Distomo

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Κατά τα άλλα: Η ΕΕ μπορεί να μην είναι ακριβώς κλειστό σύστημα, η ευρωζώνη όμως είναι κάπως περισσότερο. Και ο διαφωτισμός των Μέιτζι δεν διαφέρει πολύ από εκείνον του Τανζιμάτ... (Παραδέχομαι επίσης ότι όσον αφορά το φταίξιμο της Τουρκοκρατίας έχω κάποιες, χμ, επαγγελματικές ευαισθησίες :)

Τρία ενδιαφέροντα θέματα σε τρεις αράδες, ίσως τα συζητήσουμε κάποτε με κάποια καλή αφορμή. Διατυπώνω με τίτλους τον προβληματισμό μου:

(1) Η ΕΕ μπορεί να μην είναι ακριβώς κλειστό σύστημα, η ευρωζώνη όμως είναι κάπως περισσότερο.
Πόσο; Και σε τι εμποδίζει την Ελλάδα να αναδειχτεί σε «σημαντική περιφερειακή οικονομική δύναμη»;

(2) Και ο διαφωτισμός των Μέιτζι δεν διαφέρει πολύ από εκείνον του Τανζιμάτ...
Ενδιαφέρων και εύλογος παραλληλισμός. Ενδιαφέρον επίσης ότι και οι δύο οδήγησαν σε εθνικιστικά κινήματα και μιλιταριστική πολιτική. Αντίθετα, ο ευρωπαϊκός διαφωτισμός δεν οδήγησε σε εθνικιστικές πολιτικές και πολεμικές αναμετρήσεις (εντάξει, αστειεύομαι...)

(3) Παραδέχομαι επίσης ότι όσον αφορά το φταίξιμο της Τουρκοκρατίας[...]
Αυτό ξέρω και πότε θα το συζητήσουμε. Όταν κυκλοφορήσει μια υπό έκδοση μετάφρασή μου, με βάση την οποία θα μπορέσω να διατυπώσω ανάγλυφα τον ισχυρισμό μου για το πού ακριβώς (νομίζω εγώ, πια) ότι μάς έφταιξε η Τουρκοκρατία. :)

I am noting these varied views on the state of Greece now from colleagues who know much more than I do. Suffice it to make three points:-
1) from the distinguished novelist Dame Hilary Mantel, who.claimed that history is only ever the best we can do based on the evidence that is left.
She stressed that history is always imperfect. While there may be some facts and figures from the past that we know to be indisputably accurate, there will also always be many more gaps, errors and unreliable witnesses. Mantel says history is “what’s left in the sieve when the centuries have run through it – a few stones, scraps of writing, scraps of cloth.”I respect colleagues on Lexilogia enough to realise that the quotation I have just cited leaves a large amount of room for many views. I am not talking of bigots or the self-educated who have learned no methodology to approach the past but educated people.
2) I always try not to break the first principle of Aristotle's canon of rhetoric to demand in every enquiry that degree of certainty which the subject matter allows. (And not on your life to pretend that you see further than you do.)
3) Most educated people accept that the Greeks have taught the British democracy. Not so according to a recent book by a scholar at Durham University. It was more because of the translation of the Bible into English, he argues persuasively, which made each person his own authority & thus equal to the scholars who had hitherto claimed it as their preserve. He traces the huge upheavals in social & cultural movements in Britain to that one 'fact'.

It seems that perceptions of history become themselves part of the history that is perceived.

Perhaps most of this discussion, where, inadvertently, I seem to have opened a Pandora's box, can be moved to the For political animals only section of Lexilogia & the discussion of the massacre at Distomo & other places in Greece remain here?