OED birthday word generator: οι λέξεις που γεννήθηκαν μαζί μας...

drsiebenmal

HandyMod
Staff member
Καλά, σίγουρα μας παρακολουθούν... :) :devil:

Your OED birthday word is:
nitpick, v.
Meaning: To criticize (a thing) in an overzealous or pedantic fashion; to find fault with.

Alexandra

Super Moderator
Staff member
frenemy, n.
Meaning: A person with whom one is friendly, despite a fundamental dislike or rivalry; a person who combines the characteristics of a friend and an enemy.

Καλό!

beat poetry, n.
Meaning: Literary work produced by beat poets. Cf. beat poet n.

Καθόλου απρόβλεπτο, η δική μου είναι downloadable. Ή είσαι τέκνο της ψηφιακής επανάστασης ή δεν είσαι. :)

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Καθόλου απρόβλεπτο, η δική μου είναι downloadable. Ή είσαι τέκνο της ψηφιακής επανάστασης ή δεν είσαι. :)

Βρε βρε, ο ηλελληγεννής! :p Watch out for them firewalls.

Αδελφό τέκνο, η δική μου είναι το reboot!
And the reboot, to boot. ;)

daeman

Administrator
Staff member
Your OED birthday word is: cyberculture, n.

Meaning: The social conditions brought about by widespread automation and computerization; (in later use also) the culture surrounding computers and (esp.) the Internet.

I knew it! OED, QED. I just knew it in my bones I always had culture. Only it's a bit mouldy lately.
It may be high time for my cyborg phase.
Helle, here I come, I'll be uploadable. :p

Χαχαχα! Πολύ καλό! Εγώ είμαι με τη Μπέρνι, επί του φαγητού:

foodie, n.
Meaning: A person with a particular interest in food; a gourmet.

Υπονοεί κάτι δηλαδή τώρα; :twit:

guilt trip, n.
Meaning: An episode of severe, often excessive or unjustified self-reproach, esp. one deliberately provoked by another person; a state of mind in which a person is preoccupied by overriding feelings of guilt. Also: an attempt to instil such feelings in a person. Freq. in to lay a guilt trip on .

nickel

Administrator
Staff member
Αν δεν ήταν ελλιπές το σύστημα της Οξφόρδης, θα μαθαίναμε ότι η λέξη για την ανήλικη Λεξιλογία είναι, ας πούμε, recessionista.

recessionista
n. A person who dresses stylishly on a tight budget.

Example Citations:
She's superstylish, always able to buy a round of drinks and still seems to be wearing a new outfit every time you see her. She's a recessionista, that New York marvel who's a magnet for a good deal. And in this economy, she's got a lot to teach us. ... Finney agrees that aside from knowing where to find the best discounts, making better use of what you have is a key trait of the true recessionista.
—Eloise Parker, Frugal fashion: New Yorkers learn to look good for a lot less, Daily News (New York), July 13, 2008

A recessionista is a modern sort of girl who is trying to survive the credit crunch the best she can. We're all recessionistas now.
—Ann Marie Hourihane, There's money on it being a bad time to get divorced, The Irish Times, July 14, 2008

Earliest Citation:
When the barman asks for the second time whether I d like to see the menu, I finish up my glass of tap water and take my leave. He could have at least given me some peanuts. So much for the idea of recession chic.
—Leslie Ann Horgan, "Can you live like the boom during a bust? We challenged our writer to become a recessionista," Daily Mail, May 31, 2008

http://www.wordspy.com/words/recessionista.asp