers and verse writers rushed to fill the market with imitation songs to satisfy the growing demand. They were mainly performed in theatre reviews (what in Greek is called επιθεωρήσεις), and a lot of them were creations of high quality.

SBE

¥
And of course αρχονοτρεμπέτικα were "in the style of" but with themes and vocabulary more suitable for polite society. Here is a selection: