metafrasi banner

anathema = ανάθεμα; ή κάτι άλλο

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Λυπάμαι που δεν πρόλαβα να αντιγράψω από το ODE τα παραδείγματα του anathema, αλλά ανέβασαν παραπάνω κάποια ο cougr και ο pontios.
Εγώ τώρα πια θα καταφεύγω στο British National Corpus. Μου έδωσε 140 παραδείγματα με το anathema.
Πάντως, όταν αρχίσει ο pontios τις αναλύσεις του, θυμάμαι το Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Synonyms (που υπάρχει όλο, ορθάνοιχτο, στα Google Books). Αυτό το λεξικό ή θα με βοηθάει ή θα με διαολίζει, εξηγώντας σημασίες που θεωρώ απλές με δύσκολες λέξεις και στρυφνές εξηγήσεις. Στο λήμμα με το anathema είναι προσιτό:

Something is anathema (or an anathema) to one when it is banned from one’s presence or dismissed from one’s mind as being odious or beyond the pale. The word in this sense is always reminiscent of St. Paul’s use <if any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema—1 Cor 16:22> <had a flair for new writers. They were as welcome to him as they were anathema to most editors of that day—Repplier> <all plays are anathema to him, and he even disapproves of dancing bears—Quiller-Couch>

pontios

I used simpler words that were synonyms of the more difficult ones to make it more accessible.
I was trying to tie everything together ... starting from anathema = something repulsive that you'd want to stay clear of, and ending
with an accessible and readily understand word - affront - that could be used in its place that would work well with all the examples that cougr provided.

What you've quoted is no more accessible or easier to understand.
"Odious" carries a similar meaning to "vile" or repulsive. I used the word "vile."
So, 1 all.

"Beyond the pale" = "outrageous" more or less = something that causes outrage in a way.
I used the word "affront" which is an action or remark that causes "outrage."
So, it's a 2 all draw, in the complexity stakes.

Last edited: