Recent content by Theseus

  1. Theseus

    as you do

    Thanks, cougr!
  2. Theseus

    snaps (and buttons)

    Why not το πρες μπουτόν; I think I heard that in our Greek small talk class when we were learning clothing terms (not my most memorable topic of interest!).
  3. Theseus

    as you do

    Is there a greek equivalent for the semi-humorous (or sometimes sarcastic) English expression ‘as you do’ which is used after doing something completely weird or random, as if it is normal. It has become very common in recent years. Would κλασικά do? Here is a collection of examples:- I spent...
  4. Theseus

    ρίδα(??) καλησπέρα

    Thanks, Duke, for the enlightening exposition of this song and, in particular, for the lyrics. It seems that after all it was worth asking for help 👍.
  5. Theseus

    ρίδα(??) καλησπέρα

    Thanks, cougr! At least I heard the word aright but the word ‘coconut’ never occurred to me! Very apt for this magic island and well suited to the vocabulary of a pirate. «Να κομματιαστούν τα ύφαλά μου» ή <<να διαλυθεί το καράβι μου κομμάτια!» as AI translates the the typical piratical...
  6. Theseus

    ρίδα(??) καλησπέρα

    In the lovely child’s song η δεσποίνις χελώνα, ai 1:19 minutes approximately, Captain Crab greats Miss Turtle with what seems to be the above words but I can’t make any sense of what seems to be the ρίδα word. It is obviously a simple and common word but sometimes so am I! Can anyone help? Here...
  7. Theseus

    Φυσάω

    As often in the old, ‘to dumb forgetfulness a prey’/ βορά στη βουβή λήθη…..Thanks, cougr, (and anepipsogos)!
  8. Theseus

    Φυσάω

    And φυσάει without the τα means ‘he is gorgeous’. See
  9. Theseus

    Whoosh (of a spike or high in a mood) and its opposite, a crash.

    Thanks so much for the translation, Nickel. This is the sort of answer I could never get from any dictionary, AI or google translate. I am learning spoken Greek as fast as I can, hence anything I see that I wish to find a proper translation of has me scurrying to lexilogia!
  10. Theseus

    Whoosh (of a spike or high in a mood) and its opposite, a crash.

    This paragraph is from an article in a Sunday British newspaper about a woman’s binge drinking and the struggle to give the habit up:- “This is what happened. The whoosh, the roller coaster, the incalculable drop if I stopped. The next day terrible, despairing gloom. The intense rush and...
  11. Theseus

    Himpathy

    @cougr:- As always with Sarant’s scholarship, the article you referred me too was fascinating from start to finish!🙃
  12. Theseus

    Himpathy

    I always appreciate your expertise. Thanks also for your link to Sarant’s article!
  13. Theseus

    Himpathy

    Thanks, cougr. It is one off the two trendy terms to come from Cornell University. The other is ‘empathy’ in its modern sense of ‘to stand in someone's shoes’.and not in its older sense of attributing human feelings to inanimate objects, δλδ. the ‘pathetic fallacy’. The late Charlie Kirk would...
  14. Theseus

    Himpathy

    Its etymology is obvious but here is a definition:- “Coined by Kate Manne, Associate Professor of Philosophy at Cornell University, in 2017 through her book, Down Girl: The Logic of Misogyny, himpathy refers to the disproportionate sympathy extended to a male perpetrator — especially those with...
  15. Theseus

    Is this English play on words possible in a Greek translation of the phrase ‘to go on’?

    Thanks to all! I didn’t know I had been guilty of intrasentiential code-mixing, cougr, but clearly I seem to be a pioneer: a first on lexilogia.gr!! What a CV now I have!…..”I am also ο πρώτος ενδοπροτασιακός μετατροπέας κωδίκων on an outstanding Greek language website”. Σχέδον αμέσως έγινα...
Back
Top